Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin McGuiness Tells McCartney Sisters "careful now"

Options
  • 14-03-2005 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Mcguinness Issues Warning to Murdered Man's Family By Alan Erwin, PA

Sinn Fein chief Martin McGuinness tonight warned the family of IRA murder victim Robert McCartney to back off.

With one of the sisters threatening an electoral challenge to the party, the Mid Ulster MP claimed the campaign to bring the killers to justice could be left open to political manipulation.

They could risk popular support, he told the family.

Clearly rattled by the intensity of the crisis engulfing Sinn Fein, Mr McGuinness said: “The McCartneys need to be very careful.

“To step over that line, which is a very important line, into the world of party political politics, can do a huge disservice to their campaign.

“In fact, it can dismay and disillusion an awful lot of people, tens of thousands of people who support them in their just demands.”

Mr McCartney’s five sisters and fiancee are travelling to Washington as part of their fight to get the killers into court.

Or translated - "Get Your Tanks Off My Lawn or Else!"

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

yep, i think SF are getting very scared now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

About time in my opinion.
    There campaign against SF is turning from one of justice(which they most certainly deserve) to one of vengence.
    SF has done everything (admittedly was forced kick and screaming) to appease to McCartney sisters and persuad those who were involved to come forward.
    If witnesses refuse to 'shop' people they have know all their lives or indeed may be related to or are afraid to because of threats from those involved then what are SF to do, as physical force is out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

"Careful now"......or something could happen to you. I hope they do try and take on SF and paste the ******* in the elections, one can hope.

edit: keep the language civil, it doesn't aid discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

AmenToThat wrote:
    There campaign against SF is turning from one of justice(which they most certainly deserve) to one of vengence.
    SF has done everything (admittedly was forced kick and screaming) to appease to McCartney sisters and persuad those who were involved to come forward.
    If witnesses refuse to 'shop' people they have know all their lives or indeed may be related to or are afraid to because of threats from those involved then what are SF to do, as physical force is out of the question.
    Well they have had no problem sorting out witnesses when it suits them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

The party are sure to be scared, no one can challenge Sinn Fein in their grassroots areas, but if it's going to happen it will be this family (given that they come from a pro-SF background but are now critical of it).

I'm not sure what McGuinness is trying to say here if it isn't "be careful what you do, you don't know who's watching". Is he trying to say that by running against Adams they might lose support?

As for this turning into a campaign of vengence, it is in a way, but only because SF are dragging their heels and stopping justice. I think the McCartneys have a right to be angry at them, and have a right to challenge them on it.

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

AmenToThat wrote:

Honestly I think McGuinness, Adams, and the IRA council are going to need surgery to get their feet out of their mouth.

SF have done FA. In the timespan post christmas, senior SF members have declined to declare a woman, Jean Mc Conville, a crime, because she was a tout.

Theres 30 years of IRA enforced silence, and the IRA and SF where pushed into this begruging level of co-operation. Meanwhile the family of the Mc Carthys are fighting SF and IRA intimidation on every level.

They endured a 5 hour meeting with the IRA where I sumbit the IRA "pressed " the family to go ahead with their shooting idea, which to me would have meant the family adhere to the IRA community policing policy of the last thirty years. The family rejected IRA vengance (and one can wonder how pressed the family where pushed towards the IRA's prefered course of action during the 5 hours)

The family have adhered a campaign of denial, grudging level of co-operation and finally threats of intimidation.

Hey, Mc Guinness newsflash. Stop implying a family shouldn't interver with politics. Politics is us, politics is the people, politics are what matters to us.

A politician doesn't tell us what matters, WE TELL THEM. They're our representives. They do what we ask.

I'm DAMN sick of Sinn Fein, pretending to be anti the Iraq war, but meeting with Bush, because "the peace process is more important. Voting for privatisation of Nth hospitials to secure the Good Friday agreement, despite it being a party pledge at election. .

I'm damn tired of SF pretending to put the peace process first, when they're happy to intimidate the families of a murdered man, and sell out the ideals cause they need to save the peace process.

