Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart now claim their service is 8Mbit to 4km

• 15-03-2005 11:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

First punters switched on today too.

All straight from the horses mouth on the Radio today and you can hear the horse himself , Oisín Fannng their MD, in an audio link in this thread Here

McRedmond from Eircom claimed that Eircom will now help you pass the line test .....yeah right :) He also claimed that the pre-qual has been sort of abolished .....so thats not a real failure then even though it is .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Sponge Bob wrote:
    First punters switched on today too.

All straight from the horses mouth on the Radio today and you can hear the horse himself , Oisín Fannng their MD, in an audio link in this thread Here

McRedmond from Eircom claimed that Eircom will now help you pass the line test .....yeah right :) He also claimed that the pre-qual has been sort of abolished .....so thats not a real failure then even though it is .

:eek: 8mbit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

hear the horse !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Now thats broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Hmm, maybe it will be 8mbit, since "four times faster" than 2mb (esats top package) is four times faster biggrin.gif

But bloody hell - imagine 8mbit broadband! Nearly 1megabyte per second eek.gif
    Or maybe he meant that the service is capable of having up to 8mbit (but that they won't be giving out 8mbit service for €35)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i won't be holding my breath.
    funny how they've completely failed to mention this until eircom announced the new bitstream products.

maybe they just forgot to mention it. ;)

i wonder what boards.ie's resident smart employee has to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

vibe666 wrote:
    funny how they've completely failed to mention this until eircom announced the new bitstream products.

And bloody right too! Why should they show all their cards from the outset?

The best strategy is to announce a winning product, force the competition into a rushed response and then trump them. It might even start a race and the real winner will be the consumer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They can offer up to ~24mb/s, wouldn't be surprising if they jacked it up to kick Eircom in the nuts again. Though I'm inclined to think that the 8mb/s quote is more from their tests than standard speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

It would be nice if Garfield re-appeared to clarify the 8Mbps statements.

Surely this would not be "pimping"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

8mb, dont you need ADSL 2 for that or do smart not stop there speed a 2mb, or was that a slip on the new eircom speeds "Smart are 4 times faster" 2mb x 4 = 8mb
    I did'nt like that eircom man with his bullsh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Smart IS rolling out ADSL2, aren't they? confused.gif

• Advertisement

8mb, dont you need ADSL 2 for that

Garfield won't bother coming back I'd say :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

So...

What's the dealeo? :)

Are they going to be offering an 8mb or what? :D I hope they do, but it says nothing on their website, or anywhere else.

At the moment tho, I hate the way they're offering a 2mb line and only 128k upload. As was said numerous times before, it's completely unbalanced! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What happened to Garfield anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

iano wrote:
    It would be nice if Garfield re-appeared to clarify the 8Mbps statements.

Surely this would not be "pimping"?
    Iano,

The 8Mbps was a line speed test. It's not the service being offered.
    We consistently hit 6.5Mbps through today. Upload speeds were just under 1Mb (using technology as currently configured). Other flavours of DSL available for other requirements.
    Now happy to have broadband at home (I previously failed the line test).

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

i think he ate to much lasagne, got fat and became an outcast in a modern society where your popularity is decided by how you look.

He got some abuse from Devore about "pimping" or something. Basically he said Smart/Garfied were taking advantage of boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Sarsfield wrote:
    And bloody right too! Why should they show all their cards from the outset?

The best strategy is to announce a winning product, force the competition into a rushed response and then trump them. It might even start a race and the real winner will be the consumer!

Yes! I hope the rivalry continues, the only winners will be us!

Iano,

We consistently hit 6.5Mbps through today. Upload speeds were just under 1Mb (using technology as currently configured). Other flavours of DSL available for other requirements.

Garfield.

:eek: he's back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Iano,

Garfield.

So it is a theorectical (sp?) 8Mbps with average speeds of 6Mbps ... is that what the standard Smart broadband product is going to be now, or are you still doing the 2Mbps version and this will cost more? Because if this is the standard version I think I will be kissing Esat and there 2mbps good bye :D

L5 wrote:
    :eek: he's back!
    Had to go and unbundle some exchanges.

Garfield.

• Advertisement

Other flavours of DSL available for other requirements.

Are we testing Bonded Pair ADSL2 then Garfield ?

http://www.aware.com/products/dsl/bonded.htm

CyberGhost wrote:
    Yes! I hope the rivalry continues, the only winners will be us!

Lets not get too heated, you now what happend to K1 on a previous topic.
    Other than that thank you smart for bringing some compitition into the market, if you were never here we would be still looking at 512 for the next 2 years while the other countries laugh at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Garfield.

Garfield - please please please do Blanch Exchange also. I'll be getting
    the 2M Eircom upgrade but would gladly move to smart.

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Garfield.

Any word on the Santry exchange?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Are we testing Bonded Pair ADSL2 then Garfield ?

http://www.aware.com/products/dsl/bonded.htm
    Nothing as fancy. I'm sure we'll get around to trying that. I'll volunteer my line again ;-)

is it true that you have less than 30,000 customers signed up, i was expecting you to have gone past your 100,000.

BTW welcome back, Garfield, did you re-regester ive seen you have only 98 posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

I'd second that! Especially since I only make about 4 calls from my landline a month but need to pay a hugh amount in line rental charges.

Surely Blanchardstown (my exchange as-well) would have a big market for broadband as it has such a big catchment area, is a large exchange building for extra gear and has so many IT companies (and hence IT savvy workers), etc in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nothing as fancy. I'm sure we'll get around to trying that. I'll volunteer my line again ;-)
    "First subscriber switched on today". Could that be you by any chance? ;)

I coulda sworn the horse said subscriberS Séamus , oh and Garfield ....my telephony q's please .

• Advertisement

BTW welcome back, Garfield, did you re-regester ive seen you have only 98 posts
    Didn't reregister, don't know how many posts I've made, I'm sure if it says 98 posts, that's right.

Advertisement