Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

videogamesplus.ca...some questions

Options
  • 14-03-2005 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

As mentioned in the wipeout thread, which has stirred my interest in them...

They're very well priced and have great postage rates. So waht's the catch? Is an order likely to get hit by VAT/duty on arriving here?
    How reliable are they? And is their DHL service better to avail of than the normal post?Any bad experieces?

Their price on the PSP is gonna be tough to match even if I do get caught for import charges, and I like the idea of dealing with a shop rather than some dodgy far east seller on eBay...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I've heard nothing but praise for VG+. Come very highly reccomended from some of my friends.

You might get caught by customs but you can ask them to mark down the package if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Ive preordered the value pack and wipeout along with a usb cable from videogamesplus and the total came to 280euro including postage which imo is pretty good, but ill probablly get hit by customs which would likely bring it up to 360euro (b*stards!), but im willing to pay because of insurance. btw if you order the psp from videogamesplus the only way they will ship it is through DHL which is around 50euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

280+50(DHL) = 330 + 80 customs = does not = 380 ?#
    how much are customs charging coming from vid..ca

i might get it if it is 360 SINCE , value pack everywhere else is 300+ and games 60 !

no its 280euro including DHL sorry i didnt make that clearer :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

I just ordered Metal gear solid and Untold legends from them for the PSP only 35 euro each ))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I last used videogamesplus.ca in January, excellent prices and my package arrived in as little as three days from Canada. Fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Everything is NTSC on that site yeah?

as far as i know, yes its all NTSC stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

All PSP systems will be tested for dead pixels prior to being shipped.

i dunno if thats good or bad !
    i think this site seems cheapeats, might get of them.
    have to order a gameaswell with preorder .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Placebo wrote:
    All PSP systems will be tested for dead pixels prior to being shipped.

i dunno if thats good or bad !
    i think this site seems cheapeats, might get of them.
    have to order a gameaswell with preorder .

I would say that's great, since it avoids the nightmare of pulling the unit out of it's box on arrival, switching it on and finding it has dead pixels and having to go to the trouble of RMAing it.

Thx for the replies so far; I still have qualms about buying a PSP from overseas in case it f**ks up; anyone familiar with how international warranties work? Or do they?
    Oh and one more thing; I've heard that NTSC games will not network with PAL games for multiplayer purposes...correct? If so that would throw a spannner in the works to some extent.

• Advertisement

There no way to confirming whether games from different regions work, but the speculation is that they will not.

For your warranty you would probably need to go through VG+ to get a replacment.

Ciaran500 wrote:

For your warranty you would probably need to go through VG+ to get a replacment.

Ah, but you see their site claims a 30 day warranty only...I see nothing about a manafcturers warranty (although obviously there has to be one).

It's probably the only positive aspect to buying inside the EU; we're more protetced than we are if we shop outside it.
    Dunno if I can be arsed to wait that long though :D

well if ya want ill keep ya informed on how videogamesplus deal with sending my
    order

hal9000 wrote:
    well if ya want ill keep ya informed on how videogamesplus deal with sending my
    order

I'd appreciate that but I'll prolly just give in to the temptation when I get paid at the w/e and buy it off them anyways :D
    When I come to think of it I've never had any sony products fail me in the past but something this small and complex and manafactured in such huge amounts in a relatively short time has to have an above average chance of failure...

Yeah ok, that's f**king typical of my sh*tty ass luck...seems they're either over subscribed or are no longer taking pre-orders for the value pack :mad:

Maybe their system is borked but I've searched it twice and nothing :mad: I hope this is just a glitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Ciaran500 wrote:
    There no way to confirming whether games from different regions work, but the speculation is that they will not.

US games so far work fine on JAP model.The region ecoding for games is not being enforced.Where did you get your information from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

They are sold out at Videogames plus. Have heard worrying rumours that there are going to be a lot less value packs in Canada as Sony are pushing a Wayne Gretzky PSP bundle instead. Could be in for a wait for the value packs if thats the case.

carbsy wrote:
    US games so far work fine on JAP model.The region ecoding for games is not being enforced.Where did you get your information from?

I was talking about mutiplayer. AFAIK there has been no tests done trying to play a JPN game against a USA game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I was talking about mutiplayer. AFAIK there has been no tests done trying to play a JPN game against a USA game.

there have. IGN tried hooking up 2 psps, one with a US copy of Lumines the other with a JPN copy of the game and the multiplayer would not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Ciaran500 wrote:

Oh sorry Ciaran.The code for a say a US game and JAP game is different so they shouldn't work for multiplayer as you stated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement