Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart now claim their service is 8Mbit to 4km

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

diarmo wrote:
    No way in hell are Smart offering 8Mbit to residental customers.

He was probable talking about testers for future rollout.

he said it was the customers that just went live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

diarmo wrote:
    No way in hell are Smart offering 8Mbit to residental customers.

He was probable talking about testers for future rollout.
    Agreed. That was a line speed test. We hit 8Mb, I'm achieving 6.5Mb down constant and just under 1Mb up. The service we are rolling out today is 2Mb down and 128k up.

Garfield.

Agreed. That was a line speed test.

why would he make it sound like it was the product smart were offering

agin here is the quote
    "our first customers are live today and within 4 km of the exchange are getting 8 mbit at the moment"

do you think he is making it sound like 8 mibt is the product avilable to the public?

also this was in responce to eircom saying they will be offering up to 4 mbit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Garfield,

Do you know what areas went live today?

Any better idea when you'll get around to the whitehall exchange? It still says March/April.......

Any info would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

masterK wrote:
    It was interesting to hear the Smart representitive talking about how Eircom are holding up the releasing of customers because they are concerned about procedures for customers looking to reconnect to Eircom in the future.
    It wouldn't surprise me, there are no procedures. I spent over 4 months trying to change from UTV back _to_ Eircom but gave up in January as it was just going around in circles. They're about as organised as a plate of spaghetti.

I'm guessing it'll be a while before we see Smart's services around here tho :/

• Advertisement

PcP wrote:

I'm guessing it'll be a while before we see Smart's services around here tho :/

don't be so pessimistic
    listen to the interview from yesterday
    "Q: so are you offering nation wide coverage?
    A: we are"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

8mb, dont you need ADSL 2 for that or do smart not stop there speed a 2mb, or was that a slip on the new eircom speeds "Smart are 4 times faster" 2mb x 4 = 8mb
    I did'nt like that eircom man with his bullsh*t.
    Vanilla adsl that has been installed in exchanges for 4 years now (could of been more) I think has been able to do 8mbit, ADSL2 provides for 24mbit or so. Speed increases have been held up unneccesserily by eircom. they needed a good kick to the balls, which smart has seemingly given them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Imagine the range of VDSL???

Downloads at a theoretical speed of 52mbit/s???
    In my opinion Eircom will skip over ADSL+2 completely and the next big step for them will be VDSL!!!

Wait and See!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

diarmo wrote:
    Imagine the range of VDSL???

Downloads at a theoretical speed of 52mbit/s???
    In my opinion Eircom will skip over ADSL+2 completely and the next big step for them will be VDSL!!!

Wait and See!
    VDSL has a very low loop length tolerance.

Garfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

VDSL works great at short distances like up to 1.5 - 2 km but the speed drops like a stone thereafter. Thats one reason why Eircom turned it off in Ennis a few years back :)

ADSL2 tapers off more gradually .

• Advertisement

If you lay Fibre up to an estate of houses lets say and then use copper for the last km or so then VDSL would be a very good idea indeed.

For built up areas it would be ideal especially in new housing developements.

But the man with the house up a mountain will still be using dialup for a very long time indeed...unless he can get wireless of course!

BTW
    Fibre optic is the future and the sooner Eircom start laying it the better!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

tuxy wrote:
    don't be so pessimistic

Nationwide insofar as where the MAN exists which isn't the whole country. As far as I remember the MAN is owned by the Government/ESB. It's their problem to lay more of it. Smart are just using it - though they've admitted to considering wireless to extend the range - good on them.

It's not really fair to say it's nationwide... Maybe it will be but 4 exchanges isn't nationwide either. :p </pedantism?>

I'm not encouraging pessimism though. I should stress that. Personally I'm being a little pragmatic - I'll wait and see. They changeover process is my biggest concern. I run my company mostly from home. I can't have a month or 4 of broadband downtime. It just isn't feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Robert

hi GarfieldConnoll,

I was just wonderind what would be the limit in distance that you could be from your Smart enadled exchanges to be able to get Smart Broadband is 4 miles or longer

Robert wrote:
    hi GarfieldConnoll,

I was just wonderind what would be the limit in distance that you could be from your Smart enadled exchanges to be able to get Smart Broadband is 4 miles or longer

It depends on what speed you intend to get.
    I think the max distance is 5KM, but you will be severely restricted in speed.
    To get the maximum speed of ADSL+2 in the future you will need to be about 2km from the exchange.

