Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 Nigerians deported on flight to Lagos

Options
  • 15-03-2005 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0315/deport.html
    Gardaí have confirmed that 35 Nigerians were last night deported on a flight back to Lagos.

The charter flight left Dublin Airport just before midnight.

The deportees, who included men, women and children, were accompanied by members of the Garda National Immigration Bureau. A number of those due to be deported secured judicial reviews at the last minute and so did not travel.

The development follows a series of arrests of non-nationals across the country in recent days, who had failed in their applications for asylum.

This is the first such mass deportation this year. Deportations have become a routine part of the Department of Justice and the gardaí's immigration and asylum control policy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Cool Cat wrote:

wonder how many tens of thousands of taxpayers money that cost :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Cool Cat banned for a week for posting an article without his own opinion. He was already on a warning for a previous thread. Will leave this open for 24 hours and see if it develops into a discussion. If not it will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

why do they carry out these deportations in the middle of the night? is there a problem with getting a flight slot during the day or is it to prevent anyone getting in contact with their lawyers or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

or is it to prevent anyone getting in contact with their lawyers or what?

Wouldn't suprise me.
    wonder how many tens of thousands of taxpayers money that cost

A lot more than the 'cost' to the economy from giving them work permits probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

why do they carry out these deportations in the middle of the night?
    Element of surprise I guess. Same reason why raids are carried out at dawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I can understand raiding houses for them either late at night or early in the morning, but why wait till so late to fly them out. I am assuming that they would be in custody for several hours before they are spirited out of the country in the dead of night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is it to prevent anyone getting in contact with their lawyers or what?

Mainly. I'd love a lawyer who could get me sorted that quick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Mainly. I'd love a lawyer who could get me sorted that quick :)

Any half decent law firm has a contact number you can use day or night.

I live just around the corner from the Nigeria embassy in Dublin I noticed alot of activity outside the embassy, (a crowd of about two dozen, security, notice put on the door) just yesterday(monday).

I cant help but ask, why Nigerians, they seem like a group of African scapegoats, aside from the proliferations of 481 scams, why are nigerians consistently singled out alongside Romanians as the group most likely to "abuse' our asylum laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

why do they carry out these deportations in the middle of the night? is there a problem with getting a flight slot during the day or is it to prevent anyone getting in contact with their lawyers or what?
    Would think this is to accomodate Gardaí/expenses - etc. Check in is at 12 noon in most hotels worldwide - this fits! Not that I begrudge em a couple of days in the sun or anything - but suspect its geared toward them and paperwork - african politics - you don't wan't to be landing in Lagos when every official is asleep - best morning - before noon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

mycroft wrote:
    I cant help but ask, why Nigerians, they seem like a group of African scapegoats, aside from the proliferations of 481 scams, why are nigerians consistently singled out alongside Romanians as the group most likely to "abuse' our asylum laws.
    Think it's thoughts of Biafra as well tbh...

It's history. Romania... dunno the history.

Know Nigerians who've been here years and look on new-comers as scum - (Christian - well educated- self debate on how christian they are though... but in some cases definitely right - in thinking!)

I've been abroad and seen Scum - Irish Scum and just been too scared to phone polis (correct spelling for where I was) I can see where he (his missus)come from, apart from being rich nigerians.

I get too many dodgy emails that i've traced back to Lagos to doubt them much! tbh!

Romania - nothing - romanian's are racist though -generally - hate the Roma folk in my experience... but I can't say I know any that well.

Don't know the full stats of prisoners here among africans - think Nigerian's is high - but don't expec Togo/Benin to compete in this game.

Think really most folk know someone who was involved in this (Biafra)- and don't like history of it...

Whatever the truth of it I can identify with Nigerians - they have a bad rap - I worked in London 20 years ago, we (Irish) did get **** then from most folk!

At 17 I didn't have a thick skin either!

So what's the concern with Nigerians at state level?

My theory: Do think that we were never an occupier - and were part of British empire... so there's a commonality - think Lunar house (Croydon ) isn't doing enough that's why they (the completely unskilled except in card skimming etc) want to come here...

Can see how people would disagree... But please no ... "you are racist bullsh!t!" I ain't - logical argument only please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

I'd say deportations are carried out at night to prevent protests.
    There's one at 1230 tomorrow at the immigration centre on the quays if anyones around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

foxybrowne wrote:
    I'd say deportations are carried out at night to prevent protests.
    There's one at 1230 tomorrow at the immigration centre on the quays if anyones around.
    Why are people protesting? They failed in their quest for asylum and they are being deported! Or do you know something that the media doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mycroft wrote:
    I live just around the corner from the Nigeria embassy in Dublin I noticed alot of activity outside the embassy, (a crowd of about two dozen, security, notice put on the door) just yesterday(monday).

That could be due to the Passport issue , The Nigerian Embasy are charging €400 for a passpot that their people need in their assylum application. needless to say their citizens are none to happy about that. In the Uk the passport cost £95.

These assylum seekers had due process ,I don't see the problem either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

L5 wrote:
    wonder how many tens of thousands of taxpayers money that cost :rolleyes:

From what I gather (may not be the same for all countries) but the home country of the people is billed and it is generally up to the home country to get the funds back from the people deported. This is based on two incidents I know of where people I know were deported from Brazil and USA (both Irish). Although as I said this may not be the case in all instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

The raids are carried out at night to surprise the people they wish to round up.

