Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squad announced (Israel & China)

• 15-03-2005 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Given (Newcastle United), Kenny (Sheffield United), Murphy (Walsall)

Carr (Newcastle United), Finnan (Liverpool), Maybury (Leicester City), O’Shea (Manchester United), Breen (Sunderland), Dunne (Manchester City), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O’Brien (Newcastle United), Doherty (Norwich City).

Duff (Chelsea), Reid (Tottenham Hotspur), Miller (Manchester United), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Kilbane (Everton), Holland (Charlton Athletic), Quinn (Sheffield United), Kavanagh (Wigan Athletic)

Morrison (Birmingham City), Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Elliott (Sunderland).

Macken, Barrett, Lee all dropped from previous squad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can't see The Boy Roy playing against China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hard to belive Miller (not playing regularly) or Kavanagh (not playing in the top flight) get in ahead of the fit again Stephen Reid!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    I doubt many players who play against Israel will play against China since its only 3 days later.
    Hard to belive Miller (not playing regularly) or Kavanagh (not playing in the top flight) get in ahead of the fit again Stephen Reid!
    Kavanagh is a central midfielder Reid would be in the squad as a right winger if anything. Even so, Kav is much better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

did anyone see maybury playin for leicester at the weekend in the FA cup? i thought he played v well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

eirebhoy wrote:
    Kavanagh is a central midfielder Reid would be in the squad as a right winger if anything. Even so, Kav is much better than him.

in all fairness to steven reid.. he is a few (4/5?) games back from injury.

He has been playing well for Blackburn... well enough to play in central midfield.

I would rather see him play in a more central role for ireland... he could be quite creative in that role... rather than ship him out the wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Can't believe McGeady did not get a look in. He has really well this reason so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Either can ,I but I have no complaints. It gives a chance for someones else to come in and do a job for us. Roy wont be playing forever and Kerr needs to keep experimenting.

I wonder will he give 4-3-3 another lash. I know I keep saying this but 4-4-2 is dead.

Can't believe McGeady did not get a look in. He has really well this reason so far
    Its important that the U-21's get a decent chance of qualifying and McGeady could be the difference between them winning and losing in Israel, especially now that they have no Elliott. If he was 22 he'd be in the senior squad. Reid isn't even certaint to start and McGeady is behind him and others atm.

McGeady will no doubt be in every other senior squad from here on in tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Still not a sniff for Rory Delap. But a strong squad overall. While I dont think Kerr will break up the O'Brien Cunningham partnership, Dunne must be banging hard on the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well if Ronaldo can get in with Portugal...Mcgeady will surely be thinking he can play in the Irish senior team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i heard theres a patrick kohler in the under 21s from dortmund. anyone know anything of this player? ive heard he is highly rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

His name is Patrick Kohlmann. Dortmund don't have anything about him on their site. Doesn't seem to be much on him on Google either.

Edit: Actually, they have a picture of him here. He is listed as German but he is in Don Given's U-21 squad, and has been a few times before from what I have heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

cheesedude wrote:
    Well if Ronaldo can get in with Portugal...Mcgeady will surely be thinking he can play in the Irish senior team.

ronaldo can deliver on the big stage ie international, premiership, champs league. mc geady is crippled with celtic and the league he's in, much like miller was only miller delivered when all eyes were watching.

smemon wrote:
    ronaldo can deliver on the big stage ie international, premiership, champs league. mc geady is crippled with celtic and the league he's in, much like miller was only miller delivered when all eyes were watching.

Here we go again, smemon - the Celtic fan - dissing a Celtic player. McGeady will be a star for Celtic and the Republic.

Not to mention the fact that Miller was injured for the majority of his time with Celtic so he was not playing when all eyes were not watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ya i have to say im disappointed not to see McGeady in thier....granted the U-21s need him, but it's done the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo no harm to get first team international action at his age. I hope he can break into the first team this season...and hopefully as a striker..not a winger. Good to see Elliot in their also. I hope he gets a full 90 against China. It's the type of game he could use to adjust to international football, make an impact, get a goal or two, and build his confidence. I don't want to see O'Brien dropped at any point...maybe give Dunne/O'Brien a run against China. No Doherty please. Millert get a full 90 against China also. Hopefully we'll see Reid and especially Dealp in future squads. Any more information on the Dortmund U21 player?

