Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALERT!!! IOFFL + Smart + eircom on Today FM 6.15pm - Send in comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Put it on to your iRiver. Podcast it !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

damien.m wrote:
    Put it on to your iRiver. Podcast it !
    iRiver's gone guy, sold it a couple weeks ago. Still trying to shift my SL55. *koff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

I called Eircom this evening and asked could I get BB, got the same answer as for the past 1.5 yrs - no BB, line fails straight away.
    So I asked about the change in prequalification as described on TodayFM last night by McRedmond and she laughed as if I was making up some story, but agreed to go and check with her supervisor, came back a couple of mins later all apologetic, saying "noone ever tells us anything".
    The upside so far is that the "Order Management Team" are going to re-recheck my line and will come back to me within a couple of weeks - at least a better prospect than until now (I hope).

Cheers
    Clanc

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Good stuff Clanc. Let us know how you get on. I e-mailed mr. McRedmod today for clarification (thanks to cgarvey for the address), but I'm not holding my breath for a reply. ;) Also, well done JWT on another excellent performance. You seemed to get a better deal time-wise this evening. The guy from ENN didn't seem quite so clued in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

job well done :) stick it to Eircom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Dero wrote:
    thanks to cgarvey for the address

Point of order, thank Sponge Bob, not me :)

.cg

Oops, sorry 'bout that. I must be going senile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Twould be rude of him, albeit typical of him, not to reply to the following 3 questions arising from his own statements on the show .

1. What relaxation of the line test was he referring to (its still 4.5km max AFAIK) and what does it mean in the wild .

2. Must it be escalated to a 'team' after showing a fail on the database and if so to whom and how does one find them ?

3. What 'help ' does Eircom provide to someone who wants ADSL and fails even after 1 and 2 , if it must be escalated to a 'team' after still showing a fail then to whom and how ?

It is fair to say that if an engineer would REALLY call and check their copper for their normal €50 fee, even if only to pass the line to where it enters the house, then many of the readers here would be happy to pay that c because a pass where it enters the house is a straight out answer for your €50 investment .

It means , SORT OUT your internal wiring in YOUR house and you WILL get ADSL .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I agree. McRedmond has left the gate wide open with that comment, it would be very sad if he wasn't forced to follow up with Eircom's actual policy in this regard. Are they all still scheduled to appear on the show on Friday? If so, we'd better get emailing, put some pressure on! Even if he's not on the show, they might be inclined to ask for a statement, and if they don't get one I guess that'll show McRedmond up for a liar, plain and simple.

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    I guess that'll show McRedmond up for a liar, plain and simple.

Thats a GIVEN .

Fact 1 . About 58-59% of the populaton live in towns with over 1500 persons. See the CSO website and look at census facts !
    Fact 2 . Eircom HAS DSL enabled them but nothing else besides (see fact 3)
    Fact 3 . Eircom has only DSL enabled 7 Gaeltacht villages in addition to those towns. Make that 10,000 people or 0.25% of the population. 0.25% is Insignificant .
    Fact 4. Broadband is only available to about 59% of the population
    Fact 5. Of that 59% only about 70% (Eircom submission to US Stock Exchange Regulator the SEC last Autumn ) actually pass .....or are deemed techncally suitable for BB and can get it in other words
    Fact 6 . 70% of 59% is 41.3% of the Population
    Fact 7 . Other figures suggest 80% can pass the test .
    Fact 8 . 80% of 59% is 47.2% of the Population
    Fact 9 .(composite facts 5 to 8) Between 41.3% and 47.2% of the Irish Population can get Broadband from Eircom . Their FWA and Sat packages are not BB because they are simply not available or too slow so its DSL or nuthin. .
    Fact 10. Less than 50% is Not 80% and Not 90% save where a journalist is fundamentally numerically dyslexic .....in which case it if forgiveable of course :( ...but wrong anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I could be wrong because it's not something I care all that much about, but I thought Eircom are now deploying ADSL in towns and villages with less than 1,500 people?

Deploy(ing) Yes.
    Deploy(ed) NO.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kenped

tuxy wrote:
    in the interview for download here he did'nt say that
    which interview were you listening to?
    listen to the interview from the show yesterday
    what i quoted is what he said word for word and was in responce to eircoms rep saying eircom will be offering 1,2,3 and 4 mbit products

I've read the press release conserning the products,, but I cant find one word about the out speed,, looks like it would be the same.!!! The biggest issue I have with the speed is the low out speed..

Can anyone confirm that they wont change it ?

no change was announced so no change will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kenped

Sponge Bob wrote:
    no change was announced so no change will happen

Should I go with Smart or Eircom ? :]

kenped wrote:
    Should I go with Smart or Eircom ? :]

You are in Norway as I understand it so I won't answer you if you don't mind awfully :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Fact 10. Less than 50% is Not 80% and Not 90% save where a journalist is fundamentally numerically dyslexic .....in which case it if forgiveable of course :( ...but wrong anyway.

The question is: Is it also forgivable when the numerically dyslexic person is sitting on one of the top chairs in ComReg?

