Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap hardware vpn (WAN->LAN) router ?

Options
  • 15-03-2005 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

id like to be able to vpn into my home network from work. Id prefer not to have a pc solution, rather a 'hardware box' that does it all. Most of the adsl routers ive seen say they have vpn support but its only for LAN->WAN direction.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I'm not sure I understand your setup....are you connected to your house from work via a WAN or something?

If you're using the internet, no hardware is required at all...just connect into your vpn server running at home via the net.

If you explain the problem a bit more then maybe I could try and help?

If you want a box that will run a vpn server on it and connect it to a WAN and a LAN you could try a WRAP board solution from www.pcengines.ch and then put StarOS onto it...but as I've said already I simply don't understand the problem at hand :)

Fobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

hi fobia,

up to now ive been using winxp terminal services (remote desktop). I simply forward port 3389 on my dsl router to my main home pc running winxp pro. This works great. But id prefer to be actually 'on' the home network, if you know what i mean.
    I tried running the Microsoft vpn server that comes with winxp, but my router doesnt seem to forward the packets properly. What i need is a combined dsl/vpn server. So i can vpn into my home network via dsl from any location. Im not so keen on the linux/pc approach as the equipment will be running unattended in my parents house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

A beautiful little box...

http://www.systemhouse.ie/zyxel/prestige334.htm

osmethod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Synkro,

What you want is not cheap. The VPN is aimed at businesses, not individuals.
    Anyway, have a look at this product. It works over any IP network, but you will need two boxes, one at home, and one at your office.

Here's a cheaper product.

Cheers,
    JP

Advertisement