Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reyes In Talks to Leave

• 15-03-2005 1:00pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reports in Spain claim that Jose Antonio Reyes' agent has met with Arsenal to broker a fee for which The Gunners would be willing to sell his client.
    Spanish sources are convinced the player will be heading back to Spain in the summer, and insist Reyes has put the wheels in motion to secure his release.
    Reyes's representative, Jesus Rodriguez de Moya, is reported to have met Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein a few days ago with the objective of agreeing a price for which The Gunners would be prepared to allow the Spain international to leave.
    While happy on the pitch at Highbury, Reyes is understood to be unsettled off it having not adapted to life in England.
    He was the victim of a hoax telephone call from a Spanish newspaper earlier in the season in which he admitted he would relish a return to Spain, and in particular to Real Madrid.
    Indeed, it is with a move to Real in mind that Rodriguez de Moya is meant to have convened with Dein.
    Los Merengues are set for a major overhaul of their playing staff in the summer with another trophyless season now a distinct possibility, and Reyes is one of their top targets.
    The forward is known to be keen on a switch to the Santiago Bernabeu and acknowledged his pride that the capital club were reportedly following him during his current stay in Spain.
    Reyes's former manager at Sevilla, Joaquin Caparros, is one of those convinced that the forward will return to Spain in the summer and sign for Real.
    "Reyes has the profile to play for Real Madrid," Caparros stated when questioned on the matter.
    "He has a lot of quality and I see him in the short term at Real Madrid."
    If Arsenal do ultimately decide to offload the 21-year-old at the end of the season they will look to recoup most of the near £17 million fee they laid out on him in January last year.

Did not think he was serious, not up to scratch from what I can see

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Arsenal paid £17m for him, didn't realise it was that much! :eek: I think he's a great player and has lots more potential, Real would suit his playing style too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ya a big sum, buckets of potential but cannot seem to come to grip with the PL. Would be a great asset for Real, I would let him off for Beckham and Owen in exchange + cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Reyes was never happy in England, its very hard for spanish players (and others ) to get used to the anglo saxon culture and its a very physical game. Arsen is going to have to do some serious shopping this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If Arsenal manage to get Owen they will be unstopable up front. He's exactly what they've been crying out for, for the past two or three season's - someone to score 'ugly' goals from inside the box. He's a great player already but he'd be an utter revelation at Arsenal.

Hope it doesn't happen as I still want to see him come home to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

He will be followed out the door by Cole...

I saw an interview on SS news yesterday with Guillem Ballague and it looks like Real are going through a big crisis...the fans are getting very restless and want Beckham/Figo & Ronaldo out. Owen is a big favourite over there and I can't see them letting him go.
    They would also like to see Gerrard & Lampard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Owen is a big favourite over there and I can't see them letting him go.

F.Morienties was a big favourite with the fans too and look what Reál did. They sent him off to Monaco and then sold him.

I dont know what goes on at Madrid but its a total mess. The players arent being made to play properly. They need a new president (managers dont seem to be able to do much)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The problem with Real is that for far too long the lunatics have run the asylum. The players pick the team with Raul and Ronaldo wielding more influence in the dressing room than whoever the manager is for that particular month. Three managers this season says it all really. It's all down to Perez though, all too often he overrules the manager's disciplinary decisions in the favour of the players as was recently seen in Ronaldo's 'engagement' party. Luxemburgo forbade him from going, Ronaldo went whinging to Perez who told Luxemburgo to let the Brazilian do what he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If he goes I for one will be disappointed. It takes at least a season for foreign players to get used to the Premiership. I personally think next season he will be one of the stars of Arsenal and be more consistant than he is now.

If he does go they will have to get back all the money they splashed out on him given his potential and obvious skill. I would love to see Owen link up with Henry as they would make a formidable partnership, Beckham would be good as a new kit boy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Apparently, Figo is definitely on his way out at Madrid. Roberto Carlos and Raul are possibly going to be let go. Beckham will more than likely stay since he's still a tremendous source of advertising revenue to the club. Owen will more than likely leave unless given a chance to play regular first team football. If Reyes and Robinho both come, then it's almost certain there'll be no room at the inn for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

interesting, i seen a footie programme last night featuring reyes, he said something like 'i wouldnt understand why anyone would leave a club like arsenal'.
    he went on to praise london, the fans and his team-mates.

if arsenal do sell him, surely they'll be looking to make a profit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

smemon wrote:

if arsenal do sell him, surely they'll be looking to make a profit.

They wont make one, Reyes is no greater a player now than a year back and the market is pretty slack, hardly any expensive players are being sold on for more than they cost these days.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Arsenal have only paid £10.5m for Reyes to date, the other £6m is for various performance clauses which won't be activated if he's sold. I'd imagine Sevilla would have a sell-on clause though.

Reyes' agent today has said the rumours are bull, and i'll be disappointed if he leaves. Silver lining though, if Reyes goes, Wright-Phillips will be an Arsenal player next season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Reyes's agent is trying to get Madrid to bite but it's not happening at the moment. Owen's agent has been talking to Arsenal so something might happen this summer - ultimately it all comes down to the Real Madrid president he's looking to offload Ronaldo to make Owen a part of the first team starting line-up.

