Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else hate Counter-Strike?

Options
  • 15-03-2005 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Surely there is someone else who hates this game?

I can't stand it. Never did like it. I love Day of Defeat, and some other Half Life mods, and I enjoyed games like New World Order and other CS type Clones. I LOVE Soldier Of Fortune II, which is somewhat similar to CS with the weapons and teamplay etc.

But I still hate CS. Tried to play it. Even Bought it on the X-Box. But no, just can't like it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

ya i really hate that ****ing stupid pile of crap they call a game :):):):):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I enjoyed playing it back in the day... although those lans were well dodgy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Surely there is someone else who hates this game?

I can't stand it. Never did like it. I love Day of Defeat, and some other Half Life mods, and I enjoyed games like New World Order and other CS type Clones. I LOVE Soldier Of Fortune II, which is somewhat similar to CS with the weapons and teamplay etc.

But I still hate CS. Tried to play it. Even Bought it on the X-Box. But no, just can't like it.
    I hated being killed by people who should have, been outside gaining social skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I don't hate the game.

In saying that I don't really like it either, never held my attention for long. And all the twats who play it make it not really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Never played it tbh. Never liked the idea of these tactical team based games. Give me a rocket launcher, rail gun and someone/thing to kill.

I've got no intention of being the medic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

/me pwns Goodshape with his Defibulator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

It's cool to say "I hate cs" now is it?
    The people who claim not to like it are probably the ones who get pwned in every round...

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

It's always cool to to hate anything that's popular, CS rocks though, it's pure gameplay fun. people who don't like it need a gimic to enjoy a game, eg, glossy graphics, contravercy around a game or such. play all your games with the graphics set to minimum and long enough for the fads to wear off and you'll find CS to be one of the most playable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

:rolleyes:
    The people who claim not to like it are probably the ones who get pwned in every round...

Sorry, but I genuinely Hate the game. And also, in the time I played it, I was decent at it, not the best tbh but far from the worst.
    play all your games with the graphics set to minimum and long enough for the fads to wear off and you'll find CS to be one of the most playable.

I actually quite like the graphics and weapon models in CS, thats not my problem either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I never got into the original CS (probably due to a number of things: My PC back in the day was a ball of ****e - playing with 12fps sucked arse, and the fact that I sucked at it myself, thus spending most of my time floating around waiting for the next round), but I like CS Source. It seems more noob-friendly, which suits me fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to like it before the servers got clogged up with twats and admins that abuse their power. Saying that I don't mind playing it in a LAN. I suppose its who you play with and teenage americans, utter twats and overzealous nerdy admins are not who you want to be playing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

davej wrote:

davej

My thoughts exactly. Probably on the receiving end of one to many head shots :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Cs.

It's a fun game. It doesn't compare to q3 and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentance as quakeworld (unless you're saying "cs shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentance as quakeworld").....but it's fun none the less.

It's easy for new people to pick up, this is it's main advantage, but I can't really see anything fantastic in all the "great" players. I mean in qw, I watch a demo of a great player playing, he's been playing for 8+ years and you can see it, perfect aim, perfect movement, perfect tactics....none of these seem to have been accomplished in cs so far. Also there's the element of the crosshair...you can get lucky and hit a headshot by simply firing your submachine gun near your enemy, whereas in quake you have to be accurate...it stands the other way too - no one in CS can have perfect aim because of the way crosshairs work.

Just my thoughts, I enjoy playing cs but not half as much as I do other games.

Fobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Stephen wrote:
    I never got into the original CS (probably due to a number of things: My PC back in the day was a ball of ****e - playing with 12fps sucked arse, and the fact that I sucked at it myself, thus spending most of my time floating around waiting for the next round), but I like CS Source. It seems more noob-friendly, which suits me fine :)

I too had a ****e pc the time it came out, that and a nice 56k connection omg. So playing online was not an option. Only played source for a bit. Not my cup of tea(probably cos I never spent the time to get into it). Prefer deathmatch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

cs is great. although after playing it for around six months in college, its getting a bit boring. and yes there are some total ****s playing. but can anyone name a game where spoilt fifteen year old americans arent abusing the servers, or where the '3l3t3' arent 'pawning' 'n00bs'(or however the **** you'd say it)

and Kazu really is **** at the game.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My thoughts exactly. Probably on the receiving end of one to many head shots

Congratulations both of you, for the two most ignorant comments this week.

Just beccause I dislike CS, does not meant that I'm a bitter noob whos shít at it. Or whatever image you want to assign to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I dislike alot about the game, but a nice clean 5v5 match with no super sound effects, 5 awp per team and all the other messing. Just straight up vanilla 5v5.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Congratulations both of you, for the two most ignorant comments this week.

Just beccause I dislike CS, does not meant that I'm a bitter noob whos shít at it. Or whatever image you want to assign to that effect.

