Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yamaha Drag Star 650 question

Options
  • 15-03-2005 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am looking to buy a yamaha Drag Star 650 second hand
    I have found a 1997 650 custom with 22000km on the clock

Does 4,500 euro sound like a good deal ??

P.S. It has a loud slash pipe exhaust - I presume (to not totally drive all my neighbours crazy) it is only a matter of putting back the original pipes on to return it ' s quieter self ?

Thanks for any suggestions
    B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

mad money for a 8 year old bike, hell a new harley davidson vrod is only 18grand.

the 650 goes for abut 6 or 7 new i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

that is a bit much... when I was trading up I only got like a grand more than that for a 2002 drag star classic with 20,000 on it. Beware of aftermarket pipes too so I've been told. Apparently some of them (if fitted by an amateur) can cause harm to the engine over time. Get a newer bike with standard pipes and if you want to create more of a rumble, go to www.dragstardoctor.com

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

Great bike and as long as it's in good shape that sounds like a good deal to me, i've got a 99 one myself with 33,000 miles on it now (only 1,800 when i got it 3 years ago) with those same exhausts :) yeah they are a little loud but none of my neighbours have complained about it....at least not to my face :D

Sound bike, very easy to drive and enjoy, cheap to service too :)
    if you do get it, i'd highly recommend putting on a set of Avon Venom Tyres onto it when they need new ones, i only recently had to change mine again, got about 16,000 miles out of the last set, great value :)

With regard to the exhaust, unless the guy selling it still has the originals your stuck with em, but dont worry about it too much, they sound terrible with the original exhaust anyways, ya need the slash cuts on it to give it a bit of umph :)

I know there is an 1100 drag star i've seen a few times around waterford and it's got original pipes, sounds like a little 125, terrible altogether, my brother had the 1100 classic with the same slash cuts i've got and my god it sounded like an animal :)

A final note about the slash cut pipes, someone else might be able to verify this, make sure the bike has been fitted with a dyno jet, if no jet was put on and he slash cuts were added it could cause alot of trouble as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

just seeing rymus's post now.... remember this, rymus your bike was what 2 years old and had 20,000 on it so looking at that it's about 10,000 a year whereas this is a 97 with only 22,000 on the clock, that's nothing, maybe 3,000 a year and quiet possibly dry miles at that, in which case that makes the bike very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Eye wrote:
    Great bike and as long as it's in good shape that sounds like a good deal to me, i've got a 99 one myself with 33,000 miles on it now (only 1,800 when i got it 3 years ago) with those same exhausts :) yeah they are a little loud but none of my neighbours have complained about it....at least not to my face :D

Sound bike, very easy to drive and enjoy, cheap to service too :)
    if you do get it, i'd highly recommend putting on a set of Avon Venom Tyres onto it when they need new ones, i only recently had to change mine again, got about 16,000 miles out of the last set, great value :)

With regard to the exhaust, unless the guy selling it still has the originals your stuck with em, but dont worry about it too much, they sound terrible with the original exhaust anyways, ya need the slash cuts on it to give it a bit of umph :)

I know there is an 1100 drag star i've seen a few times around waterford and it's got original pipes, sounds like a little 125, terrible altogether, my brother had the 1100 classic with the same slash cuts i've got and my god it sounded like an animal :)

A final note about the slash cut pipes, someone else might be able to verify this, make sure the bike has been fitted with a dyno jet, if no jet was put on and he slash cuts were added it could cause alot of trouble as far as i know.

still crazy money. dont pay 4 and a half for a 8 year old machine. buy new or else u buy ****e and ul buy twice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

A Tarts handbag.

Save your money , buy a classic Suzuki GS mid 80's, or the Katana mid 80's , 1/4 of the price.

Bullet proof engine, sought after classic, increases in value.

Great bike in its own right, not a harley wannabe.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YAPP

Canney beat da auld r1150gs for a tour o'er the hills......

none o yer soft tail fcukn drags

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yes... apart from the simple facts that the 1150gs is a group 12 bike that cost upwards of 15 grand. twats

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

lomb wrote:
    still crazy money. dont pay 4 and a half for a 8 year old machine. buy new or else u buy ****e and ul buy twice

Age is irrelevant. What matters is how the bike has been treated (crashed / thrashed?) and maintained.

There are great bargains to be had in the UK on older bikes, and the VRT on a personal import is low once the bike is a few years old.

Most UK bikes have far lower mileage than an Irish equivalent would, and some have full main dealer service history and have never seen rain! Try finding that over here.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement