Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Web Server

Options
  • 14-02-2001 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

2 questions:

1/ is it free?
    2/ where can i get it?

i looked throught microsoft.com but couldn't see it any where

Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy.
    The following tale of alien encounters is true.
    And by true, I mean false.
    It's all lies.
    But they're entertaining lies.
    And in the end, isn't that the real truth?
    The answer is: No.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If you have a copy of the Windows98 CDROM you'll find the installer for PWS on it. It's in the add-ons\pws folder.

_____
    Bard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

yeah it should be some place on your computer already, but why get pws check for other servers i think you can get apache to run off your desktop, samba is another good one if you want php but if its asp stick with pws

o yes it is free

[This message has been edited by damnyanks (edited 14-02-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

As far as Im aware, it doesn't install as standard with Win98, so you actually have to go looking for it.

If you're looking to do serious web dev. work in Windows, of course, Win98 or 95 isn't the ideal platform for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Isn't samba a file server?
    Anyhoo, Apache is the worlds most popular webserver so it's probably the best one to go for cause it'll stand to you when you are looking for a job. It's also free smile.gif
    Also you can run Perl, PHP, JSP, ASP etc etc etc off Apache so it's quite handy.
    The win32 version probably isn't as good as the *nix version but if you configure it right it should be ok.

Might as well get Tomcat too. It's for JSP's only but it's a great little server.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Does this let you host your site on your computer?? If so you how would i set up a 'dot com' address for a site and set up sub-domains like subdomain.address.com or would i need to do it through network solutions or someone like that??

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.

[This message has been edited by smoke-me-a-kipper (edited 15-02-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the reason i want pws is to have some test .html pages on my pc and for some file sharing over hte company network smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Apache's what you want Micro. Seriously, it's dead simple to set up for something like that. Just install it and set a home directory for your HTML. Then other people on the network can get at that by going to your IP address/Computer Name in their browser.

smoke-me-a-kipper you could host your site on your own PC using Apache (or any of the others) but you'd need a 24/7 connection (and a pretty good one at that).
    I think there are services that let you host your site from your PC when you dial up. AFAIK when you dial up you send it your IP and it maps that to the url they give you.
    take a look at www.dynip.com

The best thing to do is have an exact copy of your site on your own PC, http://localhost so you can do all your HTML, images and CGI stuff and then upload it to the web when it's ready.

I have a 24/7 connection over a T3 line here at college... so if i 'lock' my computer overnight, the site can remain active. Where would I get a domain name for my computers IP address, and also how would I set up a mail server for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

smoke-me-a-kipper ->
    thats www.domainregistry.ie / college nameservers territory - is this just for testing/inside college use ? Your college presumably has a webproxy or two that wouldn't let outsiders in anyway.

you could talk to the DNS keepers for your college, but i doubt they'll let you be a part of their domain. Your best bet is probably finding some free webspace. or actually paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I hope you're not talking about general labs PCs there.

Seriously, if you want a cheap domain, talk to the computing/networking society in your college, they'll probably oblige hosting.

You'll still have to register the domain name though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm setting up a meeting with the 'techies' next week.

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.

Advertisement