Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding a PAL N64 for import games

Options
  • 15-03-2005 12:01am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've found numerous methods for modding a US N64 to play Japanese games but is it the same method for modding a PAL console to accept Japanese and US games?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Just get an emulator, its easier...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

you dont mod em there are cartridge things that slot into the n64 and the you slot you foreign game into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

evad_lhorg wrote:
    you dont mod em there are cartridge things that slot into the n64 and the you slot you foreign game into it.

I doubt that would give optimal output - it's kind of like forcing a square peg to fit into a round hole.

I'd say just get a proper NTSC N64 off ebay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For NTSC consoles the cartridge slot is just cut away. The only difference is the shape of the carts. WAs wondering if it was the same deal with The PAL system.

I bought an N64 because the emulators aren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

PAL games are not interchangable on US and Japanese machines using the modding technique, so I don't know if this works visa versa. I'm reading a magazine on the subject and there is no mention of this technique working for PAL machines. I think Nintendo upped the security by the time the N64 reached PAL territory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

Yes, the PAL N64 has a special region lockout that prevents the use of NTSC cartridges. Both the Japanese and US N64s are cross-compatible! The PAL N64 is therefore a limited machine, unless you can get a good import adaptor.

If you buy an NTSC console without anything else (power supply, TV cable, controllers), all your PAL stuff, including the PAL power supply, will work on it. But you need NTSC games, of course.

Bonus information: The NTSC N64 can also be modified to give RGB SCART, whereas the PAL N64 will never do RGB.

Stop press: I have an NTSC unit without extras. Do you want to make me an offer for it? If you like, I can have a go at modifying it for RGB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Depends on the price really. How much are you offering. If you have an expansion pak for sale i'll take it as well. PM me. Don't want to turn this into a for sales forum thread :)

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I bought an N64 because the emulators aren't great.

i remember the n64 emus to be great, even got mario kart going online

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The problem is with system timings which, in the case of most consoles, are based on the NTSC/PAL/SECAM frequency.

As has been suggested above, either emulation or buying a suitable region console is your best option.

Advertisement