Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael and the Tricolour

Options
  • 15-03-2005 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Last weekend at the Bi-Elections it was really weird to see Fine Gael supporters waving the tricolour especially as there were Sinn fein supporters in the same room.

Where Fine Gael taking the piss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Fine Gael are perfectly entitled to embrace our national flag. And while they did support the commonwealth before the 1948-51 Fine Gael led government proclaimed the republic, they have officially been called Fine Gael, the United Ireland Party for twenty years now. No one party has a monopoly on patriotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thread reopened to allow original poster to expand and clarify his opinion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Shocker: anyone can wave a 'tricolour'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madmorphy

The shinners started this down in kerry when martin ferris won,then contuined it with mary lou in the euro's.Absolute ****ing disgrace,who do they think they are :mad: :mad: .EVERYBODY in the republic owns the tricolour,you're not up the north now lads !.As far as i'm concerned the flag should hang outside every polling station and no one of any party should be allowed bring flags in,whats next a few rounds off into the roof !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

I agree intirely with the sentiments of madmorphy. The tricolour is the flag of all the Irish people and every party in this state. Attempts to hyjack it make a mockery of republican claims about reaching out to unionists by highlighting the reason for the orange stripe. I mean there's no point even considering unionists up north if parties for a united Ireland aren't deemed worthy enough to fly the flag.

But then we need to bare in mind the view SF apologists and their ilk take of the rest of us. We're a collection of traitors, free state bastárds, west brits, covert unionists, self-haters etc. So in their eyes none of us really deserves to wave the tricolour as our national flag.

Remember, we'll never equal the patriotism of the IRA. I mean their campaign for 'truth and justice' is more than anything we'll ever be able to do for the people of Ireland. Just think of the number of Irish people who've had their human dignity and right to justice protected by those glorious freedom fighters. Why, just ask Robert McCartney, Jean McConville, her ten children, Mark Robinson, Gareth O'Connor, the hostages held in the Northern Bank robbery and plenty others. These people will testify to the debt owed by Ireland to the Republican Movement.

Yes folks, hold onto your knee caps, the true patriots are in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Fair play to whoever in FG thought of it. Pulls the rug from under the Shinners feet in terms of symbolism. Next the other parties should start putting Irish on their posters/literature so they won't be able to claim a monopoly on that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Take it down from the Mast

Take it down from the mast, Irish traitors,
    It's the flag we republicans claim,
    It can never belong to free staters,
    For you've brought on it nothing but shame.

Why not leave it to those who are willing,
    To uphold it in war and in peace,
    To the men who intend to defend it,
    Until England's tyrannies cease.

You have murdered our brave Liam and Rory,
    You've slaughtered young Richard and Joe,
    Your hands with their blood are still gory,
    Fulfilling the work of the foe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't see why any party can't wave the flag, there any Irish party and more than entitled to embrace the tricolor.

BTW MT your talking bull when you say
    But then we need to bare in mind the view SF apologists and their ilk take of the rest of us. We're a collection of traitors, free state bastárds, west brits, covert unionists, self-haters etc. So in their eyes none of us really deserves to wave the tricolour as our national flag.

That kind of post just go's to show the kind of single minded ignorant view you have. Talk about a gerneralisation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I think he meant 'IRA apologists', to be fair.

Maybe while thinking of the letters Aye-Ror-Ay the letters Ess-Eff popped into his head and unconsiously out onto his keyboard. Strange, that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

irish1 wrote:
    That kind of post just go's to show the kind of single minded ignorant view you have. Talk about a gerneralisation :rolleyes:
    He seems to have a point, just look at jman0's post above you quoting a well-known song about "free state traitors bringing shame on the flag". The fact that there's a well-known song about it would suggest that it's a fairly widespread view, no?

• Advertisement

jman0 wrote:
    I presume thats a song...
    From the early 20th century perhaps from the lingo?

The country will be awash with tri-colours tomorrow,this is Ireland.
    It is our countries flag and is not an exclusive Republican movement emblem.
    Anyone that suggests so is just plain silly and wrong

jman0 theres a creative writing board for poetry posting.
    In here, we are discussing stuff not posting songs-do not post anything that is not a discussion comment again please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Was at the RDS for the count after the local and euros last year. I in no way support SF and i was so pissed off when i saw them wave the tricolour. I actually felt angry that they could do that.

The symbolism seems to have been lost on them as well. Three colours, two comunities living together in peace.

I think every person who endorses the idea and principle behind the tricolour should be allowed to wave it, fly it and be proud of it. The fact that the shinners think everyone except them alone are allowed to use it does not just show arrogance but it shows contempt for the entire population of Ireland.

In light of recent events in the north and in our own backyard down south, I feel totally vindicated in telling anyone who voted SF in the locals and euros to go FCUK themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

solice wrote:
    in telling anyone who voted SF in the locals and euros to go FCUK themselves!

Another one who resorts to insults!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

whats next a few rounds off into the roof !

lol

I was at the count in the RDS at the last general election and I must admit it was pretty galling seeing the collection of thugs and misfits that made up the SF support waving the tricolour around and roaring their heads off. They're a bunch of knackers, and that's it. Anyone considering voting for SF should go down to a polling station and check out the 'Party Officials'. Just make sure you don't look at their girlfriend funny, or its stabbin' time.

