Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chalets - Hype or Substance?

Options
  • 15-03-2005 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Personally I have to think there's a lot of hype surrounding this lot, given that they basically do a B-52s impression and that's about it. Something tells me one of their paters/maters works for the Irish Times Magazine judging by the constant fawning coverage they get.

Are the Chalets the next great thing, or hyped rubbish? 22 votes

The Chalets are a talented bunch, good luck to them
    0% 0 votes
    They're ok, in a kind of derivative B-52s stylee
    63% 14 votes
    They're not that bad, but obviously over-hyped
    13% 3 votes
    They're a gang of nerds and fat chicks with no talent but a good agent
    22% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Tbh I've never really heard any hype about them. I did see them once though, and I quite liked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

They actually put on a really good show.. Speaking if hype. The band Supporting them, The Subways got Zane Lowe's Band of the year for 2005. So the hype seems to flock together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

Anyone got a link to a download?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

The 2 girls are great looking, the music is average but fairly catchy and the 2 girls are great looking ;) U gotta like them!

ThatBloke wrote:
    Anyone got a link to a download?

sorry posted a link to a song, doesn't seem to be working though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

A lot of hype? Yes
    Original? Probably not
    Substance? Yeah maybe a little

But I still think they're great. Very fun to watch and catchy as hell. And they look very, very well, especially for an Irish band.

The girls are just lovely: http://www.thechalets.com/images/handinair.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

The girls are just lovely

You guys need to get out more :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

The Chalets = Overblown Hype
    Sajan wrote:
    They actually put on a really good show.. Speaking if hype. The band Supporting them, The Subways got Zane Lowe's Band of the year for 2005. So the hype seems to flock together.

Now the Subways are f**king genuine deserved hype! My Man! Zane is always right Man! Anyone else absolutely love 'Oh Yeah'? It reminds me of The Ramones. Pure f**kin' rock n' roll energy. The girl bassist in them also pretty fine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Nice One ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

"I know you love me but you're f_cking crazy" x infinity.

Swearwords are so cool.

Dire.

Yeah just listened to it now, it's not great. A bit derivative.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've seen them live 3 times now in Galway. They're pretty entertaining and probably warrant the bit of hype they're getting now mainly because they sound so different to all the Glennabes and tousled troubadours that are coming off the assembly line in Whelans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

The Chalets = Overblown Hype

Now the Subways are f**king genuine deserved hype! My Man! Zane is always right Man! Anyone else absolutely love 'Oh Yeah'? It reminds me of The Ramones. Pure f**kin' rock n' roll energy. The girl bassist in them also pretty fine! :)

They're playing in Cork in a few weeks, although I think they're all hype. I think they're signed to Warner already, "Oh Yeah" is ok, but I can't see them making a good album.

That song "wit de swearin" is just embarrassing, and as far as I can make out is the chicks songwriting contribution.

They're signed to Setanta.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

"That song "wit de swearin" is just embarrassing, and as far as I can make out is the chicks songwriting contribution."

neither of the girlies wrote that bit... so you don't really make out much - do you???

chalets are good if you're not too cool enough to like pop music, comparisons with the b52s are obvious and misaligned, look at me while i drop an old obscure-ish band name to draw a weak comparison.

the deserve the very little hype they're recieving and much more... there are way too many bands doing the same thing - viva the difference!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

wheres the "Who the hell are the Chalets??" option

OK, here's another comparison that I hope isn't too obvious for you: Bis

As for being too cool to like pop music, I quite like Rachel Stevens/Destiny's Child etc which are pop music, I'm not that keen on a bunch of NCAD dropouts doing ironic pop which is what the chalets are.

As for hype, getting mentioned practically every week in the Irish Times Mag reeks a little of 'daddy works here' syndrome.

Time will tell, but just because they're mildy more interesting than the usual sh1te thats churned out of the Irish music scene doesn't make them good, per se.
    neither of the girlies wrote that bit... so you don't really make out much - do you???

You're either a) in the band b) one of their cronies or c) a rabid fan if you know that, in which case your opinions are going to be slightly partisan, no?

