Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading MIDlet onto a phone using a web server

Options
  • 15-03-2005 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I've developed my .JAR & >JAD files using the J2ME WTK. I want to download them onto a nokia 7250i. Does anyone know how I can do this using web server? Someone told me that for the web server I need to add two new MIME types for JAD and JAR.
    Can some please give me some pointers
    Thanks
    Glenman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Do a search in the forum or check the FAQs. there is code mentioned for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

Glenman wrote:
    I want to download them onto a nokia 7250i. Does anyone know how I can do this using web server?
    place the jar and jad in a directiry on your webserver.
    point your phone to the url of the directory
    Glenman wrote:
    Someone told me that for the web server I need to add two new MIME types for JAD and JAR.
    what web server?????????????
    for apache
    add the following two lines to the httpd.conf configuration file:
    AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor .jad
    AddType application/java-archive .jar

heres some detailed info http://java.sun.com/products/midp/OTAProvisioning-1.0.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks guys,
    Yes I am using the apache web server.
    I'm not sure if the WTK as created the .jar and .jad correctly for me, they are very small, the .jad is only 165 bytes while the ,jar is only 2.2kb, is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Glenman wrote:
    Thanks guys,
    Yes I am using the apache web server.
    I'm not sure if the WTK as created the .jar and .jad correctly for me, they are very small, the .jad is only 165 bytes while the ,jar is only 2.2kb, is this normal?
    As madramor has said dump them on your web server and add the lines to
    httpd.conf where the other types are defined. Google it if you dont know where
    to find it.
    The sizes do seem small for a game.
    Typical jad would be ~ 1 kb its only a txt file really.
    Typical jad would be ~ 10-80 kb depends on resources and code in game

rkm.

Thanks. Its is not a game only an application to send a string of data to a server using HTTP connections so maybe that is why it is so small.
    Thanks
    Glanman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Glenman wrote:
    The JAD is only a descriptor for the install process, essentially a textfile, and not the application itself. Never bother with them myself, TBH, as they're not essential.

Once I upoad the .JAR onto the website (is it only the .JAR I need?), is it difficult to install it onto the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Do a search for related threads on this forum as Hobbes suggested. It's already been discussed in detail.

Advertisement