Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

resolution

Options
  • 18-02-2001 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭

What is the minimum screen resolution people r using these days. I assume no on'e still using 640x480, but 800x600 might be the norm nowadays. What d'ya think??

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

15" monitors are the minimum and 800x600 is the default for windows these days.
    absolutely no point going below that unless your market is using those net tv boxes or its a group of ppl likely to be using 640x480 resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

yeah, most professional sites these days would be for designed for 800x600 or above. Like Kali said there's not much point going for 640x480, and if you're designing for 800x600 to begin with you can fit a lot more content on your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

I working in flash at the moment, so i want to set the movie size, and didn't want people having to scroll sideways, 'cos that really ****es me off sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

But you can set the flash movie to fit all screen sizes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Can u do that in the actual flash movie, or do u do it in the final .htm file?? I know how to scale up in the html file but I don't know if it's possible in flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I don't know much flash but here goes:

In your embed tag, just add in:
    width=100% height=100%
    and that should make it fit in the browser.

Make sure to design your movie so that doesn't distort it horribly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazz:
    yeah, most professional sites these days would be for designed for 800x600 or above. Like Kali said there's not much point going for 640x480, and if you're designing for 800x600 to begin with you can fit a lot more content on your site.</font>

Although there's no point designing specifically for 640x480, most professional sites are re-sizable and will still appear adequately well in that resolution.

I agree with the rest that 800x600 is the minimum norm. I, myself, use 1280x1024.

_____
    Bard

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. -Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

For development purposes the size currently recommend to support as minimum is 800x600 (I haven't recieved any memo to go higher smile.gif). Although in about 6 months or so it will be at least the next step up as most machines these days do silly resolutions.

As for programming your website, having it fixed to display at 800x600 is bad, having it look nice in anything down to 800x600 is good.

Advertisement