Raskolnikov :
    Figo is in talks with Liverpool about a potential free transfer in the summer. The player has known for over a year that his contract at Madrid isn't going to be extended.

Man Utd have an offer in for Roberto Carlos but Madrid find it unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Man Utd have an offer for Carlos? I don't understand why? Heinze? Is that a leftover from last year or is it new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

yop wrote:
    Ya a big sum, buckets of potential but cannot seem to come to grip with the PL. Would be a great asset for Real, I would let him off for Beckham and Owen in exchange + cash

Lol they won't get beckham, owen and cash. Would Arsenal take Solari? Reyes would be playing in Solari's position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

considering he hasnt performed for us at all except for the perioid at the start of this season he would be very lucky to get real madrid coming after him

he has tons of potential and quality but you can see out on the pitch hes having problems with his confidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bannor wrote:

Figo is in talks with Liverpool about a potential free transfer in the summer.

Heard this one before, hope its not true. Whatever about his skills, his attitude stinks. Pool does'nt need prima-donnas. They can sign for a southern club!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

PHB wrote:
    Man Utd have an offer for Carlos? I don't understand why? Heinze? Is that a leftover from last year or is it new?
    Madrid are looking to get rid and I think that Man Utd are just being cheeky. The offer is recent and it's for £1M with a potential further £5M depending on appearances and performances.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he could replace Giggs on the left wing if he was signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bannor is there any news on who Utd will sign this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

with madrid obviously going to splash the cash this summer and chelsea chasing big names this summer too, it could be a memorable season in terms of transfer fees. imagine chelsea and madrid in a battle for gerrard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Bannor wrote:
    Madrid are looking to get rid and I think that Man Utd are just being cheeky. The offer is recent and it's for £1M with a potential further £5M depending on appearances and performances.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he could replace Giggs on the left wing if he was signed.

i doubt if there's any truth in that. 1st of all, madrid would need someone to take his place which isnt an easy find, 2ndly he's going on 32 in april, giggs is 32 in november, 3rdly heinze is atm one of the best LB's in the world.

unless madrid are looking to slash their wage bill which would make sense, they wouldnt offload some of their best players ie ronaldo and carlos, especially for the likes of 1m. madrid play dirty when it comes to transfer dealings though, they are very sly indeed when it comes to buying players. they dont usually sell too many players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Carlos isnt one of there best players. A major over haul in how the club is run is needed. That means getting rid of players who are too old. And Carlos is one of them.

PHB wrote:
    Man Utd have an offer for Carlos? I don't understand why? Heinze?

Maybe Ferguson would consider giving Heinze a go at at centre back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SteM wrote:
    Maybe Ferguson would consider giving Heinze a go at at centre back?

I would be very surprised if United were interested in Carlos. We have more pressing needs that a left back. I don't see Heinze being moved.

The Muppet wrote:
    I would be very surprised if United were interested in Carlos. We have more pressing needs that a left back. I don't see Heinze being moved.

I agree totally, just trying to make some sort of sense out of the rumour.

Interesting Idea though, wouldn't mind seeing Slyvestre go and Heinze at centre back :)
    Rio + Heinze would be an unstoppable central defense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus lads the thread is about Reyes and now we are discussing Uniteds defense options :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tbh hope reyes doesnt leave, i like the cut of his jib.

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

4-5 of Madrids first team squad will leave this summer most likely it will be the follwoing

Raul
    Beckham
    Carlos
    Rondalo
    Figo

Beckham agrees.
    http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=52235&idSez=20

so does raul
    http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=52256&idSez=20

and again
    http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=51961&idSez=20

And this scares me
    http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=51960&idSez=20

Beckham at milan? He isn't fit to play for palermo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'm surprised at the talk of Raul leaving. He's pretty much a firm favourite with the fans. I agree with Gandalf though, I think Reyes will be much better for it if he stays on another season at least, but as they say, there's no smoke without fire.

Arsenal have a reputation for being wily in the transfer market though - remember Nicolas Anelka for £23million? I reckon they'll get at least £12m (£1.5m above what they've paid) or a wad of cash that Wenger can put back into the team, especially if the deal is done before the deadline - it will give him all summer to line up other targets.

Here, if you were Real Madrid, would you sign Reyes?
    Like seriously, you can have any player you want, and while Reyes has shown potential, he is nowhere near what his best will be, and thats a couple of years away if you ask me.
    Real need solid preformers like Joaquin and Vincente, who are more likely to be bought than Reyes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The main rumour doing the rounds is that Adriano to Real is a done deal, with many suggesting Ronaldo will go back to Inter in part exchange. Sounds insane, but stranger things have happened and Inter are possibly the world's worst club when it comes to transfer dealings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Moratti stated last week that as long the fans want adriano to stay he will stay.

Besides, why would a club who don't need to sell trade world class for had-class?

Oh yeah, the inter fans HATE ronaldo after the way he left after WC2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

The main rumour doing the rounds is that Adriano to Real is a done deal, with many suggesting Ronaldo will go back to Inter in part exchange. Sounds insane, but stranger things have happened and Inter are possibly the world's worst club when it comes to transfer dealings.

Ronaldo has always said that the only club he'd leave Real for would be Inter, but that was before Chelsea found a leprechauns stash.

Advertisement