Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i dont wish to be rude about limerick

Options
  • 14-03-2005 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

but i find the place to be the most depressing place ive ever been in ireland,limerick city is such a drab place and the area strikes me more as a large town then a city,as you may guess im in ul and its fabulous and is definitely the best thing about limerick but the city itself is awful,i think the city council should try and be a bit more imaginative because there is no reason why limerick cannot have the same kind of reputation as galway does or at least the visual splendour if you will.

it basically boils down to this,why would you go to limerick apart from going to college there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Metallicababe

Limerick is just like any where else in Ireland nothing to write home about...as 4 Galway I dont know why people get hung up about Galway City I never saw any beauty of the buildings there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

First of all, you're entitled to your opinion obviously. I don't know how you can say Limerick looks more like a big town and then go on to mention City and Galway in the same breath. Limerick is far bigger than Galway. Seriously, it is.

Galway would love to have something like Limerick's Dock Rd. architecture. I'm speaking of the buildings (e.g. Clarion) and the riverfront as a whole. It looks great in my opinion.

The next time you get the 302 or 308 into town - venture about a little bit. William St. looks awful, O' Connell St. isn't all that better (though it is better).

At least you criticised Limerick in a friendly way and you gave suggestions for it's improvement. Most people who criticise it just say "it's ****e" and leave it at that. That wrecks my head - when people work here and get educated here and still they put the place down. So disrespectful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

i didnt wish to dwell on other cities in comparison to limerick but i just think limericks planners could do with a little imagination in making limerick a lot more then it is,limerick is a lot like my home city of cork was 10-15 years ago,but thru things like the patrick st. redevelopment,docklands expansion and city of culture the city has a real positive vibe these days and will continue to do so as major developments continue to happen fot the foreseeable future.

with reference to galway,valid points are made to my original post but ultimately the question has to be asked;ask someone not from limerick where would they wish to go, galway or limerick, and i think we know the the most likely answer is to that question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Believe me planners are doing so much... Limerick is the countries bigget project. Hell they are moving the central area from O'Connell street to along the canal within 20 years, they released a 4 point plan about 2 years ago for the next 20 years or so. Look at Crusis Street or Authers Quay those where considered huge when they were being done but know thats childsplay... Lets put it this way Expect Changes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I don't wish to be rude about limerick...

so I won't say anything at all

hahahahahahaha

• Advertisement

Exactly

'I dont wanna be rude about Limerick' .... then dont be!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mordeth wrote:
    I don't wish to be rude about limerick...

so I won't say anything at all

hahahahahahaha

Says the person from Carlow biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The words Kettle, Pot and Black come to mind. rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

We all know why somebody would choose Galway rather than Limerick.
    Being from Cork, you may not realise this, but thanks to the media, everyone outside of Munster thinks that Limerick is like downtown Detroit! Or maybe even Bagdad!!!
    The city council have very little choice in the matter anyway, because of the repeated refusal to grant Limerick a much needed boundry extention.
    They are taking a big risk with the whole "growing up rather than out," scheme, and if it works out, Limerick will look pretty spectacular in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

id just like to make reference to the thread which said limerick is far bigger than galway and that galway would love to have quote *architecture* haha like the clarion hotel. as a half galway/limerick citizen and have spent many a time in both now living in galway CITY i would just like to make people aware that galway city is a city in fact it holds the title of the fastest growing city in western europe.the reason why many tend to believe that limerick is a bigger city, but this isn't neccesarily true is just that galway has only developed into the thriving city it is today in the last 25-30 years and therefore hasn't had as much time for its cbd to expand although its currently in the process. Limerick city does need a boundry extension to extend its population deservingly, but as for this growing upwards thing your trying,i have to say its a discrace Limerick has beautiful georgian architecture that should be maintained into the future not buldozed for monstrsities that have no eye appeal whatsoever and thats what many many galwegians think... this in MY opinion is one of the major reasons why galway has a better image because we have maintained our historical architectural landscape giving a sense your in a bustling Large town when in fact your in a Bustling city.. Maybe limerick should adopt this approach and stop trying to be something it isn't (An irish New York) because it's never to late to save whats already there....

Hey Jammy, dude wake! Seriously!
    Name one Georgian building knocked in Limerick in the last 10-20 years.
    Most of the buildings that have been knocked are the drab, or just downright ugly structures that were erected in the 60's and 70's.
    I mean, all of Limericks new developments are aimed towards the dockland area, which was nothing but warehouses, and empty spaces!
    All of the major historical buildings have been kept intact.
    All the Georgian buildings on O’Connell Street, the old sections of The City wall, Patrick Sarsfields house, all of these are still there, and will stay there.
    when Henry Street was being redeveloped, the designers had to keep to the original designs of the old buildings, hence the red brick theme.
    Galway had an atrocious record of caring for it's historical sights until a few years ago. The Spanish Arches was one of the most littered spots in the country.
    As for the whole "Little New York," thing, not even the most optimistic of Limerick men, would bring up a reference to Limerick being like New York!
    Everyone keeps saying that Limerick is drab and dull, so we go and knock down all the ugly buildings, and what do ye do but complain!
    Please, give us a chance will ye!!!
    P.S. Sorry about prattling on, but that post just had too many inaccuracies, not to be addressed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

i stand corrected about the docklands.... ill give you that,but as for every thing else in my post,all is accurate.. was just wondering if you could give me an example of this bad attitude to caring for its historical sights.. and as for the spanish arch it is now one of the cleanest areas of the city and has had extensive urban renewal.i think you may be getting confussed with king johns castle in limerick.

