Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam timetables.....?

Options
  • 15-03-2005 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Right I sound like a complete newbie, and i know that they are AGES away and we have PLENTY of time to study (she kids herself slightly) but when do the exam timetables come out...and how scary is the RDS...?

:eek:

freakin' out, moi...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Ah, the RDS. Scary TBH!! very strange seeing upwards of a thousand people in the same hall with their heads down. Very intimidating if you're finished early and have to walk past everyone to leave!

But it's ok, everyone's too concerned with themselves to care about you. If there's a hot invigilator it can be a distraction.

Other than that my first year exams were my favourite one, we'd great craic, easy exams, nice weather, finished early, game of football outside after every exam. COme second year your mates may in different classes. So enjoy it. If possible ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Timetables are out this friday

and there'll ineveitably be a million problems with them.

I remember in the second year repeats there were so many problems that we only got the final version of the timetable in the post the day after we'd had our first exam :eek:

Those were the days that the online version said that they weren't the real ones and that the only version to check was the posted out one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Last week I saw a picture on the UCDSU website of an exam in the RDS and the only words that came to my head were ... motherf**ker! In this one little picture I'd say there was about 3000 people sitting at desks. Seriously summer exams in the old school hall freaked me out but there was only about 200 or so in them but 3000/4000 people doing an exam as the same time as me :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think I might deliberately not show up for my summer exams and take up the old repeats in August so there wont be so many millions of random students around to freak moi out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

i did that whole not showing up for summer exams thing once, turned out it wasn't a good idea. still not sure why........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't. Mention. The. E. Word.
    *buries head in sand*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

hehe the only thing that bothered me about the RDS last year was the fact that, being in first year, we were right down the end and on certain days there was a distinct smell of horse manure. (*awaits the "unwashed arts student" jokes*)

i was late for my first exam so walking past everyone was slightly unnerving but like Uberwolf said, everyone is too concerned with themselves to pay any attention.

and on that note, i should probably do a bit of study! HA yea right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

ah, i quite like the RDS, right beside sandymount dart station, nice big airy aircraft hanger... once you get started you don't notcie the people sitting beside you, let alone the other 3000

But the best part of the whole thing is the walk up to donnybrook off license after the last exam on a lovely summer's day, regardless of how you've done, it's such a weight off your shoulders when it's over you feel you could float.

The best feeling in the world

theCzar wrote:
    But the best part of the whole thing is the walk up to donnybrook off license after the last exam on a lovely summer's day, regardless of how you've done, it's such a weight off your shoulders when it's over you feel you could float.

The best feeling in the world

thats the one. I can feel it even now. wow. it's that inescapable announcement that summer has arrived, that you're king of the world and that no one can stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, walking from the back of the RDS is weird. You think you're making so much noise, and you're doing your best not to trip and look like an idiot. In reality, almost no-one even notices that you leave tbh.
    thats the one. I can feel it even now. wow. it's that inescapable announcement that summer has arrived, that you're king of the world and that no one can stop you.
    Until August :p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Will you ever forget the exam superintendent guy who always does the RDS and his words of wisdom over the PA:

Quiet Quiet

Papers

Ten minutes, stay seated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

The thing is that whenever I go to anything in the RDS now I'm just reminded of my exams! I see something like the clocks really high up on the wall, and flashback to the previous Summer when I was sitting looking at the same clock going "Ah shít, shít, shít..." :D

Tis a lovely feeling when its all over though - at Christmas we all just went straight to the nearest pub, and drank all day. Ended up in the Palace of all places that night and had a brilliant time! I just remember really so completly happy.

Red Alert wrote:
    Will you ever forget the exam superintendent guy who always does the RDS and his words of wisdom over the PA:

Quiet Quiet

Papers

Ten minutes, stay seated
    I remember the evil growly bitch who was doing superintendent in science last year...

Do they start on the 2nd of May this year? under 7 weeks :/

Ssh...

Apparently so, i'm dreading seeing the timetable.... no really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I remember the evil growly bitch who was doing superintendent in science last year...

There's an awful wagon who does it in carysfort as well.

I mean, come on, i've enough to be worried about without some bitch making all sorts of threats re. mobile phones etc.

usually, i'm busy writing formulas on the desk ( i remember them now, but by the tiem the paper gets here i could well have forgotten.

Just say if you happened to be really seriously ill for the May exams and you had to miss them, would they tell you to do the repeats as your first exam? So then if you the August exam as your first exam but you again happen to come down seriously ill and can't do them would they let you into 2nd year without doing any exams in pure sympathy? Am I sounding at all an ickle bit desperate or hopeful?

Exams = :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

theCzar wrote:
    ...usually, i'm busy writing formulas on the desk ( i remember them now, but by the tiem the paper gets here i could well have forgotten.

Yeh what's peoples opinion on this writing down a few formulae on the desk/rough work page of your answer book? Is this cheating?

Yeh what's peoples opinion on this writing down a few formulae on the desk/rough work page of your answer book? Is this cheating?

If you do it before the exam starts IMO that is cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I don't see that as cheating at all, I do it myself. It's knowledge from your own head, you're not using a book or anything like that or copying off someone else. Nothing wrong with it.

Someone was doing it last year in the RDS and the invigilator guy just says to him to turn the page over when he'd finished writing them so the guy in charge wouldn't see them. Sound man!

The guy who runs the RDS is probably the best of all 3. i remember the evil woman in carysfort for our first-year language exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I remember one year I was the only person in my class repeating in August. That was so embarrassing. And this year, those exam papers that were written just for me (I'm special, I am) were passed around as sample papers.

This experience is the reason I haven't failed since.

The RDS is a bit scary the first day, so show up well early and get your bearings. After the first day it isn't so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gaijin

Speaking of timetables they are up now...gulp :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

theCzar wrote:
    usually, i'm busy writing formulas on the desk ( i remember them now, but by the tiem the paper gets here i could well have forgotten.

Ah thats what I've been doing wrong! :D

Timetables are all out now - ours is quite nice, lots of gaps between them. We finish on Saturday 28th at half twelve in Blackrock.

My timetable's not up yet...I can bury my head in the sand for a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Eek. Just got my timetable. Exams office seem to have forgotten about 2 of my courses (Artifical Intelligence and Computer Graphics). Looks like I don't have to do them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Bah! they're here!bah! eugh they'r all at 9.30 am, eugh....thanks lads, phew, not alone....if im going down im taking u all with me...to the pub of course :)

Anyway, happy paddys day :)

Is someone taking the michael here .... exams on Saturday???? No not only one exam on a Saturday but 2 frickin' 3 hour exams on Saturday! :mad:

W*nkers W*nkers W*nkers

Seriously I feel like I'm reliving my leaving cert all over again looking up that timetable. Oh these flashbacks are soooooo horrible :(

• Advertisement

I'm afraid you'll have to get used to it! Saturday exams are a staple of UCD life at this stage!

Advertisement