But at the end of day, who are SF steamrolling over, to "save the peace process" and then, who are SF fighting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

SF and paste the ******* in the elections

Another great post by you that I had to report :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You know, they really should just say nothing at all if they aren't going to say something constructive..they're just making themselves look worried now! Another own goal it would seem...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

BuffyBot wrote:
    they're just making themselves look worried now!

They're already worried. They've just been locked out of official functions in the US by order of the White House, a prominent Irish-American politician has declined to meet them for an arranged meeting, Adams (their poster-boy for US funding campaigns) has been told not to even bother applying for a visa which would permit such campaigns, and what is regarded as the most supporting politician in the US towards SF has openly questioned the continued existance of the IRA in government session.

That's a lot of funding that's abotu to disappear.

On top of that, the McCartney sisters are getting a lot of press in the US. And a lot of people are very interested to hear what they have to say ......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

quick question if you will

I know they has some sort of PR system for elections for the northern Ireland assembly, but are they using the same system for westminster elections or are they using the First-past-the-post system like the rest of the UK?

If it is the latter any mccartney candidate taking votes from adadams could cost adams the seat, even if neither of them were to be elected.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote:
    You know, they really should just say nothing at all if they aren't going to say something constructive..they're just making themselves look worried now! Another own goal it would seem...

I dont agree.
    They are getting cruxified anyways so I think its time they came out fighting.
    This has been a one sided debate with allegation after allegation (admittidly lots of them with elements of truth) but many purely media or politically driven.
    SF has done about as much as it legally can (after continues prompting and pressure) in this case yet the political parties continue to demand more and the McCartheys continually demand justice, a justice that SF cannot legally deliver.
    The McCartheys themselves are now turning this into a political football and if thats the case then SF are entitled to respond in kind.

quick question if you will

I know they has some sort of PR system for elections for the northern Ireland assembly, but are they using the same system for westminster elections or are they using the First-past-the-post system like the rest of the UK?

If it is the latter any mccartney candidate taking votes from adadams could cost adams the seat, even if neither of them were to be elected.

Could well let one of those lovely DUP men in.
    If that were the case I think the McCartheys would loose alot of the good will among the community that is there now.
    Of course the DUP/UUP candidates in the area as well as the SDLP candidate in the area might step aside and encourage voters to vote for the McCarthey's which again I think will not sit well with many people in west Belfast where support for SF is still extremely strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I was thinking along the same lines. while it is plausible that the SDLP candidate might step aside in favour of a mccartney candidate, I could only see the DUP taking advantage of the split in the republican vote, and running against a SF and a McCartney candidate.

maybe Martin McGuiness is more scared of the constituence falling to the unionists than he is of Gerry Adams losing his seat, Although if Adams were to lose his seat, it would be a blow to the morale of Sinn Fein.

AmenToThat wrote:
    I dont agree.
    They are getting cruxified anyways so I think its time they came out fighting.
    This has been a one sided debate with allegation after allegation (admittidly lots of them with elements of truth) but many purely media or politically driven.
    SF has done about as much as it legally can (after continues prompting and pressure) in this case yet the political parties continue to demand more and the McCartheys continually demand justice, a justice that SF cannot legally deliver.

To be honest, SF have already tried to 'come out fighting' and only managed to shoot themselves in every single toe on both feet. They seem to have lost the plot completely. Every time Adams or McGuinness has said for people to step forth, the behaviour of their own party members smacks squarely between the eyes as a damning indictment of just how cynical a game they are playing. And getting caught out into the process. They then stop short of urging people to go to law enforcement agencies and then bring forth an offer by the IRA to have the people involved executed.

"Sure what do you need the police for? Wont we just shoot them for you?"

Not exactly fighting fit and sitting pretty is it?

To add to those woes, their biggest political fundraising cash-cow has finally decided to lose patience with them and they are effectively having the door slammed in their face across the atlantic. No money ... no fun.

Realistically, they can't come out fighting in any reasonable shape or form because they've not only been backed into a corner of their own design but they are being beaten with their own stick. And they know it. No matter which way they try to turn in an attempt to focus, another issue is going to knife them in the back. They are literally being encircled by their own chickens coming home to roost.

