Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox live vs. playstation live?

Options
  • 15-03-2005 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

after i 'finish' resident evil 4 in a couple of weeks i'm going to finally trade in my much loved gamecube and splash out on either an xbox or ps2.

for a while now i've been arguing with myself as to which console is better.
    the xbox has it's advantages with the joys of modding and playing backed up games/movies etc.
    but after weighing them both up, i think i'm going to go with the ps2, mainly because of their exclusive games (like the reason i got my nintendo).

now, i can add 'xbox live' or 'playstation live' to my existing broadband package for a measly 2pound a month so i may aswell take advantage of it huh..

the xbox live system seems to work well going by what i've heard. it has a massive user base and seems pretty successful.
    but what about playstation online? i rarely hear anything about it but yet it's there, and seems like an excellent service.
    are there many irish people that use it? is it widely supported?
    or should the online support even be a consideration when deciding between the 2 consoles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ps2 net play is okay, but its not a patch on X-box Live tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

They are both good. xbox live is generally better but there isn't a subscription with the ps2 it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

ive both, prefer xbox due to better graphics and smoother gameplay.

ps2 is there for GTA and GT3/4.

i use xbox live, it works really well. never bothered to hook up the playstation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Xbox live really seems to beat the pants off of the PS2 version.

re your cube, maybe you should hang onto it, seeing as the 2nd hand cube retails at €50 in gamestop you probably won't get all that much for it on trade in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

well for me it boils down to which console is better, and for me, without a shadow of a doubt, the Xbox wins, its graphics beat the pants off the PS2 and the consoles have a different idea about games, PS2 go by having more titles out there, but Xbox gofor having not as many games, but better quality, so I say Xbox

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Xbox won me over. Live is just fantastic, so easy to pick up and get involved. The GUI for the live section is so easy to use and within literally seconds you and your 3 online friends can be on a team waiting for competitors for a team game or whatever. Very intuitive.
    As marts said, i picked xbox because of better technology and yes fewer games but I own about 34 of what i consider to be great games for it already - so fewer games maybe, but no shortage of great games. My advice would be hang on to your cube til november and purchase the xbox2 (xenon - or whatever you wanna call it)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can count on 1 hand the number of games that have actually interested me on the xbox. I'm not mad about online gaming but can tell you that the xbox live service is far better than the one offered on the PS2. I prefer my PS2 but then I've a different taste in games from most people, I prefer weird japanese games to the dull unoriginal stuff from America. I wouldn't sell that cube just yet. Zelda is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

[nicK] wrote:
    the xbox has it's advantages with the joys of modding and playing backed up games/movies etc.
    If you've modded your xobx, and you go online, remember to turn off the chhip, and ensure that the original hard-drive is in it, as a number of people got their xbox's banned from xbox live, due to this, when xbox live first came out.
    Search the forums if you don't believe me. Couldn't be arsed trying to dig it up.

I think if you mod it before connecting to live for the first time you are ok. It takes a record of the hard drive then and there and then notices any changes from then. But the point about the mod being turned off is a good one. But no one capable of modding an xbox is silly enough to use it online are they??? Ahem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

a friend has the PS2 net play and xbox live, he always goes for xbox live, and so do i ,its great :D
    ps2 seems to slow and freeze alot on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

PS2 Online is great - it's free and there are less annoying kids on it.

What really annoys me about Xbox Live is fees.

Screw fees.

PS2 Online is great - it's free and there are less annoying kids on it.

What really annoys me about Xbox Live is fees.

Screw fees.

"you get what you pay for..."

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

I play both and while the xbox service is better, it's really down to the games themselves whether they are good or not.
    My favourite online game on a console is socom 2

Project Gotham 2 is prob my fav, or Rainbox Six 3...both on xbox live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

what games can u play with ps2 netplay? and how does it work ? plug it via ethernet into my router ?

heggie wrote:
    what games can u play with ps2 netplay? and how does it work ? plug it via ethernet into my router ?

yeah, if u have an original PS2 you'll need to buy the network adapter (possible reason why its not as popular as xbox live?), they come standard on the slimline afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i find ps2 much more enjoyable then xbox live.

playstation's central station caters to my needs in the exact same way xbox live does, except central station is free. the idea that "you get what you pay for" is rubbish.

as someone already said before, central station is less populated with l33t kidzzzz!!!!11one... and tends to be friendlier (imo)

(and yes, i have owned/used both xbox live and ps2 central station)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My favourite online game on a console is socom 2

Pffft.

Scrotum: US Navy Seals more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

Jammer wrote:
    yeah, if u have an original PS2 you'll need to buy the network adapter (possible reason why its not as popular as xbox live?), they come standard on the slimline afaik

excellent, i was sure i would have to fork out for an adapter.

