Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Progressive scan CRT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fcukme

I know only of three makes of tv's that support progressive scan through component input.

There is the panasonic pd30 and pd50. The pd50 is just the new model, all they changed is the frame of the tv from grey and silver to black with small silver dots. These sets come in 32'' and 36'' sets. I know the pd30 36'' is available in did in blanch as I bought one last summer. The price is approx €2,200.

The picture quality is excellent. It accepts up to 720p. I got excellent results by hooking up sky+ to my sony dvd recorder which upscales the rgb input to progressive component out, I also have the pioneer 575 dvd player (more affordable version of yours) and an xbox modded to output ntsc 720p all hooked up to my denon a/v reciever and from this to the pd30. The picture quality really sharp and great colour. I've seen all the very £££'s lcd and plasma when I was making the orginal purchase and the crt pic is just better with regular tv and just as good with dvd's.

The next option is the toshiba 36'' with the picture frame 2 tube. I don't own one so I don't know as much about it but the picture for sky over rgb looks more natural than the pd30, this comes at the cost of not as good dvd picture. However upscale your rgb from sky to component and this easily looks better then straight rgb connection. I know the toshiba 36'' is available from Powercity for €1,799 (just checked their website).

The last option is the JVC HD40 which is getting great reviews from a lot of people. I don't know a lot about this tv but it can accept up to 1080i through component inputs.

Good luck with the decision. Did you look at the lcd and plasma sets? They are getting better and I like the 32" sony MR1. I don't think they are at the races yet with pic quality and there's a lot of problems with them not having future proof connection such as dvi. The one bad thing about the crt is the size. 36'' sets are huge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Is it possible to have progressive scan through scart or s-video?

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fcukme

Afraid not, rgb is the best you can go over scart.

Advertisement