U21's exist for a reason. Players dont usualy start full internationals until they are over 21. Mc Geady isnt playing at his best and its never a good idea to rush players at that age. he has loads of time and were not stuck on his position. Elliott is different case, we need more strength in depth there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Delap should be in there.

He is the best and most consistant Irish midfielder not called "Roy Maurice Keane". No idea why Quinn is there.
    Otherwise strong squad.

The first choice 11 should all be Premiership players which is nice from our point of view.

We're coming on well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Still not a sniff for Rory Delap. But a strong squad overall. While I dont think Kerr will break up the O'Brien Cunningham partnership, Dunne must be banging hard on the door.

i think its a bit of a disgrace he wont break the partnership up. Obrien isnt a a first team memeber of newcastle, well he is now due to brambles injury, but he still would of been picked either way.

Dunne has gotten MOM awards against united,chelsea and i think Arsenal.

I dont agree with reverse players getting games over regualr first team players. Miller shouldnt be in the squad either. Delap and Reid should be given a chance.

I'm going to be repeating pretty much every point I've made on Foot.ie.
    Still not a sniff for Rory Delap. But a strong squad overall.
    Even with Prutton suspended Delap can only get a game for a struggling Southampton team at right back. I've been on Southampton forum's and they don't rate him in the least. JoeSoap is a Soton fan, ask his view. Anyway, do we really want Keane, Holland, Kavanagh and Delap all fighting it out for 1 position, the holding role?

The only player that I'd have in is Stephen Reid (he's certainly not playing international standard football atm bar one match but either is Quinn) for Quinn but Kerr has shown us since he has taken over that the ball is in the court of the players in the previous squads. If you missed out on previous squads through injury or whatever you have to prove yourself to be good enough to get into the team. Obviously there are plenty of exceptions to that but its mainly fringe players who won't really be making a difference. TBF, the likes of Quinn and Barrett got it the easy way getting into a huge squad when we were missing 14 players.
    i heard theres a patrick kohler in the under 21s from dortmund. anyone know anything of this player? ive heard he is highly rated.
    As Serbian said, is Patrick Kohlmann. He started for Dortmund against Kaiserklautern in Nvermber but went off injured before half time and hasn't played since. He's a full back (left I think). Missed a few U-21 squads because of injury.
    DubGuy22 wrote:
    Ya i have to say im disappointed not to see McGeady in thier....granted the U-21s need him, but it's done the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo no harm to get first team international action at his age.
    McGeady would be lucky to make Kerr's bench so I don't think he should be in the squad. I must be the only person that wants to see the U-21's do well. If they qualify all matches will be on TV and I'll be treating them like I do a major club game and building myself up for them. not to mention the experience, etc the players will get from being in an international tournament. McGeady could be the difference between them qualifying and failing to qualify. OK, if we had no Andy Reid he would be in the senior squad but its more important that he starts for the U-21's than it is that he watches the seniors from the bench/stands.

Forgot to mention.
    There's no question about it, if O'Brien is fit and ready he'll partner Cunningham. O'Brien and Cunningham have started together in the following matches:
    Brazil
    Romania
    Holland
    Cyprus
    Switzerland
    France
    Faroe Islands
    Portugal

They have conceded just 1 goal in those 690 minutes together.

from today's independent:
    McGeady will be in Israel with the U21s, Kerr explained that he is trying to bring him on gradually. "We may take him back for the game with China but it does not make sense for him to come as part of the senior team if I have no intention of using him in the match. I would not use him away from home in a match at this stage in his development."
    If he wasn't eligible for the U-21's he'd be in the senior squad, I hope thats settled. :) lets hope he starts against China.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

WRG to S.Reid, Delap etc Kerr seems to have decided on a set panel of 27 or so that'll see him thru to the end of the WC qualifers and if you hadn't made the list by last September then it's case of 'better luck next time' no matter what your form currently is.

Personally I think making a 'closed shop' is a good policy that will create stability amongst the squad over the next 18 months.