Hence me saying "untill recently!"
    Untill it was named and shamed in the media it was atrocious.
    As for the whole, all my other points were valid thing what other points?!
    And thanks for mentioning the whole King Johns Castle thing.
    Having a "historical," building with a tourist center, and a museum next door, really shows how we're neglecting our past.
    Unlike some arches behind a fence!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Hey Jammy, dude wake! Seriously!
    Name one Georgian building knocked in Limerick in the last 10-20 years.

aurthurs quay was lined with georgian buildings before the shopping centre was built.
    Most of the buildings that have been knocked are the drab, or just downright ugly structures that were erected in the 60's and 70's.
    I mean, all of Limericks new developments are aimed towards the dockland area, which was nothing but warehouses, and empty spaces!

some of the ugliest buildings have been listed, namely whats left of Ranks on the dock road, a big square building. on the up side though I hear Irish Wire is to be torn down and the site is to be redeveloped.
    Galway had an atrocious record of caring for it's historical sights until a few years ago. The Spanish Arches was one of the most littered spots in the country.

75 O Connell street has been renovated now that O Gorman Solicitors has moved into it, however from 76 O Connell Street up to the junction with Mallow street are in far from prestine condition. the best preserved buildings in my opinion have to be the ones at the Crescent on O Connell avenue.

The problem is that the City Council Rates are so damn high people occupying these buildings either cannot afford to redo these buildings or are prevented to because the restrictions placed on them on account of the buildings being listed.

They didnt tare down buildings for Authers Quay, those fell down ... shows what a sh*t hole the place was. Pictures are just inside the main door!!

As for Limerick not protecting its history, Limerick has the toughest rules in the country ... hell look at the bank returant ... they couldnt touch a wall!

Billy the buildings are also tidy along Perry Square where the Limerick Georgian Museum (or whatever its called) is, another great sign of how we are protecting our history.

Although I'd love for the rates to be lower (I run a shop in the city and it really eats into the profits, when the rent is hiked up!), we all know that the city council has no choice in the matter! Unless we get that boundry extension, we're bent over the proverbial barrel!!!
    As Limerick man said Arthers Quay practically imploded in upon itself. the buildings were condemed, so they had to come down.
    Look at all of the different segments of the Wall of Limerick that are preserved all around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

To be honest I haven't spent much time in Limerick at all (so take that into consideration and my opinions with some salt) But I have family in Ennis and have had to pass through Limerick on the Bus/Train fro years.
    The thing that always strikes me is that you know you're aproaching the city when you see about a half dozen burnt out cars from the train; doesnt really present an image of a friendly city tbh (also consider that many tourists would arrive by train),
    Is the Clarion that hotel on the river that looks like a ciggarette lighter; very cool looking building. Im always tempted to get off the bus and go over and investigate :)

Yes its in steamboat quay and is meant to be the ... what do u call it ... of the boat . lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Brerrabbit wrote:
    To be honest I haven't spent much time in Limerick at all (so take that into consideration and my opinions with some salt) But I have family in Ennis and have had to pass through Limerick on the Bus/Train fro years.
    The thing that always strikes me is that you know you're aproaching the city when you see about a half dozen burnt out cars from the train; doesnt really present an image of a friendly city tbh (also consider that many tourists would arrive by train),
    Is the Clarion that hotel on the river that looks like a ciggarette lighter; very cool looking building. Im always tempted to get off the bus and go over and investigate :)

Well to be equally fair, approaching Heuston station in Dublin is nothing to write home about either, some very unsavoury views of run down housing estates and grafitti on the back walls plus the regular stones thrown at the windows of the train is hardly an ideal image either.

Every city has its rough areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

very true! No matter where you go theres always some scumbag with a stone and the brainpower of porridge :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

but i find the place to be the most depressing place ive ever been in ireland,limerick city is such a drab place and the area strikes me more as a large town then a city,as you may guess im in ul and its fabulous and is definitely the best thing about limerick but the city itself is awful,i think the city council should try and be a bit more imaginative because there is no reason why limerick cannot have the same kind of reputation as galway does or at least the visual splendour if you will.

it basically boils down to this,why would you go to limerick apart from going to college there?
    did you ever visit tipp town, now thats bad

• Advertisement

Brerrabbit wrote:
    and the brainpower of porridge :(
    mmmmm porridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

(I'm reviving this thread because I can :>)
    DISCLAIMER: Dont kill me if I get something wrong here, and if I do it's purely accidental.

Limerick: (around) 130,000 people
    Galway: (around) 80,000 people.
    Sorted.

If limerick doesn't get a border expansion, then the place will have to start growing up rather than out (e.g high rise buildings), which has its benefits although I'm sure this'll affect rent..

I'm living in limerick, and I have to say this; some places are absolutely horrible. I HATE walking around William street and even O'connell street can be a drag (don't mind cruises street though), and in all fairness no tourist is gonna want to go to the hunt museum or the belltable. Why not an opera house or a theater or SOMETHING that will make this damned place better.

Though Limerick is larger than Galway, Galway is going to always be considered the "3rd" city of Ireland unless something is done about it =/

have nothing personal against it as it is my home but it seriously needs major improvements =/

Limerick; City of the Damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

LoganRice wrote: »
    (I'm reviving this thread because I can :>)

Ehhh... please don't. Its 5 years old.
    Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement