Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working St paddys day

• 15-03-2005 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Hi im just wondering why isnt St Paddys day double time? I have to work from 2-6 on regular pay, was told i had to come in that day as im the only one in my department as theres normally 4. Im 16.
    Am raging about having to work as ive plans made.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 darragh90

paddys day is a public holiday, and its the law that you get either double time or an extra days holidays. the only problem is that if your the only one getting pissed on its very hard to do anything about it, unless you join a union. but teenagers arn't into rebelling these days ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In respect of each public holiday, an employee is entitled to: -
    (i) a paid day off on the holiday, or
    (ii) a paid day off within a month, or
    (iii) an extra day’s annual leave, or
    (iv) an extra days pay

as the employer may decide.

If the public holiday falls on a day on which the employee normally works, then the employee is entitled to either a paid day off, an additional day’s pay, a paid day off within a month of the day, or an additional day of paid annual leave for the public holiday.

If the public holiday falls on a day on which the employee does not normally work, then the employee is entitled to 1/5 of his/her normal weekly wage for the day, which rate of pay is paid if the employee receives options (i) (ii) or (iv), above, as may be decided by the employer.

If the employee is asked to work on the public holiday, then he/she is entitled to either an additional day’s pay for the day, or a paid day off within a month of the day, or an additional day of paid annual leave.

There is no service requirement in respect of public holidays for whole-time
    employees. Other categories of employees (part-time) qualify for public holiday entitlement provided they have worked at least 40 hours during the 5 weeks ending on the day before a public holiday.

From here: http://www.entemp.ie/publications/employment/2003/guidetolabourlaw.pdf

So, according to the government's website you'll be entitled to 1/5th of your average weekly pay on top of your paycheck. If your boss questions this, print off the pdf I've linked to and he/she'll have a hard time worming their way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

No need to join a union. Information regarding annual leave and your employment rights in Ireland is available from:

Employment Rights Unit,
    Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment,
    Room G05,
    Davitt House,
    65a Adelaide Road,
    Dublin 2.
    Tel: (01) 631 31 31
    Fax: (01) 631 3329
    E-mail: erinfo@entemp.ie
    Opening hours: 9.30 am - 5.00 pm (including lunchtime)

A good link detailing your rights as a worker is: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/holidays_and_leave/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

you think you have it bad? I have to work in a bar! I have to listen to all the drunken gobsh!tes singin' and watch their tom-foolery *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Marts wrote:
    you think you have it bad? I have to work in a bar! I have to listen to all the drunken gobsh!tes singin' and watch their tom-foolery *shudders*
    Now thats my kinda job!! Unfortunatly im not old enough yet....
    I have to listen to Have you this in a b igger size? Is that all you have?? blah blah blah, makes me wana scream!
    Ps.... i dont do rebelious!! :p

yeh right....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

<INSERT SLEEPY'S POST HERE>

Essentially what that means, is that if you have worked at least 40 hours in the last 5 weeks, then you are entitled to receive 20% of your average weekly pay on top of what you'll get for the 2-6. Your employer may instead choose to give you an extra day's leave instead of pay. You are not entitled to have Patrick's Day off, or receive double time for your day's work.

I work (in theroy) 12.25 hours per week.
    Pay is Sh!t there anyway 4.90 ph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Ugh..4.21 an hour.

That's what I was paid when I was 16 and it was only a SuperValu!
    ..That was four years ago. Damn I must be getting old.

what would you do if the employer refuses to pay double time? there are more dog wardens than labour inspectors. and the country is full of managers who would never dream of giving you what your legally entitled to

darragh90 wrote:
    what would you do if the employer refuses to pay double time?
    The employer's not obliged to pay him double time.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    The employer's not obliged to pay him double time.

12.5 hours a week makes up over 40 hours in the last 5 weeks, the minimum necessary for a part time worker to be entitled for double time, or time in lieu or a day off

seamus wrote:
    pay him .
    im a her

darragh90 wrote:
    12.5 hours a week makes up over 40 hours in the last 5 weeks, the minimum necessary for a part time worker to be entitled for double time, or time in lieu or a day off
    It's not double time. She's entitled to be paid for the bank holiday, and also paid normal time for the work she does on the day. Not double time, it's a subtle difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ugh..4.21 an hour.

That's what I was paid when I was 16 and it was only a SuperValu!
    ..That was four years ago. Damn I must be getting old.

HA £3.05 an hour in 1997, I win.

how much is that in yoyo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stekelly wrote:
    HA £3.05 an hour in 1997, I win.
    Nope. I win. £2 an hour, 1998. Was only 16 @ the time,. tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the_syco wrote:
    I was only 16 aswell. Jesus you were getting raped.

the_syco wrote:
    CHRIST!!!!
    Was it worth your while even going in?
    And did you actually work??
    I wouldnt "work" for that id just go i :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madmorphy

I win !. £1.87.5 an hour in 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I'm afraid I claim this particular prize! £1.25 an hour in 93/94 (don't remember which).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Ahem!.....That prize is mine! £3.50 for 4 hrs work a week in 1997/8. so that works out at about 87.5p an hour. How cr*p is that!

scudster wrote:
    Ahem!.....That prize is mine! £3.50 for 4 hrs work a week in 1997/8. so that works out at about 87.5p an hour. How cr*p is that!
    sh!t thats awful!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

scudster wrote:

you could find that much on an average street. im sure i'd manage to get 87.5p on the ground if i looked hard enough for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kaboogie

:mad: I worked from 10pm on 16th until 0600 on the 17th. This was for normal time, and we have tonight (17th off work) because that is the Bank Holiday. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

I used work in a Jeri Psych for £99 per week at 12hr per day, day on day of, worked out at about 60hrs per week about 1.65 per hour fos getting shat on, hit, etc.

Rem one time comning home and the family decided to have a get together, had dinner (which I missed) and all stayed to watch a vid, I came in from work after the 12 hrs (which was why I missed dinner), watched the first 10 mins of the movie then stormed off to my room, why? they got out "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest" as an enjoyable family movie. forgetting where I as all day!!

Ye young'uns have it handy, time in the eighties we were lucky to have a job, I had to Lick road clean, and when i came home our dad would........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tut. I was on 1.83 in Quinnsworth in 1997..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

You know what really sucks about working on Paddy's Day? Getting up for a bus at 7:15 that'll get you into work for 9, and standing at the busstop until the realisation hits you that while the Dart put on EXTRA services for the day, Dublin Bus in their wisdom decide to treat it like a Sunday and take most of the day off!!! :mad: Now im stuck at home until a bus at 9:45, and i won't get into work until 11!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Well i'm stuck here until the compulsary hours are over and then it's out for a night of partying. Made sure I have tomorrow off to recover too although it's likely i'll be going home when others are going to work in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 vivirl

How about £1.50 on a saturday and £1.80 an hour on a sunday, working 10 hours a day at the weekend! I was 16 - in 1996

Still bitter about it! Wont go in to the resturant now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement