Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is X950XT the name of ATI's R520?

Options
  • 15-03-2005 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

Thats what this site is claiming heres what it said

Chinese website might have answers

By Désiré Athow: Thursday 24 February 2005, 07:16

PC POP might have some interesting answers to our no less interesting questions.
    According to this article on the Chinese website, ATI's next generation card, the one with 512MB memory that should be released at a Texan Gaming party, the R520, will probably be called the X950XT.

In performance terms, it will be at least four times quicker than a X800Pro which was itself four times faster than a 9800se.

Moreover, it seems that the memory and core speeds will be 900MHz and 750MHz respectively; the latter figure being actually quite high. As for the vendor ID, 0x1046 corresponds to IPC Corporation LTD. That's all folks. µ

sounds very nice

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Yes that information looks accurate. The R520 (fudo core) will have the clock speed that dubdvd mentioned. Other things to note is 90nm architecture, 24 pipelines and Shader Model 3.0 and 32 bit color precision support.

It is expected to ship in 256MB and 512MB configurations and is expected to appear mainstream quater 3 this year.

Nvidia also confirmed the replacement to the NV cards and a direct competitior to ATI's R520 in the form of the 90nm Gxx cards. Little is known about this except that it will appear around September this year.

Nvidia are also making noises about dual core graphics cards....although at this stage it seem unlikely that Gxx series will have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

And what game is gonna stress these cards?????

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

unklerosco wrote:

maybe the new UT game will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

unklerosco wrote:
    PacMan Returns :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Well according to some developers behind the unreal 3 engine and the designers of the 2006 due battle of britain they expect there games to run on medium detail with current generation of graphics cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the pcpop picture was proven fake btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

Azza wrote:
    Yes that information looks accurate. The R520 (fudo core) will have the clock speed that dubdvd mentioned. Other things to note is 90nm architecture, 24 pipelines and Shader Model 3.0 and 32 bit color precision support.

It is expected to ship in 256MB and 512MB configurations and is expected to appear mainstream quater 3 this year.

mmmm

who cares nothing will stress it...i dont want to be stressing the card..if its getting stressed its too weak! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ViperVenoM wrote:
    mmmm

who cares nothing will stress it...i dont want to be stressing the card..if its getting stressed its too weak! :p

Hehehe i agree , you want lots of "room" to play with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

1600x1200 with 16xAA and 32xAf i'm sure will test it.

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:
    1600x1200 with 16xAA and 32xAf i'm sure will test it.

BloodBath

But it also depends on a decent machine, so users will still have to have a good system to play games like that, would be interesting how smooth games look with 16x AA

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm sure at a high resolution you don't even need 16xAA. It would be completely smooth at 1600x1200 @ 8xAA.

I wonder if the ppu's (physics processing units) will become mainstream on motherboards. It's supposed to be the next big thing since deticated gpu's were introduced. It will be a dedicated physics processor to take some load off the main processor for modern games that are introducing complicated physics like hl2.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Role on 3d photgenic gfx. Maybe then they can rest easy and we will have a set standard.

I'd say we're looking at that in the next 5-8 years.

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:
    Yeah I'm sure at a high resolution you don't even need 16xAA. It would be completely smooth at 1600x1200 @ 8xAA.

Well im playing some games well over 1600x1200 and it doesnt make them all look really smooth, like ut2k4 etc

Well im playing some games well over 1600x1200 and it doesnt make them all look really smooth, like ut2k4 etc

With AA and AF, I've played ut2004 at 1600x1200 with 4xAA and 8xAF and it looked smooth to me?

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:
    With AA and AF, I've played ut2004 at 1600x1200 with 4xAA and 8xAF and it looked smooth to me?

BloodBath

Maybe im just too fussy, lol

Maybe im just too fussy, lol

Looking at your rig I think you are. I can't use AA for the latest games and god damn it I hate jaggies. Waiting for the next gen of cards before I upgrade though.

BloodBath

Ah when it comes to pcs u can never have enough preformance, hehehe, i think its time for me toupgrade, gonna wait for dual core cpus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

gline wrote:
    Ah when it comes to pcs u can never have enough preformance, hehehe, i think its time for me toupgrade, gonna wait for dual core cpus :D

True but i wouldnt want to be the first to get a dual core, i think you will be losing preformance until application start to take advantage of it, at the min there are very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Saw an interesting way of utilising Dual Core setups in a laptop.. They are considering partnering a Centrino style processor with a Pentium 4 processor.. The Centrino would kick in when running on the battery or applications that require little processing power.. The P4 (high power consumption) would kick in when needed like when playing a game..

• Advertisement
Advertisement