Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my dog has problems!

• 15-03-2005 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Can anyone comment on what I shoud do about my dog. I got him last year from a shelter, he is about 1.5 year old. He is a mixed breed, hunting/terrier x. He is really well behaved in our house but as soon as we bring him for a walk and let him off his lead he is a real problem. He becomes very territoral, chasing cars, barking at strangers and anyone who is not from our street. He really has it in for the postman or anyone who knocks at the door. I am at my wits end and not sure what to do. Can anyone suggest what I should do. I'm a concerned that one day he might actually bite someone, even though he is really good natured at home and with my kids.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It is very difficult to "diagnose" a dogs behaviour over the internet. One would really have to see you and the dog in interaction to get an idea what is going on.
    There could be several reasons for his behaviour. But at his age my first guess would be puberty and him trying to find his place in the order of things.
    To assist him there, he needs to know clearly that you are the "boss" and that you make the decisions, not him.
    My first advice would be to work on discipline. Make him "work" for everything (food, play, cuddles, attention) ..even if it is just by doing a "sit".
    Also I think you need to work on his recall, as he seems to do what he wants once he's off the lead. This is best done by starting from scratch again, starting with very small distances, increasing them as he gets better.

It might be a good idea to attend "doggy school" or get advice from a professional trainer. Contact the good people on the discussions board of www.irishanimals.ie (registration required). There are several professional trainers on that board and also information about training classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paularose

thanks for the tips!

Advertisement