Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comments on my site

Options
  • 02-02-2001 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭

Can ye tell me whats wrong with the design elements of my site. (and any other issues).

btw, I'm going to get rid of the intro page, because I don't need to warn people about getting flash, i'll just have a static 'alt' image. Plus i think it's annoying.

Your comments (good / bad) will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.syrinxdesign.com

Also where can i get info on style sheets, instead of using <font> tags.

Thanks
    -Ciaran

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

It's nice, I like it.

Yeah you're right those recommended/required things are unnecessary and don't look nice.
    I'd change those pop-up windows, they're quite annoying and many people take exception to pop-ups. Take the contents of these windows and when the links are clicked on, put them where you have the spiel on the first page ("Syrinx Design is... ...your step online"). It would work much better and give the site a more cohesive feel.

That scrolling 'welcome' thing doesn't look too bad (although that's the wrong font), but it doesn't really serve any purpose. You should either lose it completely or if you think there should be something on that side, put something useful in it like news, email address etc.

Overall though I think it's good, and looks much better than some similar sites I've seen.

For a great CSS and HTML reference, check out Index DOT Html and Index DOT Css at www.blooberry.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Thanks for your comments. I'll look into making the changes.

-Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Argh! Too much! - thats my initial reaction.

Id stop that scrolly thing on the side. Make it static. The flash at the top i would slow down. Im reminded of the 'blink' tag when i see it. I think it would be a lot more classy if it was slower. Maybe have the blue and yellow design in twice as long as the grey one as its nicer.
    The links at the side are a nice rollover however maybe a bit smaller would be better as they overpower the page and take away from the information you are trying to get across. Also you need to balance the page better. Bring down the side links till the top of them are alligned with the top of the main text. Or maybe put a grey? box behind the text that would do the same job.
    Your contact information at the bottom needs to be alligned with the outside edge of the links as well or maybe spread across the bottom of the page. As it is they break any sort of 'lines' you are creating with the text and links.
    I would also change the font in the scroller.
    I like your design, clean and simple and the colours work great, you just need to clean up the layout a bit.
    Hope that helps smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

How ironic is it that a site advertising web design is being put up for our critique? Not being funny or anything, but its a little, umm, ass about face if u get me smile.gif

But back to the site - Looks pretty class and loads fast. No need for the scrolling text on the left tho. Is that going to be replaced if the site is expanded (I assume it will be)?
    Nice work.

Yeah, that scroller has to go. I'm working on an entirely differant flash design at the moment, and the existing design ( minus flash ) will become the html version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

i like it...very hip

but i agree with the others about the 'welcome' bar and the flash at the top of the page - it looks like you've somthing to prove while the rest of the site exudes (is that a word ?) professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

get rid of the welcome scrolling thing.
    pointless.. i mean it takes three attempts to figure out what it says and by that stage its not really "welcome" .. more "how long you been lookin at this" or "goodbye"
    rest of it is quite neat ..
    half blue and yellow text seems completly ripped off from creative labs btw.. not meaning to criticise but its the first thing that sprung to mind.
    also no need to have contact information on the bottom of the main page if you have a contact link.
    good job all together tho smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

one last thing.. on your samples page or whatever.. get rid of the time it took you to do those two pages.. otherwise its like "im paying you this much for 2 days work???" and then they're wondering why you havent got it delievered after a week or two smile.gif
    just might clear up a bit of confusion.
    every contract should be independent and individually priced and based.

Thanks again. Some of this is just stuff i wouldn't have thought of. Thanks again.

-Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Most people have made all of the points aleady.

Just one or two small things. on the portfolio section, make the screenshots of the webpages link to the site aswell.

I liked the "(this page will open in a new window)" You could just put it in an alt tag on the image.

Regarding the tools used.
    Don't say you use Paint Shop Pro,
    also I'd suggest saying you use Flash, don't specify a version number, it will stop your page going out of date.

Also, people don't need to know your URL, they're already at your page. (:
    The bottom copyright stuff, seemed a bit much to me, maybe you could move the e-mail address to the contact page.

Overall though, I like it.
    (:

- Kevin

• Advertisement
Advertisement