Lemming wrote:
    To be honest, SF have already tried to 'come out fighting' and only managed to shoot themselves in every single toe on both feet. They seem to have lost the plot completely. Every time Adams or McGuinness has said for people to step forth, the behaviour of their own party members.

SOME of their own party members in a small area of Belfast, hardly constitutes 'their own party'.
    Seems to me you are swallowing the media line hook line and sinker.
    Lemming wrote:
    smacks squarely between the eyes as a damning indictment of just how cynical a game they are playing.

Ill certainly agree that at the start SF tried to play the whole thing down which was wrong in itself but I now believe they are actually trying their best to resolve the issue uinlike just about every other party on this island which is cynically using this issue for their own ends and couldnt give a toss about the suffering of the McCarthey family.
    Lemming wrote:
    And getting caught out into the process. They then stop short of urging people to go to law enforcement agencies and then bring forth an offer by the IRA to have the people involved executed.

Now your simply resorting to telling lies.
    SF never offered to have the IRA execute anyone. The offer was made personally by the IRA in a meeting with the McCartney sisters.
    Lemming wrote:
    To add to those woes, their biggest political fundraising cash-cow has finally decided to lose patience with them and they are effectively having the door slammed in their face across the atlantic. No money ... no fun.

While its true that 'Washington' has deserted (short term) SF to say that their support base within north America has as well simply isnt true.
    Sure people are concerned, so am I!
    This is not a good situation.
    But thats a very different thing that deserting something you believe in. BTW just because officially they arent allowed raise funds hasnt stop SF before something I have no problem with and no problem saying on this forum no matter who posts in reply pretend shock and outrage for my condoning an illegal action.
    Lemming wrote:
    Realistically, they can't come out fighting in any reasonable shape or form because they've not only been backed into a corner of their own design but they are being beaten with their own stick. And they know it. No matter which way they try to turn in an attempt to focus, another issue is going to knife them in the back. They are literally being encircled by their own chickens coming home to roost.

SF have until now been reacting to situations and I believe thats their mistake.
    Its time to be proactive in my view.
    Long term the IRA have to go its as simple as that but short term I believe the first mistake the McCarthneys are going to make is by meeting that war criminal Bush and the photo opportunity and sound bite that will be offered at the press conference.
    This will I believe be an opportunity for SF to become proactive.

BTW before the boards.ie nuts all jump down my throat I want to see the killers brought to justice but I believe the McCarthneys are now playing a political game and making 'clouded' demands of the Republican movement that simply can not be met legally by SF.

flogen wrote:
    As for this turning into a campaign of vengence, it is in a way, but only because SF are dragging their heels and stopping justice. I think the McCartneys have a right to be angry at them, and have a right to challenge them on it.

flogen

Hey of it was one of mine that was murdered I wouldnt be waiting for the courts to resolve the issue Id be after the bastards with a gun myself and so I can completely understand why the McCartheys are doing this.
    I just think now they are starting to try to demonize the whole Republican movement whom untill their brother was murdered they supported wholeheartedly.
    Intimidation had been going on in that area for years, they knew all about it but still stood behind the ideals of the republican movement.
    The bar was a well known drinking hole for this particularly unsavoury unit of the IRA yet Robert McCartney had no problems drinking along side these men it would appear, unless he was unaware of their activities?
    Personally I doubt this is the case.

So while I personally agree with their need for justice against the animals who did this I have no sympathy with their attempts to demonize the whole of Republicanism in an attempt to bring the killers to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

"Careful now"......or something could happen to you. I hope they do try and take on SF and paste the bastards in the elections, one can hope.

He was referring to being politically manipulated. Anyone trying to spin it as a threat on thier person is a fricken idiot.

AmenToThat wrote:
    SOME of their own party members in a small area of Belfast, hardly constitutes 'their own party'.

Not really. If they're so disciplined a party/force/insert term of choice why is this going on? The problem is that 'the party' appears to be moving at complete odds to what Adams has been saying/asking of them.