The short distances are caused by a lack of boosting, which has been done without anyproblems in analogue tranmission but the boosters that eircom use would corrupt the DSL data stream.

The distance factor would be meaningless if you could lay Optical Fibre to your house of course :D .

Also people should remember that ADSL2 and ADSL2+ are different systems with different maximum bandwidths.
    ADSL Max = 8mbit download
    ADSL2 Max = 12mbit download (residental connection)
    ADSL2+ Max = 25mbit download (business connection)

So for slower speeds ADSL2 will certainly increase range but nearing its max speed of 12mbit/s will when compared to the ADSL max speed of 8mbit/s only increase your distance from the exchange by less than 200metres!!!
    You'd still have to be quite lucky to get it if you currently can't get Eircoms bitstream service...though Smart will possible be less strict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

diarmo wrote:
    The distance factor would be meaningless if you could lay Optical Fibre to your house of course :D

Not true

Fibre falls off at a distance too, but that distance about 10km. Afiak no loop length in Ireland is that long.

And its unfeasable to do it

A) Very expensive
    B) The entire country would have to be redug to lay fibre to every house.

Unless you are one of the lucky ones to be in those new estates in which has fibre being laid in it, you'll be stuck with copper for a while.

And you know this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

TimTim wrote:
    Not true

Fibre falls off at a distance too, but that distance about 10km. Afiak no loop length in Ireland is that long.

more like 100km otherwise ye'd never make across the pond

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I think you're right about the 100km, trying to remember from networks lectures... but one could always have repeaters on the line and no doubt they are used in some places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

yea the repeaters used on fiber would be digital so it would not matter. The repeaters used on phone lines are analog so It is impossible to get the DSL signal passed one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Eh I thought that the Atlantic Ocean was far bigger than 100 kms and fibre optic is laid there with no (significant) problems. Even the shorter lengths to across the pond have no repeaters.

The CELTIC fibre optic cable which is 275 kms long has no repeaters
    Link:

tuxy wrote:
    don't be so pessimistic
    More realistic than pessimistic tbh, I live in a small town so wont be top of their list for exchanges to enable. I'd prefer to see them take their time and get everything running smooth anyway, they will have to do something fairly wrong not to get my business from Eircom/Resellers.

• Advertisement

PcP wrote:
    More realistic than pessimistic tbh, I live in a small town so wont be top of their list for exchanges to enable.

Living in a small or large town is somewhat irrelevant.

Smart will do the really big towns anyway, over 20,000 people or so.

After that Smart will ONLY do a town if it is close to the ESB National fibre marked on this map below. If you are very close to that fibre, albeit a small town , you have a much better chance of persuading Smart to LLU your exchange than if you are big(ish) but not close . Thats because of the cost of digging for fibre to connect the ESB network to the local exchange.

In the example below we can see that Thurles in Tipp and Westport in Mayo are probably off te Smart radar but the much smaller Athenry in Galway has a reasonable chance and Carrick on Shannon is already on their list :)

map1.jpg

HTH

Cheers for the info Sponge Bob. That doesn't look too promising though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Anyone know what ESB's plans are for installing more MAN's on the current loop?

Or is there any way to pressure them into installing more?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

Anyone know what ESB's plans are for installing more MAN's on the current loop?

Or is there any way to pressure them into installing more?

I think this crowd are looking after all the MANS http://www.enet.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

eirmail wrote:
    I think this crowd are looking after all the MANS http://www.enet.ie/

The ESB being close isnt enough - I'm in Blanchardstown - there are two Stars on that map practly on my house - but Smart telecom web site says they have no plans to come to Blanch exchange :(

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Funny that they do plan to come here to Kilkenny exchange when not a single part of county kilkenny is covered on that ESB map. I know there's a fibre MAN around the city but there's no sign of any connection to the rest of ESB's fibre ring on that map.

Not that I'm complaining or anything :)

Been accused of being the one who mentioned 8Mbits which is a bit unfair .....so !

Advertisement