Delap et al are on "stand by" , Kerr hasnt forgot about them, but we want the strongest team for israel. There may well be injuries and call ups for the china match.

I can certainly see the benefit of McGeady playing the U-21 match. He had an excellent game tonight and created the 1st goal. Setanta man of the match as well :)

I've never seen McGeady perform so well in 2 consecutive matches like he did against Dunfermline and Calley. He was superb tonight.

Here's his pass for Bellamy's goal tonight:
    http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1XENDG1OFT0F91L8VS1PAC2841

and here's his goal against Dunfermline:
    http://members.boards.ie/eirebhoy/mcgeady_dunf.avi

BTW, lets leave the selection policy up to Kerr as long as we're playing well and/or winning. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Even with Prutton suspended Delap can only get a game for a struggling Southampton team at right back. I've been on Southampton forum's and they don't rate him in the least. JoeSoap is a Soton fan, ask his view. Anyway, do we really want Keane, Holland, Kavanagh and Delap all fighting it out for 1 position, the holding role?
    Delap has started 10+ games more this season than any other Southampton player apart from Lundekvam, doesnt sound to me like a player that is "struggling to get a game".

And he wouldnt be competing for the "holding role", thats his quality, he can play in about four or five positions, his long throw aint to bad either.

Making it a "closed shop" as suggested is a woeful policy. Players should be playing based on merit, not on reputation.

Jivin - I'd agree with you 100% a couple of months ago but he is not rated in Soton and when he was playing in midfield was thought as the weak link by the fans. He can't get a game in midfield now and is playing at right back. Here's a few posts from Soton fans since February 27th:
    delap is exactly the sort of player a newly promoted club would go for. hes not very good no, but they just see cheap prem experience. if we go down, and maybe even if we stay up, i could see him at wigan, sunderland or ipswich.
    A sarcastic post in a player of the season thread, the one player he mentions:
    it must be delap
    Maybe we should change the tune from:

Rory Delap,
    Rory Delap,
    Ocassionally good,
    But usually crap...

To:

Rory Delap,
    Rory Delap,
    Surprisingly good,
    If he's Right Back...
    ^^^ that post basically somes up what I've been reading. They don't rate him in the least as a central midfielder but he seems to be playing well at right back.
    http://saintschat.com/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

We have our 2 right backs in the squad already.

BTW, I wouldn't say Kerr has made it a closed shop. Kerr see's these players more than us and the fact that we all rated Delap as a central midfielder proves that he knows more than us. But, what player outside of the 27 players (he called up for the Portugal game) would really make much of a difference?

Delap couldnt do left back by any chance? I dont know if he can play in that position but seein that the cynical saints fans rate him at right back.

I havent seen much of him since the goals he scored against Arsenal way back. I reckon he should be in the squad but Kerr has him on stand by. A few more friendlies against decent opposition would be a good chance to run some of these players out.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Jivin - I'd agree with you 100% a couple of months ago but he is not rated in Soton and when he was playing in midfield was thought as the weak link by the fans. He can't get a game in midfield now and is playing at right back. Here's a few posts from Soton fans since February 27th:
    But Eirebhoy fans are not always the most impartial of judges, particularly when judging their own players. The fact that he starts so many games indicates the manager rates him, and bear in mind Southampton have had three managers this year and he has been a regular under each of them.

Whether he is included in the squad as a right back, or right midfield, or central midfield, or even up front doesnt matter, he deserves a chance. I mean the lad cant even get in for friendlies.

Is Maybury not a right back also? Or is he a right footed left back? IMO Delap should be in there, and if someone had to make way it should be Maybury or Alan Quinn.

What do you think on the scenario at centre back? O'Brien or the in-form Dunne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think thats the ebst way of saying it, as it kidna implies that O'Brien is better than Dunne if he was in form, which has clearly shown to be untrue.
    Dunne played two stormers vs. Chelsea and ManUtd, somethign O'Brien can't do even at the top of his game

• Advertisement

Dunne is a better player but O'Brien has to start. his partnership record with Cunningham is as good, if not better, than any defensive record in the world atm.

Advertisement