ComReg Commissioner, Mike Byrne said: “The data rate which most customers expect is broadband which is a multiple of the minimum rate and eircom has publicly committed to achieving 90% DSL coverage by March 2006. (from the USO consultation paper here http://www.comreg.ie/publications/default.asp?ctype=5&nid=101970)

P.

Blaster99 wrote:
    My understanding from the guy who's trying to get ADSL (in somewhere as remote as Rathmines no less) is that they're getting an engineer to check it out. Eircom didn't tell him "no can do". We'll see where it leads, though. I incidently know somebody else who got Eircom ADSL a year ago despite failing the pre-qual, but he's not the sort who would take no for an answer...

Just to let you know, Eircom has now approved/fixed the line. So there seems to be a process in place for dealing with line failures.

Anyway this guy can document exactly what happened so we can relay it on to others ?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    1. What relaxation of the line test was he referring to (its still 4.5km max AFAIK) and what does it mean in the wild .

2. Must it be escalated to a 'team' after showing a fail on the database and if so to whom and how does one find them ?

3. What 'help ' does Eircom provide to someone who wants ADSL and fails even after 1 and 2 , if it must be escalated to a 'team' after still showing a fail then to whom and how ?

These questions are substantially outstanding although I am heartened somewhat to hear that Eircom are 'starting' to come out and fix lines .....something they have always refused to do in the past unless a nasty acccident involving a chainsaw mysteriously appeared to have recently occured .

A few cleaned up lines under pressure from national newspaper journalists is not what is required so is there any evidence of a systemic clean and repair policy as per the above quote ? . It could be Eircom being nice for a few weeks until Comreg give them the piss weak, logically unenforceable and realistically unenforced FIA regime that Eircom expect from their poodles in Comreg .

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i heard this a few weeks ago from an engineer about the pre qual change, i'm waiting for him to com e back from holidays to see if he can do anything cos my line keeps failing. i written to mcredmond on several occasions and he's never replied to me.

We've recently written to eircom about this matter and are waiting to hear back. If Mr. McRedmond didn't reply I'd suggest that you copy and paste all the emails you sent to him and ask Phil Nolan to have someone look into them. I'm positive you'll get an answer quickly enough after that. Phil's email is easy enough to find nowadays thanks to that rascal Muck passing it about. :)

Damien.

I spoke to yer man this morning and it went something like this: Checked availability thing on eircom's site, showed fail. Called up Broadband Sales, they said your line shows a fail, we'll get an engineer to check it out. He called back a few times over a couple of weeks, the engineer hadn't looked at it yet or hadn't solved it, Eircom to call back when fixed. He got no call but he checked the online availability checker again the other day and it now showed the line as "pass". Eircom never contacted him. He ordered BB from Esat/IOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

McRedmond was talking ****.
    I rang Eircom today to put an order in for broadband and was told by 2 reps that they were unaware of any change in policy.

I must have been on the phone at least 15 minutes remonstrating with one guy and he wouldn't even get a supervisor for me.

Basically said, he can't put the order through the computer because my line fail prevents him from doing so.

Maybe the new policy won't come into effect until the free trial offers end.

I wrote to David McRedmond about this after the TodayFM piece seeking clarification about the line tests (I'm specifically interested in the distance as I am 6.5km from exchange :( ). He didn't respond himself of course, but it always worth mailing these people as I did get this from an underling:
    David McRedmond has asked me to respond to your query on broadband with regards pre-qualification changes and the launch dates for ******. Currently eircom tests a number of parameters on a line with regard to quality and distance and based on the outcome of the test, then the customer may or may not be able to order broadband. From early March, eircom started to make changes to the parameters and the process which will allow a much larger number of lines to pass pre-qualification tests, with the aim to reduce the test parameters on copper lines down to a test for distance in line with the limitations of the technology. In your case, prior to ordering you will therefore have a definitive answer of whether you can avail of broadband as the only check will be whether the distance will be a problematic.

dmcredmond@eircom.ie for anyone that's interested. Can't hurt to try.

Could you mail your buddy back Dero and ask them what the practical "changes to the parameters" are in more detail and whether that will increase the old max of 4.5km to a new max ......that being precisely what ?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Distance hasnt changed.

I live at around the 4.3/4km away from the exchange mark.

I have an isdn line on a line that was installed about 8 years ago.

I rang up today to get the results of my manual line test and...... FAILED

So it was pure waffle then. McRedmond was banging on about something that does not exist and not for the first time.

Thanks Blitz

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

http://www.spunkythemonkey.com/en/viewthread.php?tid=19

only had to wait like 10 minutes today for sales Breif outlook of what i went through ^^

Excuse the language pls

• Advertisement

There seems to be conflicting experiences around wrt abolition of pre-qual. Some people are having success and some are not. I think approach and persistence as well as who you get on the other end are far more of a factor than they should be. If Eircom really have a new policy in place, their sales staff really should be told. I have e-mailed the guy in Eircom again asking for exact details of the new parameters and exact distance limit and how it is derived. I'll post details if I get any (assuming he doesn't read here and object to my posting). When I get the chance, I'll push till them till either I break or they break... as soon as they upgrade my exchange and assuming I can't get wireless from Clearwire or Irish Broadband first.

Advertisement