Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential Gamecube games

Options
  • 15-03-2005 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Sorry to echo the PS2 thread, but I am thinking of buying a Gamecube, mainly for messing around on when I go home to Galway and in particular to play fun games with my two younger brothers (both in their 20s). I have a fairly decent PC and would plan to continue doing most of my gaming on that.

For the Gamecube, I need to know the fun multiplayer games and the best of the rest (I know that Metroid Prime is a must-have). Please share your wisdom! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Multiplayer -
    Mario Kart -- you need this.
    Soul Calibur -- Fighting with swords. Very good!
    F-Zero -- Super fast racing. Not as good as MK for multiplayer, but worth a look (great SP!)
    Monkey Ball 1/2 -- Party games can be great craic.

Single Player -
    Zelda and Metroid Prime really are that damn good. Resident Evil 4 supposed to be great. Eternal Darkness I liked. Trying to think but my minds a blank.. someone else will fill the blanks no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Resident Evil 4 is a good bet and is out soon (or now :confused: )
    Metroid Prime is definitely worth it
    Zelda Wind Waker is most certainly worth your dosh and if you can rustle up master quest from some source then thats Ocarina of Time too :D
    Theres also Resident Evil Remake too for some classic scares
    Tales of Symphonia kept me interested for ages (CuLT has it now :mad: )

As for multiplayer, those already mentioned are prime targets. Also Timesplitters 3 is out on the 25th or theres always Timesplitter 2 if you cant wait. F-Zero is great multiplayer but the single player gets very hard very fast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Resi 4 is brilliant. Out this Friday as well.

Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 are great old school type games.

Ikaruga for hardcore shooter action.

Playing Paper Mario 2 now. It's brilliant

Pikmin 2 and 1 if you can get it cheap.

And of course Metroid Prime 1 + 2

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Mario Party games are always good fun if you have a bunch of people. I'm looking forward to the latest one which comes out this week.

oh... and there is a Wario Ware game on the Gamecube too, which is great multiplayer fun.

But Mario Kart: Double Dash is the best multi player game that you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

Resident evil 4 out the 18th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Super Smash Bros. Melee is a great multiplatyer game. It's a 2D fighting game. One can pick it up and have a quick 2 minute fight. It looks like a simple button basher, but there is a skill involved. A must if you want some multiplayer fun.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Was trying desperately to remember the name of that. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

You never mentioned if you want just GC exclusive, so while I'd reccomend ALL of the above, I'd also reccomd:

X-Men Legends - if you want a laugh. co-op on this is great.
    Burnout2 - cheap as chips racer

and Mario Tennis and the two Donkey konga games are pretty essential too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

game have an amazing deal going now! 99euro. console with donkey konga and bongos and mario kart!!!! cant be beaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Eurogamer ran an article on this very subject or something similar not so long ago I think.

Heres the link: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56410

might be a few ideas for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In the short while I had a cube, some of my favourites were:

Rogue Squadron III
    Gotcha Force
    Smash Bros Melee

These 3 are only for the cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

evad_lhorg wrote:
    game have an amazing deal going now! 99euro. console with donkey konga and bongos and mario kart!!!! cant be beaten
    Are all Game shops running this promotion? Seems a great deal - would just need a few additional controllers. Does Game have a website? How much are players choice titles?

shop.game.net. Not sure about that though. Probably best to go for play.com if buying online.

Players choice are e19.99 IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Just make sure you get RE4. Even if you didn't like the RE series so far you'll love this. One of the best games I've ever played and I've played a lot.

Zelda: The Wind Waker, Soul Calibur 2, F-Zero GX, Rouge Leader and Super Monkey Ball 2 are all well worth a look too. Moneky Ball 2 is especially great for multiplayer fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The best multiplayer cube game is Wario Ware Inc.

FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Goodshape wrote:
    Players choice are e19.99 IIRC.
    should be more like €30, unless game are still trying to beat etailers on price...

