Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrowing money

Options
  • 15-03-2005 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I want to borrow a sum of money (circa 15k) am a homeowner & in full time employment.

Any ideas of best lenders or interest rates ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tesco.... 7.9% which is the best I found!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

credit union

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    credit union

Yep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Is the credit union not more expensive (not to mention I'd need to have a third in there already)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

if you are a home owner, it would probably be better to borrow of your mortgage.

much lower interest rate.

Lower interest rate but a higher overall payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

iMax wrote:

:confused: are you sure max?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

iMax wrote:

What term are you borrowing over or how much per month have you to budget with?

And no I can't lend you it myself sorry :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭stones

Whats the current credit union interest rate?

• Advertisement

Not 100% sure. But one would think that by topping up a mortgage, one would be extending the term of the loan to the term of the mortgage, thereby costing more in the longrun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

you can select the term, I borrowed via a topup mortgage for a car a couple of years ago, selected a term over 6 years - wouldnt do it again though unless its for home improvements or something that ISNT going to depreciate!!

When we sold the house a year later, loan was cleared as normal out of the equity - worked out well for us at the time.

Only other thing to bear in mind is that some banks have a minumum amount they will lend you and you are also (possibly) liable for legal fee's - the loan may or may not be eligible for TRS as well (Have done 2 equity loans now and both have to the surpirse of my broker :))

BTW - did you get the Collateral DVD posted out on Friday??

Hi Samo, Thanks for that info. Yes I did get collateral BTW, sorry for not letting you know !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

so whats the best option for someone that does not have a mortgage, and has just joined the credit union (max loan 6000). I want to get a car, bout 13 or 14k loan is needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ando wrote:
    so whats the best option for someone that does not have a mortgage, and has just joined the credit union (max loan 6000). I want to get a car, bout 13 or 14k loan is needed

The best option is to buy a cheaper car. You would be crazy to be borrowing that kind of money for a car and paying interest on your debts for years. Buy a cheap car & start saving.

Advertisement