Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netscape 6 and Javascript

Options
  • 13-02-2001 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a drop down menu in Javascript and it's now working in IE and Navigator but it seems that Netscape 6 has a totally different idea of how things like that work. (God I hate them smile.gif)
    Has anybody here got any links to a good JS tut for NS6?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i honestly wouldnt bother trying to get your program working in netscape 6.. i was workin on several webpages during the summer and was repeatedly told to forget about it when wondering why perfectly good html and php code didnt look and execute right while in IE4/5 and NS4 it looked perfect.
    imo its a pile of buggy ****e and nobody in their right mind should be using it unless theyve got at least some sort of 1ghz+ machine with a hella lot of ram so it doesnt grind your system to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I couldn't agree more. But say that to the boss smile.gif
    Besides, Mozilla aint *that* bad, and it's getting better.
    I'll still need to learn about Geckos behaviour though so I'll have to find something.

After some research it seems that Gecko is nearly exactly the same as IE as far as Javascript goes.
    If anyone out there is doing drop down menus NS6 handles the style.display = "block/hide"; mechanism the same way as IE.
    Pretty sweet compared to the code I had to write for NS4.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Check out this site...
    http://ultradeviant.co.uk/
    And see the Netscape solution on the home page...

I'll get me hammer....

I'm seriously though, Netscape 6 isn't *that* bad. I think maybe I've grown to not hate it over these past few days. Of course I'm one of those people that thinks that someday Netscape will see it's day. If they can get over that memory problem then there isn't much difference between it and IE, 'cept for the features. Working towards compliance is probably the best thing they can do.

Why oh why oh why does Mozilla take up 26 megs of RAM whilst IE only takes up 1.5? What is it? Java?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

that would be due to the fact that theres already a good 50 megs or so worth of internet explorer components loaded into Windows.

although allegedly IE on solaris machines is much less of a memory hog and crashtastic app than Netscape.

Advertisement