Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Routing Software

Options
  • 15-03-2005 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know of any free / shareware routing software for windows XP?
    Basicly, I am running some tests on a machine and I have 5 network cards in it. Windows doesn't seem to be able to handle the routing. It seems to be assigning the same metric to everything and even when I change them, it changes them back and gets more confused.
    I don't think XP was designed to be able to handle what I'm doing but I need to do this on a windows machine.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

XP home or pro ?

USE AS A ROUTER :

even windows 98 can route across multiple NIC's ;)
    it can also have several IP address per NIC
    95 has these settings too but blue screens if you try to enable routing with two NIC's installed

NT 4 used to have a Routing button in TCP/IP properties but now it's a reg hack

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/w2kprout.html

also look at the netsh command at the dos prompt

SETTING UP ROUTES

look up the -p and metric commands in ROUTE at the command prompt
    real pain in the neck

If you ever come across some source based routing for windows please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Xp Pro (I don't know about home) is able to be used as a multihomed router.

The Resourcekit help file....

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcc_tcp_qpzj.asp

You may need to look in the registry for...

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\IPEnableRouter

This enables ip routing for all installed network connections.

Set its value to 1. If it doesn't exist creat it as a Reg_Dword type.

osmethod

p.s. let us know how you get on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

Hi All,

I set IPEnableRouter to 1 but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I then set a persistance route in the routing table :
    route -p change 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 metric 2 if 4
    That made it work.

192.168.0.1 was already set as the default route in the routing table and I had edited the metrics before to make that route the lowest metric for 0.0.0.0 but it never worked until i set it as a persistant route.

Thanks for you help lads!

Advertisement