Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Thrills have laptop nicked - in Dublin!

Options
  • 15-03-2005 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

From www.nme.com
    THE THRILLS have appealed for help after guitarist DANIEL RYAN had a laptop containing new material stolen on Friday (March 11).

The band are offering a reward for the return of the computer and other personal effects including photographs and CDs.

The booty was swiped from a car as the band went to perform a show in their native Dublin on Friday.

"Before we actually got to the gig I had my travel bag stolen," says Ryan. "I left my bag in my friend's car but when we went back to the car to come down to the event, the window had been smashed and my bag had been taken."

He added: "My laptop - which I'd only bought recently, all my CDs, my DVDs, books, my discman and a photograph album have all been taken. I'm really upset about it."

Ryan says there is a reward for the return of his stuff.

"The computer has new material that we've been working on - we always have little bits of music and things like that on our computers and I'm lost without mine. If anyone can help us get it back it would be really appreciated."

The laptop probably had a load of stuff that sounded like The Byrds sung by a nasal fool who pronounces everything strangely ('dackchurs and zigguratts'), so no great loss for music. Good work to the knacker responsible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Call me cynical but all sounds like a publicity stunt ... laptop or a CD with the songs goes missing prior to the album launch etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

True, hadn't thought of the similarity with another oirish band begob and bejasus sure de oirish is always gatecrashin' sorr.

Do you think this is just to get their name in the papers pre-album release? Or as a back up excuse if the album gets slated as 'all the deadly stuff was on the laptop' ;)

What kind of Dikhead (sic) leaves a laptop in the car, in full view? What was wrong with the boot? Like most people!! I reckon this is just another "controversy" ala Bono and the lads... How many albums have been stolen from them?

People will do anything these days for publicity...

People will do anything these days for publicity...

And unfortunately its working. Why did I start this thread? Someone delete it immediately.

Maybe if we go off-topic enough... How are you these days magpie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

I wish somebody would steal The Thrills themselves.

Yes, I'm aware that doesn't really make any sense, but I still wish it would happen.

"Awhhhhh... Korrrrrrey Heeeeeeeyyyyyyym!" - What a pack of twats...

I'm in fine fettle thanks Hoff.

You know who I think are a good band? The Futureheads. Just got their album yesterday, very good in a Wire / XTC type of way. Plus the Hounds of Love is class.

Cool. I came across a guy called Paddy Milner the other day. Great stuff. Kind of Ben Folds-y jazzy piano with great arrangments. I think he's London based though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

"hello we're the ****ing thrills"

hello you're ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I remember me and my old band were recording a demo in Dublin in 1997.
    We were putting some of our gear away for the night in one of the storage rooms, and noticed that Blink's (then unreleased) new album was sitting on one of the shelves. We thought about nicking it, then remembered that Blink were actually crap.. so we left it there.

K.

• Advertisement

Thank God! it'll delay new stuff! Sometimes everyone needs a knacker! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

BrianD wrote:
    Call me cynical but all sounds like a publicity stunt ... laptop or a CD with the songs goes missing prior to the album launch etc etc.
    not to ruin the conspiracy theory but they haven't got a new album planned for this year, they just released one last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They can afford laptops? Then why don't they buy some clean fscking clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BIteen

i acully met conor deasy(lead singer) in town today everything was sorted out because they sent i virus to the laptop and everythiing got erased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

OK, that might be a good thing. Wilfully transmitting a virus is hugely illegal and singling out a machine for a virus is amazingly illegal and involves some serious hacking, all stuff I'd suggest The Thrills are incapable of and yer man was just spoofing to you... I won't point out that perhaps the most serious virus that the machine will ever see is The Thrills music on it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's ok, there's a back up copy of all the music here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

was it ever found.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Doctor J wrote:
    I won't point out that perhaps the most serious virus that the machine will ever see is The Thrills music on it ;)

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

BIteen wrote:
    i acully met conor deasy(lead singer) in town today everything was sorted out because they sent i virus to the laptop and everythiing got erased.
    :D hahahah

You hear that everyone here who's slagging the Thrills? They might send a virus to your computer and erase everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

it's a thin line between crime and community service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Von wrote:
    it's a thin line between crime and community service.
    ROFL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I wonder has a signed band ever had a laptop stolen that DIDN'T have their new material on it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

'Tis an ill wind that blows no good!

Where are these people? They should be headhunted and rewarded for their public spirited selflessness. If indeed, as has already been mentioned, it's not a publicity bluff.

Just a pity the bloody banjoes weren't nicked too.

Damo

Advertisement