Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starcraft 2?

Options
  • 15-03-2005 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

http://www.infoceptor.com/

I stumbled accross this page, the news for Sunday, March 13, 2005 speculates that blizzard are gearing up for a (proper) sequal to Starcraft

Battle for Middle Earth Designer to work on... Starcraft 2? - Deathwing @ 0:48:55 EST
    Direct from Gamespy...

Dustin Browder, game design director for Battle for Middle-earth for Electronic Arts, will be leaving the company March 9 to join Blizzard as a senior designer.

Browder, who has been with EA since the Westwood Studios days, has worked on several RTSs, including Red Alert 2 and C&C Generals. He said he will be working out of Blizzard's Irvine office and will be answering to Rob Pardo, who has worked extensively on Blizzard's Warcraft franchise, most recently, World of Warcraft.

He has not been told what project he will be working on when he starts March 14, but he assumes it will be an RTS because of his background. Could it possibly be Warcraft IV or StarCraft 2? "I hope so," he said.

Check out the rest of the article over here. Blizzard is certainly the process of developing an RTS, and with it being based in Irvine, it'll certainly be a continuation of either the Warcraft or Starcraft universe. Our bet in Starcraft 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

That would be sweet. Though if they are only thinking about it now, it probably won't be out for another 2 years.

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ooooo....

i should dig up my copy of starcraft and finish it...*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Hey spacedog, maybe when it's out we take a trip to carlow and get the old sc gang together for a few games in 307 eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Starcraft is the best RTS game ever. I'd love a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

For once retro gamer I completely agree with you. Startcraft was and probably still is the best rts of all time. It's the only rts I really got into and was very good at. My mate was ranked 3rd in the European ladder.

I've been hearing rumours about this for a while. I thought they were just using the wc3 engine and the rlease wasn't too far away. Did you see the hydralisk skins and other sc skins in wc3?

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope they raise the populaton limits from WC3. I want to command millions of zerglings. 'Purge my pretties, purge!'.

Yeah zerg all the way baby. I love flooding an enemys base with wave after wave. Definitly my favourite race but god damn those protoss when they get built up. Ah well I know how to deal with them, it's the new races i'm worried about. SC2 is rumourd to have 5 races. Human, zerg, protoss and 2 new ones.

BloodBath

It's good, but it's no homeworld

But no doubt, with blizzard being the perfectionists they are any sequel to starcraft will indeed rock, and this time all those crazy koreans won't have a few year head start on me, but they'll probably still humiliate me each time i go online.....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cullilingus

Starcraft was a quality game, it was no Total Annihilation though!

Homeworld has a better single player game but Starcraft was better in multiplayer because it was so well balanced.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Homeworld has a better single player game but Starcraft was better in multiplayer because it was so well balanced.
    You don't get much better balance than a game where the 2 armies are practically the same......For me starcraft was ruined(like cs) by an elitist hardcore community. Great fun at a lan or with friends online, and I loved the incredibly broad scale of tactics you could use right from the start and the game has aged really well. The only strategy games I've played that I can honestly say have more fun MP are Ground Control and Homeworld-but the starcraft single player game was just dire.

You're right about hardcore elite but I still play starcraft regularly over a lan against mates. I'd say that 70% of the online games I played were ruined by people doing cheating early rushes just to improve their win stats. Something like 8 zerglings and 4 drones could annihilate any base before it got started.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'd like to throw Nexus: The Jupiter Incident into the hat at this time. Best RTS I've played in 3 eons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Starcraft is the best RTS ever. No contest. It's a crime that we've had to wait this long for news of a sequel.

The Homeworld series of games were also amazing, but they are different genres, and are hard to compare. Both had excellent single player campaigns, but Starcraft was unbeatable when it came to multiplayer. As Retro stated, we still frequently have 2v2's or 3v3's on our lan. Now that we've mentioned it, when will we have our next lan?

p.s. it's a shame you never played Homeworld Ste :p

You're right about hardcore elite but I still play starcraft regularly over a lan against mates. I'd say that 70% of the online games I played were ruined by people doing cheating early rushes just to improve their win stats. Something like 8 zerglings and 4 drones could annihilate any base before it got started.

Yeah that used to really piss me off. You would say 15 min no rush and 2 mins in the ****er is in your base with a dozen zerglings and it's a loss. 9/10 of my losses were from asshats doing that. Blizzard should implement some sort of system where you can set the build up period when creating a game and if you attack before that time you lose.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I've seen players with Zergling pets in World of Warcraft. Possibly due to wacky Blizzard humour or maybe they just happened to design them.

Of course, with the success of WoW, there's the possibilty of the World of Starcraft. hur hur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

amp wrote:
    I've seen players with Zergling pets in World of Warcraft. Possibly due to wacky Blizzard humour or maybe they just happened to design them.

Of course, with the success of WoW, there's the possibilty of the World of Starcraft. hur hur

World of Starcraft...... ide buy it :)

p.s. it's a shame you never played Homeworld Ste

That game and the sequel are high on my to play list of PC games for whenever my mother finishes her masters and I can finally have my pc to myself. Only played a small bit and watched you play a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

BloodBath wrote:
    SC2 is rumourd to have 5 races. Human, zerg, protoss and 2 new ones.

Near the the end of brood there was a mission where you had to hold a base for 30 mins. it was really tough, but it opened a hidden level in which Zeratul and a group of dark templar stumble across a stasis cell containing a protoss/zerg hybrid. The Xel Naga created both races from their own psionic dowackeys. I'm betting that the hybrid will be the return of the lost ancient race to SC.

Really looking foreward to a return to the SC storyline, be it SC2 or SCghost. there's too many cool characters. Jimmy Raynor, Kerrigen, Zeratul, Aldarus, Tassidar (dead, but he could show up in a dragoon).

One of the hardest parts in Broodwar was where you had kill General Duke and Pheonix.

about SC being elite, blizzard would most likely implement their sucessful level matching system from WC3. being matched up with players within 2-3 levels of you means you always have a fighting chance.

dogboy, well up for a compsoc reunion, I never won but it was too much fun all the same :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Sorry to rain on people's parade but I read in PC Gamer that their new project is probably Diablo III. Hope not, as I never much liked Diablo. Starcraft, on the other hand....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

hope not, diablo's not my cuppa tea, it's like a cuppa with a load of milk and sugar in it, yuch!

Advertisement