Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shut down problem- help needed

Options
  • 15-03-2005 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 46,005 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve just come from a friends house and he is having seriously slow shutting down problems with his PC.
    When he clicks on the “turn off computer” tab it takes about 2 minutes for the little box to appear (ie. Stand By, Turn Off, Restart) When he then clicks “Turn Off” it will take about another 3 - 4 minutes for the computer to shut down.

Neither of us are too familiar with computers but any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

The PC is a Fijutsu (something like that) and the O.S. is Windows XP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Theres probably a program/s running in the background(possibly spyware) tell your friend to run Spybot and AD-Aware.
    What anti virus software is on the pc and has he installed any new programs around the time this started happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,005 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for the reply kinkstr. I do know that he had problems since he bought the PC about 20 months ago. he did a complete clearout of the PC a few months back after talking to the tech support people. This basically left him with the Pc in "factory mode"

He did get the Norton anti virus installed a few weeks back and possibly this could be the problem. I have heard a few people saying that it does make the PC's run a bit slower.
    Apart fro the norton av I dont think there is any anti spware installed but I will email him the links provided.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

No problem, as for Norton Anti-virus i stopped using that a few years ago but i dont know if thats what the problem is, it will be interesting to see what spybot and ad-aware will show up, if your friend is planning on getting rid of norton tell him to try AVG Anti-Virus which is free or NOD Anti-Virus which is around €30 in the shops but is very good and worth the money in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

OK could be a couple of things,

1. If you have Roxio Easy CD Creator installed Download and apply the following patch

2. Wake on LAN setting: Go to Start - Control Panel - System - Hardware (Tab) - Device Manager - Locate your network card - (Right click) select properties - Power Management (Tab) --> Make sure the "Allow This Device To Bring The Computer Out Of Standby" option is deselected.

3. Disable Terminal Services. You can access the services console by entering the SERVICES.MSC command at the Run prompt.

4. Enter GPEDIT.MSC command at the Run prompt to load the Group Policy Editor. Go to Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local Policies - Security Options. locate the Shutdown: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile option in the column to the right and make sure its disabled, If its enabled, you can disable it by double clicking on the setting and choosing the Disabled option.

Hope this solves your issue.

JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

muffler wrote:

He did get the Norton anti virus installed a few weeks back and possibly this could be the problem. I have heard a few people saying that it does make the PC's run a bit slower.
    Apart fro the norton av I dont think there is any anti spware installed but I will email him the links provided.
    Thanks again

Yup norton anti virus can definitly cause this , uninstall it and see if your still having the same problem (obviously do this with you net connection unplugged)

• Advertisement
Advertisement