Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Q about WEP/MAC

• 15-03-2005 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I know WEP is pretty insecure compared to WPA, but when WEP has to be used (and specifically 64bit WEP) and it is combined with MAC filtering - is that secure? Once the MAC filtering is in place, does that rule out anyone even getting to sniff at the WEP? Is MAC filtering secure or can it be spoofed somehow from outside the network?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say "secure enough" if a) You're not overly concerned about your data security (i.e. a home network) and b) you keep an eye on what's going on every so often.

As you know WEP can be cracked, and MAC addresses can be spoofed.

It's unlikely that any wardriver would be so bothered as to spend the effort sniffing your packets and trying to make their way in, particularly when one of your neighbours probably has a wide open network 50 metres away.

It may be possible to set up MAC filtering and DHCP limiting so that if you have say 3 machines always on, on the network, then your router only gives out three IP addresses. If a MAC address is cloned, you should see an IP conflict appearing, and/or a machine being booted off the network.

If you're trying to secure a business AP or your data needs to be extremely secure, then I'd say no, it's not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

NAh, its just a home network. I would like to use something more secure than 64bit WEP but one machine can only use WEP.

Thanks Seamus, that was what i wanted to know. And as it happens, theres two unsecured wireless networks on either side of the house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

seamus wrote:
    If a MAC address is cloned, you should see an IP conflict appearing, and/or a machine being booted off the network.
    A wardriver that is able to spoof the MAC will most probably be smart enough to not rely on DHCP, and will use a statically assigned IP, avoiding any conflict.
    The security conscious (read "paranoid") will change the WEP key every hour or so :)

Cheers,
    JP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JoyPad wrote:
    A wardriver that is able to spoof the MAC will most probably be smart enough to not rely on DHCP, and will use a statically assigned IP, avoiding any conflict.
    D'oh! Missed that. Though you could in theory refuse to also relay/route/accept any packets from any machine but the three IPs. If you're gonna got that far though, you might as well go the WPA route.

How easy is it to sniff out the MAC from a WEP'ed wireless network?

• Advertisement

Boro wrote:
    How easy is it to sniff out the MAC from a WEP'ed wireless network?
    First you need to use brute force on WEP, and of course, 64bit would be easier to crack than 128bit. I never did it myself, but I read on tomsnetworking.com that it takes a few hours for 128bit.
    Then MAC is easy, first unencrypted packet will reveal source and destination MACs and IPs.

Ah. Thanks for the info.
    Still, once its moderately secure its fine. Nothing to hide and id probably notice someone parked outside the house for a few hours :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

As far as I know but id have to double check all 802.11 WEP encrypted trafic at layer 2 has the MAC adress in plain text and its the the data part of the packet thats encrypted.

EDIT:

Yeah I just checked and its only the body of of the 802.11 frame thats encrypted and the header containing all the MAC addresses is in the clear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could use a subnet like 255.255.255.248 to limit the range to 6 valid IP's, won't really help much unless all 6 are in use, or add fake routes to the unused IP's so they don't go to the internet but you need a very configuable internet router for that.

None of the network options are particularly secure though. Mucking about with DHCP to give out false routes etc will just make the true route and IP range obvious in sniffed trafic. Locking down the network to just a few IPs still means you can jump in when the other device isn't there or just mussle in and ignore the conflict. I know people who have done this is hotspots to get access.

• Advertisement

None of the network options are particularly secure though.
    If the keys change quicker than they can be cracked, the system is secure.
    This can be achieved even with 128bit WEP.

So theres not much you can do at all to halt a semi-determined hacker?
    So does WPA(-PSK?) slow them down?

Boro wrote:
    So theres not much you can do at all to halt a semi-determined hacker?
    So does WPA(-PSK?) slow them down?

You can def stop hackers/crackers but its not any one thing that does it. If sombody does break in to your network and your machine is patched and you use SSL websites etc. the wost they can do is use your bandwith.

Yes WPA is secure but with the PSK you have to use a fairly obsceure key (ie: alpha numeric, non dictionary). WPA2/802.11i standard which will have hardware accelerated AES + a few fixes.
    JoyPad wrote:
    If the keys change quicker than they can be cracked, the system is secure. This can be achieved even with 128bit WEP.
    I was refering to the Layer 3 messing (DHCP, routing etc).

Sure but you refering to 802.11x/EAP and AFAIK it has a few weaknesses as well, mainly due to the fact that it was designed for a wired enviorment but I havn't read that much in to it, TBH sombody determined enough to get in at that stage will probabaly attack a softer part of the network or one of the authorised/privlaged clients.

Well, its not as if i have anything important to hide, maybe just my bandwidth. Ive benefitted from more than a few unprotected APs lately and i just was wondering whether my own was as easy to leech off, despite WEP/MAC filtering. Thanks for the education :D

Advertisement