Game are doing an offer for the ps2 slimline with gt4 and mgs3 for £140. so thats about 200euro so i'll probably take that. all i need after that is gta:sa :)
    re your cube, maybe you should hang onto it, seeing as the 2nd hand cube retails at €50 in gamestop you probably won't get all that much for it on trade in

yeah, i'll probably stick it up on the 'for sale' forum here instead. all of my games are essential gamecube titles so it should get a good response.
    i find ps2 much more enjoyable then xbox live.
    (and yes, i have owned/used both xbox live and ps2 central station)

excellent. i think that's sealed it. i'll have to look more closely at how the ps2 works online but from the responses here, it seems the same as xbox live, with a different games and different gui.

so what kind of games are most popular on the ps2, online?
    i can think of gran turismo 4 and pes 4. what others should be fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

You can't play Gran Turismo 4 or PES 4 online with the PS2, I'm afraid :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I have a PS2 and I don't have one complaint. I'm not an online person, and I've never played my PS2 online (and I don't plan to) but I have played the Xbox live and Halo 2 on that thing was excellent. But the PS2 has more and better games. Can we say Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater ( I still can't get over that game).

the only ps2 games i play are GTA:SA and GT4, and all i'll say is i wish microsoft got to the developers before sony. While GT4 has a great physics engine, and graphics are OK, it would be alot smoother on the xbox (anti-aliasing anyone?). Have a look at the graphics on PGR2 on xbox, and then GT4.

I had a few mates round recently, and they brought PES4 for the playstation around. I had it on the xbox. The difference, is shocking. It stutters, and is just generaly not as nice looking as the xbox version. Not to mention xBox has PES4 Live :)

I'm NOT a microsoft fan boy, its just my opinion on the performance of the two systems. Xbox has better performance (graphics and smoothness), while PS2 has GT4 and GTA.

In terms of technology - everyone is raving about how well GT4 looks and yet PGR2 looks as good on the tracks, and the rally section of GT4 looks exactly the same as Rallisport challenge 2.
    And the point ps2 has more and better games. The better games is a fair opinion. but more games? who cares if it has more? Quality not Quantity.

In terms of technology - everyone is raving about how well GT4 looks and yet PGR2 looks as good on the tracks, and the rally section of GT4 looks exactly the same as Rallisport challenge 2.
    And the point ps2 has more and better games. The better games is a fair opinion. but more games? who cares if it has more? Quality not Quantity.
    You said it yourself MORE & BETTER. Would you have say for instance 50 games and only half of them be good or have 100 games and over 75 are good? Only smart people would know to go for the PS2. I'm not the smartest person in the world but I know my technoligy, and if someone out there is looking to play constantly online I would recommend the Xbox, but that's the only thing the Xbox can out do the PS2 in.
    Besides I'd just save my money and wait till next year and get a PS3, Xbox2, or GC2. Then it's a whole different console war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

XB live is better hands down but u have to pay a yearly Subs. Ps online is weaker but completey free to use. Socom2 is good with the headset (Socom3 is coming) and is as good a team shooter as Counterstrike (imo) NFSUG2 is good online aswell

PS2 has more and Better games for the system plus it has GT4! :)

Illuvatar wrote:
    I'm not the smartest person in the world but I know my technoligy, and if someone out there is looking to play constantly online I would recommend the Xbox, but that's the only thing the Xbox can out do the PS2 in.

You are having a giraffe!

Original PS2 vs XBox, doesnt match what you said

Xbox had the hard drive, the four controller ports, the better graphics, the better sound, the 'out of the box' online play and better controller (IMO, analogue sticks are better and the sensitive shoulder buttons help in racing games!)!!

The only thing the PS2 had/has going for it is Gran Turismo! And its a shame that game is on PS2 cos it would look so much better on xbox!

Thats just my opinion, i'm not into the Jap games and all that, i'm mostly a sports sim man, with the odd adventure game. 80% of the games you can get on PS2, you can get on Xbox (xbox version having better graphics, of course).

PS2 online isn't completely free, you have to buy the network adapter? I dunno how much they are though. A 14 month subscription to xbox live AND the headset is only €75. Great value, imho

You obviously haven't played a PS2 before Jammer. And if you have you need glasses. You under-estimate the PS2. Sound is in the TV you have. You have a bigger TV the better the sound is. I think you need to read a electronics book some time. And graphics wise, I've played Halo 2 and smooth walls I bet aren't that hard to create compared to some of the stuff the PS2 has. When you have seen MGS3 then we should talk. Ask any PS2 gamer out there about it. I don't care for the GTA stuff so I can't testify for it. I have a friend next door who has a Xbox and I've played it so I've seen both worlds.
    And if I'm having a giraffe, you're having a cow about Gran Tarismo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Comparing a game set in a jungle to a game set in the bland alien enviroment :rolleyes:

You judge sound through your TV? I'm talking about REAL sound output..

XBox outputs Dolby Digital, the PS2 outputs DTS...

I have a PS2 and Xbox sitting under the TV mate, as i said above. I have a PS2 so i can play GTA and Gran Turismo, they are great games.

You can't deny the Xbox is graphically better. Look at the specs..

http://www.gamersmark.com/editorials/view/49/

I'll pick out some examples...

GFX CPU - Xbox 300mhz, Sony 150mhz
    Memory Bandwidth - 6.4GB/s, Sony 3.2GB/s
    Pixel Fill Rate Texture - Xbox 4.8G/sec Anti-Aliased, Sony 1.2G/sec

Cant be bothered typing them out. Bottom line is you can't deny the xbox has more graphical power then the PS2. If the games on the PS2 are the ones you like, then yeah, it is a very decent console. Like previously said i only like a handful of games on it, so i prefer the xbox because of its ability to make Pro Evo look nice :)

• Advertisement

Whether it's a first or not I don't know but I've seen it many times playing MGS 3 and there's a screen that pops up saying DOLBY DIGITAL. huh interesting. All I have to say to end this is: I have my opinion, you have yours. And leave it at that.

Advertisement