Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALERT!!! IOFFL + Smart + eircom on Today FM 6.15pm - Send in comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Anyone want to do a transcript on what McRedmond said ?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

jaysis your man McRedmond can talk some amount of S***e...

Interesting comments though :

1) 8mb claim from Smart ?

2) Oisin Fanning stating that there were "15,000" signed up and not the 16,000 we all hear in the media ??? (if I heard correctly..)

3) Smart actually blaming Eircon for holding up the roll-out ... brilliant :)

4) Oisin Fanning stating that the first customers switched on today - any of you guys on boards ?? - please let us know...

There definitely was no way anybody was getting a word in edgeways with McRedmond in full flight ...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Pretty disappointed with the air time I got, but should get more next time.

Researcher apologised afterwards saying they were caught for time (I think they had allocated more time for the slot but other things ran over).

Still its a first for IOFFL :)

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

jaysis your man McRedmond can talk some amount of S***e...
    Film at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

jwt wrote:
    Pretty disappointed with the air time I got, but should get more next time.

Researcher apologised afterwards saying they were caught for time (I think they had allocated more time for the slot but other things ran over).

Still its a first for IOFFL :)

John

Sounded like it .. the counterfeit condoms story got a lot of time ... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

My understanding from the guy who's trying to get ADSL (in somewhere as remote as Rathmines no less) is that they're getting an enginer to check it out. Eircom didn't tell him "no can do". We'll see where it leads, though. I incidently know somebody else who got Eircom ADSL a year ago despite failing the pre-qual, but he's not the sort who would take no for an answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Well done John. I especially like the way your point about the number of failing lines brought forth that gem from McRedmond about scrapping the pre-qual and doing whatever they can if someone places a definite order. Does this include distance induced noise limits I wonder... I know I'll be quoting that verbatim when (if) I do place an order. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

More interestingly what if you don't want Eircom BB and you fail pre-qual? Will they help you out then?

Part II on Newstalk 106fm on Friday Morning. Same three panelists. More info as it comes to hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dero wrote:
    Well done John. I especially like the way your point about the number of failing lines brought forth that gem from McRedmond about scrapping the pre-qual and doing whatever they can if someone places a definite order. Does this include distance induced noise limits I wonder... I know I'll be quoting that verbatim when (if) I do place an order. :D

tell mcredmondd@eircom.ie :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kenped

Thanks for the links,, I'm just listning on it!!

GREAT that you have gone this far!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I really wonder what the Smart rep was talking about when he said that people within 4km of the exchange are getting 8Mbps. It doesn't sound like he's saying that's a product, or ever will be.

If I remember correctly, in the thread that Garfield started about a Smart rep willing to answer questions, when he was questioned on contention ratios there was some explanation that said if not all the bandwidth is being used, the users may obtain faster speeds through the redundant bandwidth. This may explain the claim that people are getting 8Mbps.

I'll have to look through the thread to see if I can find where that was mentioned. I could be simply imagining things :p

Edit: Never mind, it's all explained here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Serbian wrote:
    I really wonder what the Smart rep was talking about when he said that people within 4km of the exchange are getting 8Mbps. It doesn't sound like he's saying that's a product, or ever will be.

this is the exact quote

"our first customers are live today and within 4 km of the exchange are getting 8 mbit at the moment"

so he said it like it was the product avilable right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

tuxy wrote:
    so he said it like it was the product avilable right now

No, what he said is that the first people are live now and that they're currently getting 8mit/sec (if within 4km). The first people are still in the testing phase, so they haven't turned on any of their throttling systems. What he's saying is that with their current setup, they can offer up to 8mbit/sec at the flick of a switch.

No, what he said is that the first people are live now and that they're currently getting 8mit/sec (if within 4km). The first people are still in the testing phase, so they haven't turned on any of their throttling systems. What he's saying is that with their current setup, they can offer up to 8mbit/sec at the flick of a switch.

in the interview for download here he did'nt say that
    which interview were you listening to?
    listen to the interview from the show yesterday
    what i quoted is what he said word for word and was in responce to eircoms rep saying eircom will be offering 1,2,3 and 4 mbit products

We're back on TodayFM at 6pm tonight. JWT will once again be doing us proud.

good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

*sigh* just as well I have unlimited broadband then.. can ye stay off the air please?

(sarcasm alert: red)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Hope they read out emails that were sent in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Well done so far. I hope IOFFL get more time next time - poor JWT was cut a bit short there. I'd also like to see more emphasis on facts and figures. I don't think Eircom will stand up well to that because it will prevent them from talking the same old "WE'RE the ones bringing broadband" spin for a while.

Any ideas how many times McRedmond said that particular phrase?

• Advertisement

McRedmond is using the GWB style very successfully: keep it simple and repeat the same thing over and over.

I incidently enjoy good spin and McRedmond is excellent at promoting Eircom, there's no doubt about it. I suppose I'm less interested in the various coverage figures, but one thing that he was allowed to waffle his way out of was the LLU process where he instead changed the topic and talked about how Eircom is helping its wholesale customers, which is a completely different story. As far as I recall he never said anything about the Smart rep's complaint about Eircom dragging their heals when it comes to unbundling lines, so maybe that's an implicit acknowledgement of Eircom's behaviour in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Matt Cooper just said the discussion tonight will have NO company reps involved. So the public should be somewhat wiser by 7 pm.

windows media stream

Mike.

Trouble is when the companies aren't on, Matt will play Devil's Advocate and he's a really good advocate.

Tune in, email in comments to lastword@todayfm.com and txt in comments to 085 4100 102

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Excellent, just said they'd be doing comments. Should bring up some nice gripes.

Wow. John, that was really well done. I think Mr McRedmond will be jumping up and down over that. All the facts have been put out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Excellent indeed .. very well put across.. very well.. no hesitation, no techo mumble jumble, all questions answered, etc... well done indeed.

Rip is here (16Kbps MP3 ~1.4MB) (PM for lower bitrates).

Yes it was very good.

Who does a GSM house alarm by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

tuxy wrote:
    in the interview for download here he did'nt say that
    which interview were you listening to?
    listen to the interview from the show yesterday
    what i quoted is what he said word for word and was in responce to eircoms rep saying eircom will be offering 1,2,3 and 4 mbit products
    sorry - should have been more clear, was posting in a rush.

That's my interpretation of what he said. Notice that he didn't actually say that any products would be 8mbit/sec. He made 2 distinct statements. 1, that there are people using the service now and 2, that those people are currently getting up to 8mbit/sec.

damien.m wrote:
    Trouble is when the companies aren't on, Matt will play Devil's Advocate and he's a really good advocate.
    He's also very good at pretending not to know what broadband is-at least I hope he's pretending !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyone care to post a synopsis of JWT's appearance today? I downloaded the MP3 over the nasty dialup I'm sitting on at the moment, only to realise afterwards that I haven't got any effing speakers plugged in. How blond am I?

adam

Advertisement