Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No damage or Ferraris in GT4????

Options
  • 14-03-2005 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

will someone please tell me WHY there is not Ferraris or damage in GT4 :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well i'm not too up on racing games, but if you are a major car manufacturer it would be bad for your repetation to see your 150k + concept cars being smashed to bits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Because they couldn't get the license for Ferraris and car manufatures didn't want to see their prestigious cars damaged in a game. Or they were cheap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Car manufacturers dont want to see their new model Merc, for example, barrelling down the roat at 200mph and gettin busted into a 1000 pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Plenty of games with real cars have damage modelling, Ithink the reason gran turismo doesn't is because it would be too difficult to model the effects on handling as realistically as the rest of the game, and they would have to come up with a way to repair it without taking all the money you've earned and ruining your game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nigelino

Point lost.. thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm not really interested in racing games, but forza motorsport has damage to the cars. Its not out yet, but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

nigelino wrote:
    will someone please tell me WHY there is not Ferraris or damage in GT4 :mad:

Some licensed games do have damage models as has been pointed out. Basic example would be Ford and the Colin McRae series for instance.

Now, if you have 700 cars, the problem lies in just *one* manufacturer saying "no" to a damage model for whatever reasons and your game idea is unworkable unless you include a special "cars that can be damaged" race section which of course would be utterly stupid.

So while some games do have it, trying to get say TVR to agree is one thing but BMW might say clear off. It's not-workable on the GT scale of games but is on the small time games.

I'd rather have a manufacturer and cars included w/o damage than limited cars and with damage. It's 700 cars vs like 8 in most games.

Regarding the comment above on them not being able to model it realistically, I think evidence from the games suggests they are perfectly capable of modelling cars to any degree realistically - there's no conscpiracy behind it and it's not due to inability: I suspect it's purely down to the licensed manu's and one is all it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

ferrari and porsche have exclusive licenses to microsoft for PGR.
    That is why they are not in gt4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

CatInABox wrote:
    I'm not really interested in racing games, but forza motorsport has damage to the cars. Its not out yet, but still...

PGR2 had damage too.

maybe tis just Microsofty using their clout :) and big cheques!

Advertisement