I believe the term is "Say one thing, do another". Those few people are members of SF and indeed some are not only just members but actual political figures.
    Ill certainly agree that at the start SF tried to play the whole thing down which was wrong in itself but I now believe they are actually trying their best to resolve the issue uinlike just about every other party on this island which is cynically using this issue for their own ends and couldnt give a toss about the suffering of the McCarthey family.

Have you ever considered the fact that about every other party has quite simply had enough of SF/IRA being given exception to the rule of law and pandered to at every opportunity when they throw a trantrum for not getting their way and generally being indulged like a spoilt little brat? If they want to engage in politics then they have to be accountable like everyone else.

For me, the McCartney murder simply underscores the desperate need to break SF/IRA's back, so to speak, for the good of this island & it's population. Enough is enough. I would imagine a great deal many other people feel the same way, including politicians.
    Now your simply resorting to telling lies.
    SF never offered to have the IRA execute anyone. The offer was made personally by the IRA in a meeting with the McCartney sisters.

And who provided the front for the meeting? Who set it up and acted as facilitator? SF possibly? The political wing of the IRA? AKA SF

ANd in any case, if you read what I had written, I did not say that SF had the IRA offer to execute people. I said that SF presented the IRA's offer to execute people. There is a rather large difference between the two sentences.
    While its true that 'Washington' has deserted (short term) SF to say that their support base within north America has as well simply isnt true.

At political level it has. Also given that the US would appear to be heavily media-led and the fact that the McCartney family are being given heavy coverage that is going to have an adverse affect on SF/IRA's US support base. Maybe not today, but it will at least plant the seeds of doubt. From there it's all downhill.

And you are also overlooking one thing. With Bush running rapidly out of patience with them, all he has to do is have them put on the list of blacklisted organisations and it's goodbye USA for the rest of time.
    But thats a very different thing that deserting something you believe in.

Well that's just it. Most of the US support base would, if I might hazard a guess, have fairytale romantic notions of what the IRA is up to, rather than genuinely believe in "the cause". Having ones eyes opened can be quite detremental to fairytales.
    BTW just because officially they arent allowed raise funds hasnt stop SF before something I have no problem with and no problem saying on this forum no matter who posts in reply pretend shock and outrage for my condoning an illegal action.

And it's opinions like that which are your [SF/IRA] own worst enemy and precisely the reason why everyone is turning on them. And about time too. What do you think is going to happen if Bush declares SF/IRA a blacklisted organisation? US funding *is* going to halt. Fairly quickly too in fact.
    SF have until now been reacting to situations and I believe thats their mistake.
    Its time to be proactive in my view.

You'll be waiting a while. SF/IRA have *never* been pro-active. Everything they do is in response to someone else prodding them.
    Long term the IRA have to go its as simple as that but short term I believe the first mistake the McCarthneys are going to make is by meeting that war criminal Bush and the photo opportunity and sound bite that will be offered at the press conference.
    This will I believe be an opportunity for SF to become proactive.

To quote someone else recently:

Change media to "McGuinness". I think you are quite, quite mistaken in that regard. McGuiness basically implied a threat the family to shut up or else. Everyone else saw it. Why can't you?
    BTW before the boards.ie nuts all jump down my throat I want to see the killers brought to justice but I believe the McCarthneys are now playing a political game and making 'clouded' demands of the Republican movement that simply can not be met legally by SF.

Well, they can be legally met by SF. All SF have to say is "please report what you saw to the police" publically. How hard is that?