Well maybe if you provided some actual reasons why you dislike the game people won't jump to conclusions. Thanks for the award. Do I have to share it?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Battle of the nerds...interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Blasphemy.... :eek:

The real fun of cs is proper 5v5 matches with teamwork and tactics. Not everyones cup of tea I know but it's the best in it's genre. Tactical fps.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

While you all seem to like to compare cs to the likes of Q3, QW, doom3 etc
    what you fail to realize is that they are totally different games with different
    styles of play and schools of thought.

The likes of quake, UT, doom3 all stem from the deathmatch ideal, where you die and are reborn to keep fighting, although with less weapons. the idea behind this is to make a fast paced game which is usually good at getting adrenaline going and lots of fun.

The difference with cs is its more of a thinkers game, apart from the 'saps' who play, but you will find them in any game and to the same extent proportionatly to the number of total players (cs being the most popular has the most saps) the idea that when you die YOU ARE DEAD is what sets it apart from the others. this adds a pseudo 'danger' feel which is another way to get adrenaline going and thus make it fun. cos thats in the end what we are after.

To hate a game just because of the type of people who play it is kind of sad.
    Anyway if you dont like it dont play it, but is there really a point to try an draw out all the moths with this CS flame??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It lacks vehicles, any sort of realism and the ability to go prone.

I used to really enjoy it about 3 years ago, and then I stopped.
    Just couldn't continue.
    I've been roped into filling spaces on teams at lan compos, though I managed to escape that fate at the last lan. Thank fúck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

jaggeh wrote:
    the idea that when you die YOU ARE DEAD is what sets it apart from the others

Yes...only to come back to life in the next round? Now I aint no "counter terrorist", but I'm pretty sure if you get shot in the head you wont be coming back to life very soon :)
    Syxpak wrote:
    though I managed to escape that fate at the last lan. Thank fúck.

As per usual tbh ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jaggeh wrote:
    the idea that when you die YOU ARE DEAD is what sets it apart from the others. this adds a pseudo 'danger' feel

Sorry but i think Jaggeh definitely has a point there. You really don't want to die in CS because it's a fate worse than death, watching 2 people walk past each other for 4 minutes and never finding each other :) It is one of the things that makes CS different.

My problem with the players is that they take all the fun out of CS that is present in other games. They take it far too seriously. It's kind of sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

hey guys, CS is an absolutle classic, and dont forget , it is OLD.
    official maps were , VERY WELL made, cs source is even better, looks great !
    ****in great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I love the CS, used to slag it off in the days when Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament were big but these days I'd say it's my favourite online game apart from WoW (which is really more of a way of life than a game anyway).

I mostly just play on public servers which can be a hit and miss affair. Since I got broadband I tend to play on either german or french servers, mostly because they've got good pings but also because if there are idiots talking gibberish at least I can't understand it.

CS source was definitely a step forward even for the new physics model alone. Killing someone and seeing their body flop off a bunch of crates is priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Placebo wrote:
    hey guys, CS is an absolutle classic, and dont forget , it is OLD.

So is quake.
    And frag-for-frag, I find it more fun than CS, even with the shower of cheatin' bastards that play it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

The cheats always ruined CS for me. Far too many people on the servers shooting through invisible walls. I remember one day watching two people playiing a subgame. both with invisible wall cheats on stalking each other across a level. Anytime I was ever in DNC for the Saturday night sessions you would always have one or two cheating their a55es off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Well i used to play CS, i was never really good at it, but then again i only ever played it in the likes of DNC or a home lan. But since we got ADSL into the house i played when ever i need a break from whatever MMORPG i was playing. With CS : Source it's alot better, At least now when you find a server that has less of teh a*holes you can at least find it easy by checking your history or even your favorties =).

I've only ever been good at one game (a MMorpg) so when i play cs: s i never get uptight i just play it to relax =).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

IIt lacks vehicles, any sort of realism and the ability to go prone.

I used to really enjoy it about 3 years ago, and then I stopped.
    Just couldn't continue.
    I've been roped into filling spaces on teams at lan compos, though I managed to escape that fate at the last lan. Thank fúck.

How many fps shooters have vehicles tbh? The game is about close quarters combat. It's not an army game it's special forces and how often do they use vehicles apart from getting to the destination?

Cs is and alway has been about fun. It's not meant to be 100% realistic. Yes you can shoot through 5 foot concrete walls. Yes you can get shot a good few times without dying. The game wouldn't be as much fun if you couldn't.

A lot of noobs thing good players hack because they pull off a lot of amazing shots or they get shot through walls. There are a lot of hackers on the public circuit though but it's usually easy to spot the shakey aim blatant hackers. The configers are the hard ones to spot unless they make it obvious.

Anyway like I said earlier it's not everyones cup of tea just as deathmatch style fps's aren't my cup of tea. Q3 and UT are by no means bad games but I just don't get the enjoyment I get from cs outta them.

BloodBath

Advertisement