I agree with whoever suggested that the tricolour should be outside the polling station and banned at counts etc to stop the national flag being hijacked by a bunch of donkey jacket wearing bearded drunks waving their fists at everyone.

Another one who resorts to insults!!

At least i cant draw blood with insults.....

magpie wrote:
    the collection of thugs and misfits that made up the SF support waving the tricolour around and roaring their heads off. They're a bunch of knackers, and that's it.

and yet another one!

solice wrote:
    In light of recent events in the north and in our own backyard down south, I feel totally vindicated in telling anyone who voted SF in the locals and euros to go FCUK themselves!
    While I'm at it,No more of that here please.Rephrase it.
    Your opinion is your opinion and there are loads of ways of getting it across without using the F word or the B word for that matter.

Not an insult, its a first-hand observation. A primary historical source if you will. Were you at the RDS count? If not then you're not in any position to refute my statement.

In my opinion, if the rules allow it... anyone should be able to bring a tricolour into a count without others resorting to petty name calling and insults.

I think that's Fine Gaels point.

• Advertisement

magpie wrote:
    Not an insult, its a first-hand observation. A primary historical source if you will. Were you at the RDS count? If not then you're not in any position to refute my statement.

so you met and talked to everyone that was there to ascertain if they were all drunk, thugs, misfits and knackers. Well done you. If not, you probably meant 'some' of the SF were drunk, thugs, misfits and knackers otherwise you are using an insult to generalise a support.

magpie wrote:
    I think that's Fine Gaels point.

Correct... it should work both ways though. SF supporters should not be subjected to the kind of insults seen here either.

probably meant 'some' of the SF were drunk, thugs, misfits and knackers otherwise you are using an insult to generalise a support.

True, the drunken, loud, intimidatory mob who were waving the flags about were obviously only the rank and file support. The 'footsoldiers' if you will.

The malignant, educated higher echelons such as O Snodaigh and Co were smiling smugly in their fancy suits.
    Sinn Fein supporters... insults

OK, but in all honesty I would recommend anyone who votes for Sinn Fein to go down to a count to see who they are voting for / putting their lot in with. There's a big difference between spoiling your vote / voting for a grassroots movement / whatever other reason people have to vote for them and actually seeing what Sinn Fein activists are like in the flesh. And what they're like is Wing B, H-Block. Middle Class SF voters might be under illusions about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Reminds me of the attempts in recent years to reclaim the english flag from the football hooligans TBH. I don't see why there should be a problem with anyone flying the flag, but what they do while flying it should be questioned. Just like the football hooligans.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

i hate Fine Gael and would never vote for them , but they still have as much as right as anyone to fly the National Flag.

It's a rebel song Earthman.
    Appropriate and on-topic too.

jman0 wrote:
    It's a rebel song Earthman.
    Appropriate and on-topic too.
    Just as posting articles without comment is not on here,posting songs like that without comment is not either.
    Do not do that again.

Earthman wrote:
    Just as posting articles without comment is not on here,posting songs like that without comment is not either.
    Do not do that again.

? It's a famous Rebel song, i believe most people are familiar with it, and other ones like it. It is not copywrited material.

Earthman wrote:
    While I'm at it,No more of that here please.Rephrase it.
    Your opinion is your opinion and there are loads of ways of getting it across without using the F word or the B word for that matter.

ok so.....ill rephrase it!

In light of recent events in the north and here in our own backyard I feel totally vindicated in telling anyone that voted for Sinn Fein IRA, a political front for an illegal armed terrorist organization, that they voted for the blood of innocent men to be spilled on our streets (Robert Mcartney, Gerry Mcabe et al), that they voted for crime and corruption (northern bank heist and the cover up for Robert Mcartneys murder), that they voted for a group of people that do not believe in law and order (they do not support the PSNI, a police force supported by the British and Irish governments. They also feel that vigilantism is a means to end criminal activity, they said that they were willing to shoot the people who killed Robert Mcartney. The also proposed the early release of the killers of a member of an garda siochana, gerry mcabe, and insisted on that being a part of the agreement for peace). I feel vindicated in telling the people who voted for Sinn Fein IRA that they voted for the lowest common denominator.

Will that do or should i rephrase it again?

• Advertisement

solice wrote:
    ok so.....ill rephrase it!

In light of recent events in the north and here in our own backyard I feel totally vindicated in telling anyone that voted for Sinn Fein IRA, a political front for an illegal armed terrorist organization, that they voted for the blood of innocent men to be spilled on our streets (Robert Mcartney, Gerry Mcabe et al), that they voted for crime and corruption (northern bank heist and the cover up for Robert Mcartneys murder), that they voted for a group of people that do not believe in law and order (they do not support the PSNI, a police force supported by the British and Irish governments. They also feel that vigilantism is a means to end criminal activity, they said that they were willing to shoot the people who killed Robert Mcartney. The also proposed the early release of the killers of a member of an garda siochana, gerry mcabe, and insisted on that being a part of the agreement for peace). I feel vindicated in telling the people who voted for Sinn Fein IRA that they voted for the lowest common denominator.

Will that do or should i rephrase it again?

Exactly what does this have to do with Fine Gael and the Tricolour?
    It's a wildly off topic rant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement