Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swetting myself up as a business

Options
  • 15-03-2005 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

hey guys just wondering if you can help me

i have just been offered a job as a contractor, and i have to register fot tax/vat

ehh how??
    do i have to set myself up as a company?

any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

...or you could register yourself under an umbrella company and they do absolutely everything for you.

i'm not sure what theyre like in Ireland but I'm a contractor in the UK and I've been with an Umbrella for the last 6 months. It's no hassle to me, i dont have to worry about tax etc coz they sort it all out for me. They charge 4% of my weekly wage though, but it's not a lot really. They sort my expenses/tax/timesheets/invoices and new contracts. it's a great service and may be worth looking into.

I know a couple of other contractors who have their own Limited companies. It's probably not worth commenting on because it's the UK and as such would be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

You will need to get a VAT number from the tax office and you could also register with the company registration office. I'd give both of them a ring and see what they say....

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

go to the companies registration office, register as a ltd compnay...www.cro.ie
    once this is done you can register for VAT etc...
    its fairly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are two options

Company route which is the CRO

Self-Employment

Company route is more complex and more expensive. The second option just means filling out a form for your local tax office - TR1.
    Get it from Revenue .

http://www.revenue.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

is there any advantage in setting up as a comp or going for self employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have opted for self-employment at present because I found it quicker and easier to set up. Company costs vary but there are a good numeber of agncies that will do it for you at a cost - €400-€600 I have seen it advertised for.
    If you go for a company you must submit audited accounts to the CRO, which costs money, an average of €600 I believe. Being self-employed you still need to keep accounts but no obligation to have them audited. It's your choice. A limited company has advantages in liabiity protection etc.

The links earlier mentioned here as well will help you make the decision.

Advertisement