Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart now claim their service is 8Mbit to 4km

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I coulda sworn the horse said subscriberS Séamus , oh and Garfield ....my telephony q's please .
    Thanks for that. I know the questions are outstanding. We've been busy.
    Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Sorry would of thought with all these questions you would of clocked up 100s, but my mistake, anyway what speed to you currently get with your personal service, and do you get it free or at a high reduced price

Sorry would of thought with all these questions you would of clocked up 100s, but my mistake, anyway what speed to you currently get with your personal service, and do you get it free or at a high reduced price
    I'm running at line speed at present, but that will be amended to one of the standard profiles. How much do I pay? Come on now..... ;-)

How much do they pay me, you say LOL

How much do they pay me, you say LOL
    Fair point, but that's not what I was suggesting. 2MB for €35 and free line rental.....I'm hardly going to complain.

G.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My telephony q's ?

do you reckon i will be within the first 100,000 if i sign up and if I leave it till later this year what is the approx line rental rate, since eircoms is €22, is the BB €35, only because i read people saying its €11 (is this it after the free line rental)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

without trying to rob this topic.

Garfield, since your testing at 6.5Mbps, have you any news on what other products you may offer in addition to the basic broadband package.

i.e. a 4Mbps package etc.

Upload speeds were just under 1Mb (using technology as currently configured)

Wow good upload speeds, when do you think eircom are goin to challange this?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    My telephony q's ?
    I'll dig the questions out and get to them tomorrow.

Garfield.

• Advertisement

And when you see him tell the horse never to try to match McRedmond in the lying stakes :)

€ircon have c.60% population coverage for DSL of whom 20-30% fail the test anyway so its under 50% really .

McRedmond was banging on about 80% population coverage unchallenged . Total Crap !

imagine eircom not providing a service to villages with less than 1000 people, thats a form of discrimination, thats like me refusing 10 €100 jobs a week, while hoping to get 1 €1000 job in a week if eircom TRIED to do some work and enabled these towns all the bb customers would add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

yes ireland is a country of smaller towns, and I agree with you that it is a form of "culchie discrimination"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

AlienGav wrote:
    At the moment tho, I hate the way they're offering a 2mb line and only 128k upload. As was said numerous times before, it's completely unbalanced!
    And it is called ADSL why? (Clue: Asymmetric DSL) :)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

imagine eircom not providing a service to villages with less than 1000 people, thats a form of discrimination, thats like me refusing 10 €100 jobs a week, while hoping to get 1 €1000 job in a week if eircom TRIED to do some work and enabled these towns all the bb customers would add up.

not a good comparison you do not have to pay to get those jobs

but eircom has to pay for each exchanged enabled
    the more remote it is the more it cost to upgrade the exchange
    so the exchanges with the least number of people would be the most expensive to upgrade
    it would take so long to get their money back (not even make a profit) on thoses exchanges
    there is a good chance the company would be sold before that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

By the way, Garfield is apparently getting 6Mbps on a line that fails Eircom's pre-qual. Perhaps this tells Smart to not rely on Eircom's test data? (yes I know ADSL2+ is marvellous and all that but I doubt it's so good that 512Kbps doesn't work with RADSL but 6Mbps works with ADSL2+ on the same line)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Did you hear some of the crap the guy from Eircom was coming out with, he actually said that the reason Eircom was only upgrading speeds now was in his words "Because there has been no demand from the public for higher speed broadband in this country.

He then was saying about how Eircom was a proven product and that all the customers were happy with it. It was interesting to hear the Smart representitive talking about how Eircom are holding up the releasing of customers because they are concerned about procedures for customers looking to reconnect to Eircom in the future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm so sick of €ircon and their lies and stupid ads. The latest one from yer one, stating that she's just found a bargain that can't be matched in regards to her broadband package when it fact they are the most expensive, have the lowest cap and who's trial is one month shorter than everyone else. Of course, because of their massive advertising budget they can convince so many people that they are the ones to use for Broadband. At least Smart are tackling this and are spending a lot on advertising so hopefully it will have the desired effect and make people look at the other options out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Blaster99 wrote:
    By the way, Garfield is apparently getting 6Mbps on a line that fails Eircom's pre-qual.
    Smart will be doing their own line tests, so they aren't going to rely on Eircom's results, thankfully.

Some people were asking about the Blanchardstown exchange, didn't Garfield mention that that exchange is on the wrong side of the M50 to their fibre network. Hence connecting it would require digging a whole across the M50, which ain't going to happen.

Maybe they could run the line across one of the many many many bridges that cross the M50 at Blanch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Will they? Garfield said Smart will use Eircom's test data.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Actually if I remember correctly they'll be doing their own tests on the data that Eircom provides. They wont be doing line tests per se.

[Edit: Damn you Blaster99 :) ]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Blaster99 wrote:
    Will they? Garfield said Smart will use Eircom's test data.

They will run the rest results against their own criteria which won't be as strict as €ircon's so more lines will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

jor el wrote:
    Some people were asking about the Blanchardstown exchange, didn't Garfield mention that that exchange is on the wrong side of the M50 to their fibre network. Hence connecting it would require digging a whole across the M50, which ain't going to happen.

Maybe they could run the line across one of the many many many bridges that cross the M50 at Blanch?

Or how about along the railway line ???

Or how about along the railway line ???

They cant go near the railway because ESAT have a monopoly on that until 2022 or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Sponge Bob wrote:
    They cant go near the railway because ESAT have a monopoly on that until 2022 or something

Man that sucks. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Capitalism...........isnt it GREAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

diarmo wrote:
    Capitalism...........isnt it GREAT

LOL .. yeah it was a really good idea by the government to open up the telecom industry :rolleyes:

Far play to Smart .. they have to do it the hard way (building their own network) but they are at least starting to light fires under Eircom .. it would be amazing if we actually had a wide spread and cheap 8Mbps broadband service in this country with in the next year, considering the rest of Europe is laughting at us at the moment .. 0.5Mbps to 8Mbps in a few weeks is quite a jump :D

Wicknight wrote:
    LOL .. yeah it was a really good idea by the government to open up the telecom industry :rolleyes:

Far play to Smart .. they have to do it the hard way (building their own network) but they are at least starting to light fires under Eircom .. it would be amazing if we actually had a wide spread and cheap 8Mbps broadband service in this country with in the next year, considering the rest of Europe is laughting at us at the moment .. 0.5Mbps to 8Mbps in a few weeks is quite a jump :D

Personially I dont have a clue what was spinning around Bertie's head when he decided not just to sell off the main Telco...but the infrastructure as well instead of returning it to full government control...it was like selling off the sewer/drainage system!!!

It would be nice if we were to at least keep up with the UK ISP's...not to mention the ones operating in France!!!

But greed and the fact that "they wont mind if we give them a ****ty connection" really pisses me off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

just listened to the interview now

"Q: so are you offering nation wide coverage?
    A: we are"

"our first customers are live today and within 4 km of the exchange are getting 8 mbit at the moment"

two exact quotes from what the smart repersentative said on today fm

McRedmond puts an awful spin on things
    but was the smart guy lying through his teeth or am i mistaken?

• Advertisement

No way in hell are Smart offering 8Mbit to residental customers.

He was probable talking about testers for future rollout.

Advertisement