Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 2: backwards compatable?

• 15-03-2005 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

Ive heard that it is from some ppl and that it isn't from others, does anyone know for sure?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Compatible with what? Games? Accessories?

I'm sure it will be compatible for games. How many are going to splash out on a new console that won't even play their "old" games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Early Reports said that X-Box 2 was NOT backward compatiable but I cant imagine why......I mean I'd still buy it if this was the case, but it would be a very stupid idea :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The Xbox 2 will more than likely not be backwars compatable. It will be using totaly different architecture for the CPU and GPU. And aparently Nvidia holds some patents on technology used in the Xbox, so this cannot be ported over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

the shift in architecture will be a limiting factor and may yet force MS to abandon any backward compatability. But honestly do we really need it? I doubt many ps2 owners still play ps1 games on it.

However, MS may be fighting against a perception that bc is a must have. They will probably spend huge time and effort designing an emulator and ultimately push up the xbox 2 price.

Hyzepher

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I suppose if you take into account that MS make their money on the games, and not the consoles...

Still, if you haven't the console you won't buy the game - they better be selling 'em cheap.

Still think it's a conspiracy theory :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Its defo not needed in the long term, ive a pile of ps1 games ill never play in the ps2 but in the short term with so few games when a console launches the back catalouge and new games coming out on xbox1 before its finally ended shelf life will help provide a wider range for people who only have the new xbox 2. It would be a bad idea not to do it as sony will likly have it in ps3. Nintendo promote the use of older games with the ds as it did with the advance, its an excellent way to make a console seem like its got more games than it has so short term its vital just to get people to buy into xbox2. But hey microsoft like to cut off ties sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

It wont be needed for Xenon.
    Reason being compare the PS1 to PS2 compatibility, why??because most PS2 launch games were just slightly re jigged PS1 games, they didnt take advantage of the hardware.
    Xenons dev kits have been out for the last few months, 3 maybe 4 not sure, anyway Xenon will have next gen graphics etc, for games so backwards compatibilty wont be needed, should have quite a few launch games aswell.

Soon as Xenon comes out anyway im modding my xbox to turn it into a wireless home media server. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Clank wrote:
    Soon as Xenon comes out anyway im modding my xbox to turn it into a wireless home media server. :D

exactly, why not keep the 2, if it was backwards compatibal, all the old xboxs would go into a land fill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Not having a hard drive as standard might make it difficult.

Advertisement