Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL have doubled their caps???

• 15-03-2005 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

My usage calculator for IOL was stuck for a while (like alot of peoples), but now its seems to be fine, but they have added a little extra info...

"at your current rate of usuage you are likely to go over you limit in 14 days"

Now I'm currently at 7.97Gig on whats supposed to be an 8Gig cap..

So I held off for a day, and it changed to "at your current rate of usuage you are likely to go over you limit in 15 days"

To me this looks as if they have doubled my cap to 16Gig and at my current usage I would reach 16Gig in 15 days..

Im just curious, what with all the talk of upgrades and caps changing

Any1 notice anything similar?????

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

No change on mine unless they're leaving the IOLBB Plus at 16 - which would be stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It would be very stupid if they were to upgrade all IOLBB+ people to a 2mb line.

/me cant wait ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Im on IOLBB+ and am looking forward to 2mb WOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOO, but they should at least upgrade the cap to 32gb or 40, like the faster the speed the faster you will use up your cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

I dont have now and never have had in the last 3 weeks, since I started the trial any line saying..."you have 20 days before you exceed the cap..."??

It has always said you ve download XX since you first turned on and thats it.

It is the Plus service though...mabye they just dont bother trying the enforce and cap with the 16GB version??

Any Views???

Would some one who has such a line written in their DSL summary please upload a pic of it...(with personal info of course smudged).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Im with iol and have BB+ wher can i find out the info you guys are talking about(how much ive downloaded etc)??????????????????

• Advertisement

The link I use is:
    http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dslhistory

Enter yout Username and Pass that you entered when you setup the modem.

Also could you post a pic like I did with private info blacked out so I can see if I'm alone without having any "you have XX days left beore you exceed your cap..etc"
    To do this just add atachments under the text input screen.

Later.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ThaMasta

Im on the standard IOL package not IOL+...

My cap is supposedly 8Gig...I only noticed this after the usage meter had been stuck for about a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ISPs with download caps... hahahahahahahaahhaah.
    Use a real ISP ffs.

ThaMasta wrote:
    Im on the standard IOL package not IOL+...

My cap is supposedly 8Gig...I only noticed this after the usage meter had been stuck for about a week.

So you now have a 16GB cap in the normal IOL package???

Damn thats good..........I'll give 2mbit with hopefully a 32GB CAP(please....please....please....please....please....please....) a go and then make up my mind on it....

More poeple add your screens or another link to check download statistics please.

Thanks............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ThaMasta

I dont for sure know if the cap has doubled...it looks like it has, cannot be sure..It took 13 days to download 7.9gig...you would think it would of said "at your current rate u will exceed your limit in 1 day"...but it said 14 days...leading me to think that the cap is now 16Gig

....dont want to go over the 8Gig (currently at 7.97Gig) as IOL scaulded me a couple of months ago for going 3 Gig over..(bout 90 yoyos)

Anybody got any ideas???...anybody else's usage meter change like mine????

• Advertisement

They charged you for exceeding the cap............sh!t!!!!!!!!

Could more people post their dsl statictic page pics please.

BTW ThaMasta is the cap for downloads/uploads 8GB each for you or 8GB added together???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Achilles wrote:
    Use a real ISP ffs.

Indeed :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

and what would you recommend as a real isp? One thats only available to certain? Like breeze? One that costs twice as much as? One that has the worst pings ever like ripwave?

Personally I use iolbb since i download whatever i need in college and use pc at home for just regular stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erm, no not Irish Broadband, as yes their latency is ****e. I personally use NTL. They have a ficticious cap... mentioned only on their website... and it's never, and i mean never enforced, so technically i don't really have a cap.

*rubs his 1.5Mbps connection*

Ohh and contention is good with NTL, I've never had any trouble with connection slowing down etc and my average download speed is 190kbps. Latency is good too.

Just... don't try dealing with their tech support... grr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Achilles wrote:
    Use a real ISP ffs.
    NTL is also available "only in certain areas" Most of us have no choice in that we have to go for a Bitstream product.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

NTL is also available "only in certain areas"
    Exactly my point. You can only use whats made available to ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I notice no difference in my usage meter...i'm currently on 15.97gig and it doesn't say anything above it, nothing unusual at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I notice no difference in my usage meter...i'm currently on 15.97gig and it doesn't say anything above it, nothing unusual at all
    ? That is unusual! If you really are at ~16GB it should be telling you that "you will break your cap in 1 day" sort of thing....Mine still seems to 16GB though so I dont seem to have this double cap at all :( I'm sure they will increase the cap, I hope :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

? That is unusual! If you really are at ~16GB it should be telling you that "you will break your cap in 1 day" sort of thing....Mine still seems to 16GB though so I dont seem to have this double cap at all :( I'm sure they will increase the cap, I hope :rolleyes:

It always tends to do that....not sure why, maybe because i'm 30 mb away from 16gig, it told me the other day i was about to break my cap in so many days... if the caps are going to be increased anyway we won't see until april 4th most likely (kinda stating the obvious there i know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

god, download caps really are a nuisance. Im living in Arizona for a few months and the lady at the broadband desk didnt even know what a download limit/cap was! She had to ask her supervisor. He told me that there was no cap. Ive downloaded 160gig this month. (5.5 mbit)

• Advertisement

What the hell are you downloading FuzzyLogic????

10Gbytes a day????

Even using a colege connection which was much faster than yours a couple of years ago...I was never able to download more than a couple of GB a day!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

I have "Offpeak Traffic" & "Peak Traffic" listed on my meter, is this correct?
    I though when its an always on connection that they wouldn't differenciate between the two????
    :confused:

I have the same setup jayneemac.

In Australia some of their ISP's give you X hours on peak(08:00-00:00) and Y hours offpeak(00:00-08:00).

This is so that you spread out your downloading over the day and dont grind their network to a halt.

In my opinion EsatBT probable had the same ideas originally...but as our caps are so low anyway they decided not to implement it and just left the statistics as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

thnx for the info diarmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mine has always had the warning on it:

usage.jpg

been ignoring the cap for the last couple of months anyway since i found out how unlikely it is for them to charge me (at least on the plus package) for going over.

only made it to 25gb so far though, so nothing too major.

as for the 'time left' info, it's taken on an average usage per day basis, so if you stopped using it for a day, the average drops sharply off.

so when it says your 'current usage' it's talking about for the last period it measured.

if you're going to download 1gb every day, you are likely to go over your cap in 8 days based on current usage, but if after 6 days you drop off to only using 200mb per day your 'current usage' pattern changes and you are likely to last a lot longer before going over.

So vibe666 is that why some people are assuming that their download cap has been doubled??

Also:
    Why are IOLBB+ users given one vaiant of the Usage meter then IOLBB users given another with a "X days left until you exceed your limit" given???
    Seems odd to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

My read on the "X days" would be that this is how many days left in your billing period and that you will likely exceed your Cap before the period expires.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    My read on the "X days" would be that this is how many days left in your billing period and that you will likely exceed your Cap before the period expires.

ZEN

But why are iolBBplus customers given a different analysis of their Broadband usage than normal iolBB customers???

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Cause they pay more? *shrugs*

It's not exactly a life altering change in fairness, just simple guesstimation.

Advertisement