Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need some advice...

Options
  • 15-03-2005 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Righty.. as I'm fast approaching the big 30 (just a few months to go now!) I've decided it's about time to get myself a license & some wheels.

So, I've to call this week and book my Theory test, and then get a provisional license sorted, but in the meantime I've been looking at potential cars and I've found what I think is a bargain - 1999, 1.3 Automatic, only 20k on the clock and like new for 6 and a half grand (less for cash).

The question is (and bear with me cause it's all new to me still :)), can I buy it and just park it temporarily (like say in my driveway) while I get the license sorted, or will it still need to be taxed/insured first - in which case I'll have to wait?

Its an import from a place down by the Point Depot. Is registration paid for by me or them in that case (I read that it's usually the garage's responsibility, but are imports different?)

I don't really wanna lose out on this, so I thought I'd post here for any suggestions as to how feasible keeping it in storage for a while really is, or anything else I'm (undoubtably) forgetting to take into account.

Ta in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Righty.. as I'm fast approaching the big 30 (just a few months to go now!) I've decided it's about time to get myself a license & some wheels.

So, I've to call this week and book my Theory test, and then get a provisional license sorted, but in the meantime I've been looking at potential cars and I've found what I think is a bargain - 1999, 1.3 Automatic, only 20k on the clock and like new for 6 and a half grand (less for cash).

I'm not sure, but is there still a different license for automatics and manuals? If you are learning to drive, you probably should buy an manual car - then you will be qualified to drive a manual or an automatic. If you only learn auto, then that's all you'll be able to drive. Auto typically adds about 500-1000 to the price of a new car.

I don't know how things like semi-autos come into this - are they regarded as automatics due to lack of clutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you do your driving test in an automatic car then your licence doesn't cover driving a manual car. Also insurance can be dearer for an auto transmission as they can be more expensive to put right if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If the car is parked in your private driveway, then it doesn't need to be taxed or insured. However you probably have to fill out a form declaring that your car is not being used on the road otherwise you could be liable for arreers tax when you do get around to taxing the car.

I don't know if getting an automatic is such a good idea. As already said, if you pass your test in an automatic then you're not licenced to drive a manual. Given that most cars on the road are manual, you'll be limiting yourself as to the cars you can drive/buy in the future.

And learning to drive in a car with manual gears is no big deal, the gears will feel funny at first but after a few lessons it will become second nature, just like riding a bicycle :)

BrianD3

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I don't really wanna lose out on this
    Sounds like a sales person has done a good job on you!! 6 grand for a '99 what exactly? There's so much choice out there it's insane, don't just go for the first thing you see.

Agree with above other comments, get a manual and pass your test in a manual, then you can drive autos all your life if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

as already said.. if you pass ur test driving an automatic you will only have a licence for an automatic.. Better to do it in a manual car.. Hard enough to pass once let alone twice !

You don't need to tax/insure it to park it in your driveway. When it comes near the time to tax it you call into your local Garda station and get them to sign a form stating the car has been off the road and so is not liable for back tax.. "But the guard doesn't know that" I hear you say? Well thats the way it works..

One other consideration.. If its an import.. Has the VRT been paid on the car? It might be a bargain at the current price but if the VRT has not been paid, that extra cost might no longer make it a bargain..

Jayo

• Advertisement
Advertisement