Super Monkey Ball 2 = insanely funny multiplayer moments. unlocking the minigames can be fairly onerous though :(
    well worth the price play.com are charging for it at the mo.

http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=stts4&page=title&r=GC&title=113640

ionapaul wrote:
    Are all Game shops running this promotion? Seems a great deal - would just need a few additional controllers. Does Game have a website? How much are players choice titles?

well we have/had one left in dawson st on sunday. not sure if all are runnin it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I had this question just before Xmas and I have since gotten a gc and my list would be.

Metroid Prime, an asolute must have, it is worth buying a gc JUST for this game alone.
    Pikmin, is pretty cheap these days and a great game.
    Donkey Konga with bongos and while your at it grab jungle beats, it is not as long lived but a very innovative game and Donkey Konga is just great fun with a few people about.
    Fzero GX is good for multiplayer action.
    Wario Ware Inc is good for when you all come back from the boozer after a few scoops, I dont see it as being the GREAT game that some shout about but it is definitely a bit of fun.

I'm playing games a few years (33 years old) and have a modded xbox with about 50 games all the latest and the thing that I notice about the GC is it is a fun machine, with xbox you play single player a lot with no social aspect to it, the GC is a very sociable machine and great fun for all ages and great if you have people around.

I haven't switched the xbox on since I got the GC, part of that is the novelty but part of it is also the standard of games on the GC is so much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Super Smash Bros Melee
    00031424.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

evad_lhorg wrote:
    I'd check this: I got the package myself on Friday, and was told on the phone that it included MK, but when I got to the shop, I asked about it, and was told that it wasn't included.

I don't really care, 99 yoyos for a GC is still a great deal (I can't see myself playing much Donkey Konga without a lot of drink on board :))

I've got Pikmin 2, Billy Hatcher, Viewtiful Joe, and Animal Crossing. I already have an xBox, but bought the GC primarily because of the high quality of the GC-only games (like those mentioned above).

• Advertisement

Well, I actually wandered into Game yesterday and the package was still on sale, including the MK game. I think I will buy tomorrow - can't wait to play MK against my brothers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Essential GC single player games:
    1. - Metroid Prime 1&2
    2. - Tales of Symphonia
    3. - Eternal Darkess
    4. - Pikmin 1&2
    5. - Resident Evil 4
    6. - Viewtiful Joe

Essential GC multiplayer games:
    1. - Super Smash Bros. Melee
    2. - Super Monkey Ball 2
    3. - Mario Kart: Double Dash
    4. - Mario Power Tennis
    5. - F-Zero GX
    6. - Zelda 4 Swords Adventure (expensive to set up though cos you need GBA's, but if done is soooooo worth it)

oh yeah, Zelda: Wind Waker is class too for single player

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

All the above seems groovy although recently finished Eternal Darkness, can be bought for the price of a packet of HulaHoops and its a cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Jazzy wrote:
    Essential GC single player games:
    5. - Resident Evil 4
    Has this even been released yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Tomorrow.
    And just for anyone who's interested in buying a GC any time soon, GAME is going to have a bundle with the RE4 pack with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes for 160 euro. Also the Tallaght branch has some rather cheap preowned GCs in stock right now.

Tomorrow.
    And just for anyone who's interested in buying a GC any time soon, GAME is going to have a bundle with the RE4 pack with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes for 160 euro. Also the Tallaght branch has some rather cheap preowned GCs in stock right now.
    Any idea how much? I am heading to Game, Liffey Valley tomorrow to pick up one of the Donkey Konga / Mario Kart bundles for €99, but could be tempted by a better deal! In particular I need three controllers in total and want Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros Melee in short order :) Can't wait to get stuck in.

no the donkey konga deal is unbeatable man. they are 2 60euro games and a console.cheapest youll get a preowned cube would be 75euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

or preowned for €50 in gamestop, but tbh (and even though i hate game) the donkey konga, mariokard deal is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

evad_lhorg wrote:
    cheapest youll get a preowned cube would be 75euro.
    50 in Tallaght right now.

• Advertisement

show me up will yas!!!!! *shakes fist*

Advertisement