EDIT/ Oh look, it's category " b) one of their cronies" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127755

"I'm not that keen on a bunch of NCAD dropouts doing ironic pop which is what the chalets are.

As for hype, getting mentioned practically every week in the Irish Times Mag reeks a little of 'daddy works here' syndrome."

Ah right i get it, its not their music you have a problem with, its where they went to college?(obviously they leardned their ironic pop there[did you make that up its pathetic]) and the paper of your choice writing about them and so far i've only seen one article on them in the ticket.

as for knowing who wrote the lyrics - if you get their cd and read lyrics by... and don't see a girls name its kinda obvious. i didn't know where they went to college however... but you did. get off their case you runofthemill claptrap (yes i used claptrap) begrudging wannabe

1) Actually I do have a problem with their music as its derivative and uninspiring
    2) I don't know where they went to college but they look like art students ergo NCAD assumption. Given that they refer to themselves as art-rock there is also a certain logic to my statements, so don't go off the deep end there sonny
    3) 1 article in the Ticket eh? Then even more evidence of a Hype Campaign, as you'd find I was talking about the Irish Times Magazine which comes out on a saturday and which was/is over-run with 'The Chalets - Absolutely Amazing' coverage.
    4) I have the cd kicking around somewhere, excuse me for not staring lovingly at the liner notes. I thought it was sh1t. EDIT/ Just looked at the CD and it says 'all songs written and performed by the chalets'. Maybe you have a special buddies-only version.
    5) The B-52s are not an 'old obscure-ish' band to anyone over 20 / anyone who has any appreciation of music.
    6) I don't begrduge their run of the mill claptrap at all, they're welcome to it (good descriptive term for their oeuvre by the way).
    7) Give my love to your pals in the Warlords of Pez, The Chalets and any other diabolical student joke bands you might know. You are Nathan Barley.

• Advertisement

rrrraaaarrrr kitty down boy, just because you may not like what the look like/sound like and start off a little opinion poll to brighten up your life, doesn't mean i won't disagree with what you say, and as for not begruding them- whats the point of the poll? (oh to see if other people dislike them as much as i do? and have an old prattle about them)-Yawn

go back and give out about the thrills some more, you're like the stereotypical stylish kids too boring to even be nathan barley more like alan titchmarsh...

i will admit you got me on the lyrics thing (number 4 in your pedantic list) just wanted to know if you were making wild accusations or if you'd listened to the cd. an

This thread has gone proper Kevin Keegan yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

eoinf wrote:

I hope to god that that was a B-side song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

hmmm well i wouldnt want Magpie to be making incorrect assumptions. so to put a little of the record straight....2 of the boys (Chris and Enda) went to college in Dun Laoighre but i dont know about the girls.
    oh and they werent "drop-outs" either. :rolleyes:

have to admit that while i wouldnt be a fan of the music, Magpie's posts are definitely painting him/her as a begrudging git, as has been pointed out.
    the mere fact that one of the options calls the guys "nerds" and the girls "fat" is ridiculous.

if you dont like the music......dont listen to it.

personally i prefer Warlords of Pez to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

warlords of pez now there is a band "there song the full irish " and "Utv" are a must for any music collection. needless to say their song about derek davis is a timeless classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

eoinf wrote:
    warlords of pez now there is a band "there song the full irish " and "Utv" are a must for any music collection. needless to say their song about derek davis is a timeless classic

heheh yep.

were both Enda and Chris in Pez or just Chris?? cant remember. must ask my sister.

the Pez lads are great. felt so sorry for Mark because he was off travelling when they were supporting Tenacious D.

derek davis in a poundshop...

The Chalets have had one of their songs selected to feature on the CD soundtrack to the new Owen Williams rom-com film “The Wedding Crashers”.

- Good for them!

the mere fact that one of the options calls the guys "nerds" and the girls "fat" is ridiculous

http://www.thechalets.com/images/chalets_balmy.jpg

Next time I'll just say 'Atari Jaguar'.

Jonatton Yeah?

• Advertisement

last word freak

Advertisement