Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuxored XBOX

• 15-03-2005 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭

i hav a version 1.0 xbox but i dunno exactly which modchip it is because the xbox was a present and was pre-chipped.

i have a few problems im loooking for help with. firstly, when i play games, either off the hard drive or a disk (original & backup) after a few minutes it will either get a dirty disc message (ive tried cleaning the lense) or the game will continue, for example, with my dance mat game, without sound but the video continues as normal, then a few minutes later, the music might continue from where it stopped and be way behind. with fifa soccer, if it goes out for a corner kick, the players seem to move around randomly or seem to be stuck in a loop. the commentary stops and i cant resume the game after the ball goes out of play but it doesnt hang, the players move but the controller does nothing.

another thing that happens is if i try to load the M$ dash from the evox (+3921) menu, ill get that green customer service menu with a number (21?) on top left.

also, sometimes when i boot up, the eject button flashes, reboots once then goes to the customer service screen again with sometimes different error codes (7/13/14?). i looked up wat the codes mean on the tutorial on xbox-scene but it still doesnt explain why im getting these. i had the xbox in the car and im thinkin could the bumpy road have loosened the modchip? is that possible or can anyone help me at all? any feedback is appreciated. thanx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sounds like a botch chip job as well.

Moral of the story - Never chip your box :D:D:p :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

oh ye by the way, is it ok to post bout chipped xboxes in here? forgot to check! :rolleyes:

i need to get them screwdrivers that u need to open the xbox to check if its been dislodged. anyone know where i can get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

heya,

it sounds like either of 3 things.

worst being the box has been too hot for too long and the components are suffering - mainly the disk controller. how has the xbox been stored/used?

you're hard drive is on it's last legs - cos it's modded you can do a straight swap for another - i've got a few spares at home if you want to try one

the chip is knackered/dislodged - if it's soldered in then it probably needs resoldering. if it's a pogo pin/solderless install then it'd need to re aligned.

the error 21 is most definately not a good one - it basically means that the're a hardware error - i'd go for the hard drive but that's just my guess

pm me if you want me to take a look at it

Nige

hey thanx for the help. might take you up on that offer, elmer.

bit of an update. last night i copied over the files i had on a bootable disc. basically the disc just had the default xbe, a few skins that audio folder and some other xbe (xboxdash and original dash if memory serves from last night :rolleyes:). i copied it over and it seemed to work a bit better. then it got fuxored again so i retried copyin the files over (by the way, when i was copyin over the files i was runnin off the bootable disk) but half way thru, the xbox crashed so i think the c: drive was wiped. now every time i boot up i get error 7 (hdd timeout, i think?). it wont even boot the bootable cd! any ideas?

/Edit:
    my bios is as follows (dunno what it means though ;)):

BIOS ON CHIP:
    Evox M7 (EjectFix)

BIOS IN MEMORY:
    Evox M7 (EjectFix)

CHIP TYPE:
    LPC based (SST 49LF020)

ok now im really confused. i left it unplugged for the night. then went back to it a half hour ago and it booted fine onto the CD, i FTP'd onto it and saw one of the fonts was corrupt so i fixed it and it boots fine. however, there is still that clicking noise coming from the xbox. i dont know wat its coming from. if its the hard drive then i imagine there is something wrong wit the hard drive, if its the DVDROM then its obviously a problem there. how can u tell which its comin from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If its on the left side of the Xbox it will be the DVD, the right will be the HDD or if its coming out the back it may be the fan.

i wouldn't advise using the xbox any more - it definately sounds like a hard drive problem but it could be the fan too. either your drive will die fully soon or if it's the fan then the motherboard could die

your chip would have been better off with an x2 bios - i was never a massive fan of the evox bioses until m8 but that's not going to cause a problem like this

is there alot of heat coming out of the xbox? and what temperature does the motherboard say in the evox settings after it's been on for a while.

one last thing - has it ever turn on/off with the leds being orange?

almost sure its hard drive. one boot up, when i press the on button, it always clicks once. i opened it up and theres no loose ide cables at all. i upgraded to evox 3935 which seemed to help a lot. though if i load any of the save games i had before in evox 3921, i still get a bit of trouble.

by the way, Temps:
    mb 41.0
    cpu 50.8
    hdd 33.0

ps hypothetically, if the ppl from evox stopped hosting Evox M8 where they usually do, wat would be the standard time before anyone knew if it were back up? hypothetically and cryptically speaking! ;)

with temperatures like that it's got to just be the hard disk - i wouldn't advise flashing a chip whilst having a dodgy hd - pm me if you want a standard replacement - otherwise your best bet is a prep disk and a big fat hd :)

seriously though - stop using it - you'll end up having a totally dead hd and no way of getting those saves back

not sure about your last hypothetical question

Nige

Advertisement