Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What program to make an image of my drive?

• 14-03-2005 11:14pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just after doing a fresh install there and doing all updates etc,
    Now what I am after is a program that will make an image of my current drive and burn it to a dvd(possibly bootable?) so if something goes wrong or too much **** on it and wana format back to the start and avoid doing all the drivers etc again.
    any suggestions?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Norton Ghost is one that springs to mind, but I don't like many of Nortons (Symantecs) products.

Why not try a slip-streamed XP CD customised to suit your needs?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Norton was one that came to my mind too, but I am thinking that there must be something else out there,
    I am going to have a snoop around nero think I may have seen something like this in it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Commercial: Norton Ghost

Freeware: HDClone or Ranish Partition Manager

Check out this guide: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=418&page=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

PowerQuest Drive Image too (commercial).

Recently mucked around with Knoppix live CD and found that it too had a couple of partition management/imaging utils.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Norton is the obvious choice, but thats cause it actually works quite well. I have a bootable DVD image of the PC's that we supply to customers with all our relevant software, so when a new pc gets ordered it a simple case of sticking the disc in and an hour later it ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

As above Drive Image from Powerquest (Now owned by Symantec) and Ghost are the obvious ones. Acronis True Image is a decent tool also.

BartPE http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/ is perhaps another way to go about things.

Another http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/

Magic ISO also http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-create-multi-os-cd.htm

Personally, I usually create a 2nd partition and Create an image of the system partition to it. Then I burn this image to CD.

osmethod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

delly wrote:
    Norton is the obvious choice, but thats cause it actually works quite well. I have a bootable DVD image of the PC's that we supply to customers with all our relevant software, so when a new pc gets ordered it a simple case of sticking the disc in and an hour later it ready to go.
    The main drawback with ghost is that unless you have a serious volume license you need a license for every PC that benefits from the software.

partimage (bootable linux CD's) is another handy util
    if both HDD's are the same model you can also use DD (linux)

for windows 2K / XP you can use NTBACKUP to restore a previous config over a clean install there is a microsoft doc on how to merge the HW sections of the reg if you are moving it to another PC. mentioning this because when the source HDD had bad sectors all the other utils I tried all gave up the ghost.

Advertisement