They are flown out of the country at "odd" times as the flight slots are cheaper than a commerical slot at 11 in the morning for example.

It is not a nice thing to happen however these people have been through the system and they havent proved their case, its not a case of deporting them before their claims were heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Personally I'm happy that people who are here illegally are being deported whatever the cost. Getting a soft image is the last thing the country needs. Plus it means that the people who are claiming aslum here or working legally are having a quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Forgive my ignorance on this issue: why would the deportees need advice from their lawyers between the time of arrest (or whatever it is) and flight out of the country? If their application has been fully processed by this stage, what can a lawyer do?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

It's to prevent failed applicants going into hiding, as what happened frequently (I don't have the statistics to hand but I know I have seen them. Need to go find them again though) before the state decided to use the dawn raid method. It's not pretty, but it cuts out a lot of the "going into hiding" routine, which then means the gardai have to spend man-power to track them down, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

MadsL wrote:
    A lot more than the 'cost' to the economy from giving them work permits probably...
    Give a work permit to every failed asylum applicant? :eek:

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance on this issue: why would the deportees need advice from their lawyers between the time of arrest (or whatever it is) and flight out of the country? If their application has been fully processed by this stage, what can a lawyer do?
    Presumably lawyers can use all sorts of legal loopholes and tricks to delay the deportation process, leaving us to foot the bill when a second plane needs to be chartered.
    The Irish Refugee council do good work, but these guys know all of the tricks. But they do have a 24 hour number, so I don't think the late-night raids are to stop them getting involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

My wife was steamed-up about this last night, and not happy that one of the deportees was a boy about to sit his leaving certificate exam.

I've only had one or two experiences with Nigerians: one was actually second-hand. A friend of my older son was driving his motorcycle in Cork when a car shot out of a side street, ignoring a stop sign, and hit the motorcycle broadside, sending the rider head over heels (he was wearing body armour, luckily) across the street surface until he hit a parked car. Meanwhile, the driver, a Nigerian, leaped out of his car and ran for it. He was eventually caught and this was his second such offence and he was driving his brother-in-law's car for this incident. I can only hope he is one of the deportees.

My other experience was first-hand. I was next in line at a Lidl's in Galway and there was a young woman behind me with a cartful of groceries. Two Nigerian men came up and stood behind me. I looked at them and told them the young woman was next after me, and they should go to the rear of the line. One of them said, "No problem, man." I repeated what I said, and he repeated what he said, and I then thought he meant that he was not going to budge the line. As my turn was next, I moved along and heard the woman and the man speaking and thought she said he could go-ahead. My younger daughter, who was with me in the line, told me in the car that the woman was actually saying "If you had asked me, I would have told you to go ahead, but you didn't even ask." The two men did cut in front of her after all, and I hope they are both sunning themselves now someplace in Nigeria.

TomF wrote:
    I've only had one or two experiences with Nigerians: ....
    Not to downplay your experiences......but how do you know they were Nigerian?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its only suprising when every African person I've talked to has said that Nigerians are dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

the_syco wrote:
    Its only suprising when every African person I've talked to has said that Nigerians are dodgy.

thats a bit strong m8 !! put yourself in thier shoes.............. the celtic tiget bit you bad ............ there is plenty of room in ireland for migrants and loads of jobs......... lets share it out............ :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

seamus wrote:
    Not to downplay your experiences......but how do you know they were Nigerian?

Now, Seamus, everyone knows that all black people on Ireland are Nigerian and all asian people are Chinese.

They are the two places where all non-white people come from.

Anecdotal evidence means nothing TomF. I'd agree with your wifes concerns over the LC student being deported, that is ridiculous and whatever genius in the immigration office who put that paperwork though should be fired on the spot.

Can anyone show me any figures to say that the number of arrests of Nigerians in Ireland, in proportion to the Nigerian population in Ireland, is higher than the arrest figures for any other nation per population?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

TomF wrote:
    The two men did cut in front of her after all, and I hope they are both sunning themselves now someplace in Nigeria.

I know from living in Africa that it isn't in their culture to queue.
    I also know from my German in laws that it isn't in their's either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Drapper wrote:
    thats a bit strong m8 !! put yourself in thier shoes.............. the celtic tiget bit you bad ............ there is plenty of room in ireland for migrants and loads of jobs......... lets share it out............ :confused:
    Surely that shoulsd have read "there is plenty of room in ireland for legal migrants"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Imposter wrote:
    Surely that shoulsd have read "there is plenty of room in ireland for legal migrants"

Not all Nigerians are bad ............. and word "legal" in the irish legal system is a joke ! Why target one race? nation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Myself and my girlfriend had a personal experience with a Nigerian man. When she was pregnant with our first child we went for one of her pre-natal appointments. The docter was a huge Nigerian guy called Dr Obi (yes, like in Star Wars.) He was very good and my GF requested him for all her appointments from that point on.

What does this prove? Absolutly nothing, a bit like TomF's post.

MrP

Advertisement