Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss call for UN Human Rights reform.

Options
  • 15-03-2005 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised it didn't get more coverage, but anyway...

Interesting article....Swiss calling for Human Rights reform within the EU.

As usual, Ms. Calmy-Rey doesn't pull her punches. While Switzerland was always reticent about joining the UN (with the implications that has had for their neutrality), the Human Rights side of things is what (I believe) swung the issue, so its not surprising to see her stand up and make a statement like this.

It could prove interesting. While I wouldn't hold out too much hope on anything major being done, there's at least a chance that the issue will be considered rather than this turning into yet another "point fingers at the proposer's own human rights failings and call them a hypocrite" waste of time.

Worth a read. If anyone hears more on this, I'd appreciate linkage. Ta.

jc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Swiss calling for Human Rights reform within the EU.

Typo? Do you mean the UN? I didnt see anything about the EU in the article.

Regarding the article, Im not sure whether the UN needs more human rights experts and councils. Weve got a pretty good handle on what the basic human rights are, we need to start getting them enforced and protected. I.E. instead of talking shops in Geneva we need boots on the ground in places like Darfur which has sadly degenerated into another Rwanda, in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Doh. Typo is right. It should indeed be UN, not EU.

Oops.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Roisin Dubh

bonkey wrote:
    I'm surprised it didn't get more coverage, but anyway...

Interesting article....Swiss calling for Human Rights reform within the EU.

As usual, Ms. Calmy-Rey doesn't pull her punches. While Switzerland was always reticent about joining the UN (with the implications that has had for their neutrality), the Human Rights side of things is what (I believe) swung the issue, so its not surprising to see her stand up and make a statement like this.

It could prove interesting. While I wouldn't hold out too much hope on anything major being done, there's at least a chance that the issue will be considered rather than this turning into yet another "point fingers at the proposer's own human rights failings and call them a hypocrite" waste of time.

Worth a read. If anyone hears more on this, I'd appreciate linkage. Ta.

jc

Having read the link, her ideas are welcome but sadly, the big powers will stop this seeing the light of day, for their own obvious reasons e.g. US - Guantanamo and the flying of terrorist suspects out of the US and to countries with terrible human-rights records including Libya, China - because of tortire, repression of pro-democracy activists and independence supporters in Tibet, cultural repression in Tibet and Xinjiang, Russia - Chechnya suppression of free media etc. Oh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Chechnya suppression of free media etc. Oh well!

seriously arcade, slips like that, and you're not fooling anyone.

Advertisement