If you want to see the killers brought to justice then I suggest you canvass your local SF representatives to demand the party makes that public statement I mentioned above. Otherwise, it's the usual platitudes of "say one thing, do another". The SF/IRA status-quo if I'm not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Lemming wrote:
    For me, the McCartney murder simply underscores the desperate need to break SF/IRA's back, so to speak, for the good of this island & it's population. Enough is enough. I would imagine a great deal many other people feel the same way, including politicians.
    So you say, and maybe it's tru but it apparently hasn't affected SF electorally, as they gained in the latest By-Election.
    Lemming wrote:
    And who provided the front for the meeting? Who set it up and acted as facilitator? SF possibly? The political wing of the IRA? AKA SF.
    Possibly a member of the clergy, something they've traditionally done in NI. I suppose that would make the Catholic church in league with IRA right?
    By the way, do you have some sort of proof of your claim?
    Lemming wrote:
    And you are also overlooking one thing. With Bush running rapidly out of patience with them, all he has to do is have them put on the list of blacklisted organisations and it's goodbye USA for the rest of time.
    Well that's just it. Most of the US support base would, if I might hazard a guess, have fairytale romantic notions of what the IRA is up to, rather than genuinely believe in "the cause". Having ones eyes opened can be quite detremental to fairytales..
    And it's opinions like that which are your [SF/IRA] own worst enemy and precisely the reason why everyone is turning on them. And about time too. What do you think is going to happen if Bush declares SF/IRA a blacklisted organisation? US funding *is* going to halt. Fairly quickly too in fact.
    This is a storm in a tea cup compared to the Thatcher years when the IRA were labeled criminals and worst yet.... Marxist! And in league with Libya.
    If you think the heat is on now, you should have been around in the 80's mate. They banned SF from airwaves for what, 20+years yet it didn't erode their electoral mandate then, what can the powers-that-be possibly do today? Besides a Shoot-to-Kill policy i mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

mycroft wrote:
    Theres 30 years of IRA enforced silence, and the IRA and SF where pushed into this begruging level of co-operation.
    The paractice of 'honourable' silence is called omerta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Do enlighten us as you how you feel the other parties are using the McCartney murder for political gain.

jman0 wrote:
    Possibly a member of the clergy, something they've traditionally done in NI. I suppose that would make the Catholic church in league with IRA right?

No it wouldn't. The Clergy were used because they simply delivered messages. They did not spout propoganda and rhetoric for SF/IRA.
    By the way, do you have some sort of proof of your claim?

Do you have some sort of proof that SF aren't the political wing of the IRA? Do you have some sort of explaination as to why SF are so tightly associated with the IRA and why members seem to share affilation and speak from the same hymn sheet? No?
    This is a storm in a tea cup compared to the Thatcher years when the IRA were labeled criminals and worst yet.... Marxist! And in league with Libya.
    If you think the heat is on now, you should have been around in the 80's mate. They banned SF from airwaves for what, 20+years yet it didn't erode their electoral mandate then, what can the powers-that-be possibly do today? Besides a Shoot-to-Kill policy i mean.

Yes. But you are forgetting that Thatcher was reviled, even inside Britain, and that SF/IRA had the unwavering financial support of US citizenry & politicians. Neither of those above circumstances is applicable here. Thatcher is gone, and it is SF/IRA who are currently pissing everyone else off, not Thatcher. SF/IRA have not been banned from the airwaves and to be honest I see no reason not too since they are doing more damage to themselves than anyone could.b On top of this, that bastion of financial stability [the USA] for SF/IRA looks like it's about to shut the door too.

As for eroding their electoral mandate - they never had one back then (since they weren't allowed run anyway that's a moot point), and they still don't.

For those too stupid or thick to grasp it.... I'll insert the heavy sarcasm warning here:

SARCASM ALERT

I think a Shoot-to-kill policy might be appropriate too. It'll certain be ironic that SF/IRA are getting a dose of their own "community policing" measures ....
    *COUGH*

END SARCASM ALERT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Lemming wrote:
    On top of this, that bastion of financial stability [the USA] for SF/IRA looks like it's about to shut the door too.

they could always stick with doing bank jobs to raise money for 'politics' though

lomb wrote:
    they could always stick with doing bank jobs to raise money for 'politics' though

Nah ... you're forgetting all those drugs they "confiscated" from the pushers when they did their "drug dealers out" campaign ....

Ooops. Did I just say that?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Lemming wrote:
    No it wouldn't. The Clergy were used because they simply delivered messages. They did not spout propoganda and rhetoric for SF/IRA.

Do you have some sort of proof that SF aren't the political wing of the IRA? Do you have some sort of explaination as to why SF are so tightly associated with the IRA and why members seem to share affilation and speak from the same hymn sheet? No?

