Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which version of CAD?

• 15-03-2005 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Anyone know which version of CAD Waterford Institute of Technology use or which is the most commonly up-to-date version architects use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

AutoCad 2005 is the latest one as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

Thanks Despatch. Are they changed/updated every year?

Allegedly - I've been using Cad since release 12 on MS-DOS about 10 years ago. To be honest the changes from year to year recently have been mainly cosmetic so I just don't know how Audodesk can still justify the price they charge for it. Companies are being forced to upgrade because the abilty to save drawings in older autocad formats is gradually being removed with each new version. If you don't need to do 3D drawings I would recommend buying Autocad LT - it's much better value than the full version but you can't run autolisps or use 'plug-in' programs like Cads-RC etc.

So which one of these would I be better off with for college (Architectural Technology):

General Design Products:

AutoCAD 2005
    AutoCAD LT 2005
    Autodesk Viz 2005

Building Design Products:

Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2005
    Autodesk Building Systems 2005

I'd say Architectural Desktop is the one for you. Have you made enquiries to see if you qualify for an educational version - same program but it costs next to nothing. I think it just leaves a big stamp across your drawings "produced with an educational version" or something to that effect but it's ideal for learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Find whatever you started on the fastest. Started on 2000 and having small probs adjusting to 2004/05 just tiny things

Nukem wrote:
    Find whatever you started on the fastest. Started on 2000 and having small probs adjusting to 2004/05 just tiny things

Yeah, they love changing the plotting system don't they? It would be nice if they had an option where you could use the latest version but choose to use the plot dialogue box from the previous version for example.

Do you know which package the Waterford or Cork colleges are using?

Was in cork for a while and the Engineers used 2000 but some of the Marines used R4 and R3 ????????? They have moved now so i think its all 2000 - will ask a bud and let ya know.

Thanks Nukem. 2000, is that AutoCAD or Autodesk Architectural Desktop?

• Advertisement

Lexie wrote:
    Thanks Nukem. 2000, is that AutoCAD or Autodesk Architectural Desktop?
    Think your asking the wrong question here actually. What software dont they use! Its easy drop the engineering dep. a line and ask. Off the top of my head i could name 4 differnt types of CAD i have used in CIT from CNC based to CAD and solid moddeling they have loads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Despatch wrote:
    Companies are being forced to upgrade because the abilty to save drawings in older autocad formats is gradually being removed with each new version. If you don't need to do 3D drawings I would recommend buying Autocad LT
    There is also the upgrade price. A full copy of CAD costs say €3,500 but the upgrade from an existing version only costs say €600 and you only have to upgrade every second version so it's easier to keep paying every three years or so instead of risk loosing the license.
    Microsoft charge so much to upgrade(where possible) /software assure that it's nearly cheaper to buy a new copy in three years time..

this should allow older versions of full AutoCAD to open later drawings but if you go down this road you might miss the upgrade boat later on. http://www.dwggateway.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 axonware

AutoCad is now at version 2006. If anyone who's intesested in CAD wants to give it a lash you can request an AutoCad 2006 Lt 30 days trial cd from AxonWare.

FYI there are discounted student of AutoCad for engineering and design people in FT course in Ireland.

:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are there any opensource/freeware CAD apps that cut the mustard ?

Are there any opensource/freeware CAD apps that cut the mustard ?
    never thought of it? There is voloview for viewing cad and 3d drawings but opensource CAD????????

Nukem wrote:
    never thought of it? There is voloview for viewing cad and 3d drawings but opensource CAD????????
    the free version no longer reads the latest AutoCad drawings :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You can’t upgrade to AutoCAD 2006. You have to buy it fresh and pay a subscription to maintain the account and then every year you get an "upgrade". I think that’s how the operate now.

I've used several different versions of CAD.

MircoStation is popular in America and with many Architects over here (you get dodgy drawings with dodgy lines every where when you go from MircoStation to AutoCAD if it isn’t saved right).

There are also different types of AutoCAD for different discipline.

For example (not sure of exact names but you'll get the idea!)

AutoCAD 2006 Architetrical
    AutoCAD 2006 Map
    AutoCAD 2006 Road
    AutoCAD 2006 3d (I think)
    AutoCAD 2006 Lt

So it depends on what you need it for and there would only be small differences

Advertisement