Yes. But you are forgetting that Thatcher was reviled, even inside Britain, and that SF/IRA had the unwavering financial support of US citizenry & politicians. Neither of those above circumstances is applicable here. Thatcher is gone, and it is SF/IRA who are currently pissing everyone else off, not Thatcher. SF/IRA have not been banned from the airwaves and to be honest I see no reason not too since they are doing more damage to themselves than anyone could.b On top of this, that bastion of financial stability [the USA] for SF/IRA looks like it's about to shut the door too.

As for eroding their electoral mandate - they never had one back then (since they weren't allowed run anyway that's a moot point), and they still don't.[\QUOTE]

WTF, SF are the largest nationalist party in NI.
    And in the 80's, what you never heard of Bobby Sands MP?
    Of course they could run for election, they are a legal political party. They just don't take their seats in Westminster.
    The fact that you don't even know this must mean you don't know squat about NI or SF.
    Thatcher was loved in the 80's, why else is she the longest running PM in Britain?
    Most things i've read are that the provos own legitimate businesses in RoI, Britiain and USA... their funds from america aren't coming from a fricking collection box passed around the pub. Have a look around, SF electorally aren't suffering from this current spate of SF-basing, like i said they've survived worse, even state sponsored murder.
    Get used to it, because they're still gaining electorally in RoI.
    Be afraid, very afraid.

ARRRGH my eyes!! learn to format man!!!!
    jman0 wrote:
    WTF, SF are the largest nationalist party in NI.
    And in the 80's, what you never heard of Bobby Sands MP?
    Of course they could run for election, they are a legal political party. They just don't take their seats in Westminster.

Ah yes. Had forgotten about that. Hand in the air for that.
    Thatcher was loved in the 80's, why else is she the longest running PM in Britain?

I can tell you that she was hated outside of upper-middle class circles. From the horses mouth.
    Most things i've read are that the provos own legitimate businesses in RoI, Britiain and USA... their funds from america aren't coming from a fricking collection box passed around the pub.

No. That'd be money laundering then. So not so legitimate after all ...... tell me what do you think the term "fund-raising campaign" means? Literally "pass the collection box" whether it's a pub peanut bowl or a cheque book.
    Have a look around, SF electorally aren't suffering from this current spate of SF-basing, like i said they've survived worse, even state sponsored murder.
    Get used to it, because they're still gaining electorally in RoI.
    Be afraid, very afraid.

That remains to be seen. After the McCartney murder & the ensuing fallout I believe that they've lost (and continue to lose) a significant amount of credibility and people are less willing to listen to them. Politically that's quite quite evident with the amount of bashing they are getting from all sides in government.

Now, if I were you (and thankfully I'm not a SF/IRA apologist), I would be more concerned about their own community in the North is beginning to turn. Discontent becomes dissent becomes open defiance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Can any SF person here tell me what this is supposed to be about?
    link

McGuinness is annoyed because the PSNI haven't arrested someone for the murder and they are stage managing the whole epiosode to make SF look bad?
    What? What is he on?

If the police arrest and the wrong person, SF'll be up on their hind legs shouting about police intimidation and corruption and all manner of the ususal carry on in the blink of an eye. And let's face it, Sinn Fein will know if the people charged are the wrong person because they know who the murderers are.
    The PSNI are damned if they do and damned if they dont, it seems to me. Has the Sinn Fein PR department all gone out on strike or what?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

reading Hydroquinone's link I see the following
    "Meanwhile, Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness has accused the PSNI of tailoring its investigation into the murder to cause maximum damage to Sinn Féin."
    Now SF don't need the police to cause maximum damage - they are doing fine by themselves:-
    * 7 members of SF were involved allegedly in the murder of Robert McCartney.
    * 2 other members were in the pub, apparently(!) managed to see nothing but still failed to let the authorities know for some weeks
    * 2 SF members are caught in Cork with a sum of money believed to be from the Northern Bank job.
    * 2 SF members were arrested in Manorhamilton after intimidating members of the public
    * 2 SF members proclaim on national tv that the murder of an innocent woman during the troubles was not a crime
    Now someone tell me that SF are a legitimate party who have the best interests of the public and are not involved in crime! Assuming we can believe the SF spin that all criminal elements will be expelled from the party, there will be nobody left before the month is out!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oh also - further to these recent events there is also the fact that 5 men who were members of the provisional IRA were found with election posters of Aengus O' Snodaigh & a SF anti-bin charges poster (along with guns and other IRA necessities).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

It's good to see that the brave McCartney sisters will not be intimidated by Martin McGuiness's veiled threats. I think we'd all agree that they can only be applauded for this real campaign for truth and justice. I mean how many others would stand up to tyranny of Sinn Féin and the IRA in the areas they have gained a stranglehold over?

I'm starting to sense that the families commendable stand is beginning to spur a quiet revolution in people's attitude to the community oppressors. Apparently, the families of other victims of IRA human right's abuses are following the families lead. One in particular is the mother of Mark Robinson, a young Catholic murdered by the 'freedom fighters', who claims the Republican Movement latter intimidated the family into silence.

In light of all this, maybe that champion of rights for Irish women, Aengus O'Snodaigh, will censure his colleagues for robbing so many Irish women of their children. Or are women only oppressed when the 'RA isn't involved?

Anyway, here's what the McCartney's have to say:

From UTV TUESDAY 15/03/2005 09:00:02

McCartney family dismiss Sinn Fein warning

The family of murdered Belfast man Robert McCartney today dismissed Sinn Fein warnings that they are in danger of being exploited for political purposes.

Catherine McCartney, who flew out from Dublin airport with her four sisters and her brother`s partner for a St Patrick`s Day meeting with President George Bush, said they were not stupid.

She said: "We have to be very careful that we`re not being used by anybody and that includes Sinn Fein and all political parties, we`re not stupid women.

"We get the impression that someone thinks out there that somebody`s behind this, pulling our strings. The only person behind this is our Robert and he is the person pulling our strings."

Ms McCartney said her family were capable of standing up and speaking for themselves.

They are flying to Washington today at the invitation of President Bush, who heard of the family`s campaign to seek out those responsible for their brother`s death outside Magennis`s Bar in Belfast city centre in January.

Ms McCartney said the family would also be meeting Senator Ted Kennedy, Senator Hillary Clinton and a number of other congressional representatives.

"What we hope to achieve is just to tell President Bush the story of what happened to Robert that night, to tell there has been very little development in terms of arrests and charges and also to let them know of the recent allegation that (Sinn Fein) party members were in the bar that night but didn`t feel it necessary to go to the police or the ombudsman," she said.

She added it was time for Sinn Fein to end the nonsense of urging people to give notes to solicitors, which were worthless in court.

Mr McGuinness insisted that his comments should not be seen as a threat to the McCartneys.

He told BBC Radio 4`s Today programme: "It wasn`t intended in any way to be a threat.

"It was intended to be a word of friendly advice from someone who is 100% behind their campaign for truth and justice.

"What I am flagging up here is the fact that on the streets some people are making comments to me - and I think it is a growing feeling - that the McCartneys shouldn`t allow their campaign, which is for truth and justice, to be undermined by elements around them who are party political and who have got an agenda in relation to Sinn Fein."

Mr McGuinness said that someone who had presented himself in radio interviews as an adviser to the McCartneys was "a person who has been opposed to the Good Friday Agreement and hostile to Sinn Fein`s very participation in the peace process from the very beginning".

The McCartney family said they felt very let down by the failure of two Sinn Fein candidates who were in the bar on the night of their brother`s murder to go to the police.

Catherine McCartney said: "We felt these people should have had a sense of moral duty and come forward. That could have been a big sign to people in the community that it`s OK to go to the police and help the family in any way."

There have been widespread reports that many of the 80 witnesses on the night were threatened that they should not co-operate with the police.

The family plan to use their US visit to increase the pressure on Sinn Fein to co-operate by lobbying US politicians, many of whom have been heavily involved in the peace process.

They have not ruled out the policy of running as independent candidates in the British general election in May to further their campaign.

"Our aim is justice for Robert. We certainly will campaign around election time if these murderers are not in court," said Ms McCartney.

The McCartney family are due to return from the US on Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement