Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole new setup, advice needed?

Options
  • 15-03-2005 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭

Well after many weeks researching and adjusting and re-adjusting my selection i've finally come up with this as my whole new setup to replace my dangerously overheated laptop. My budget is 2k and i wont be updating for quite a while after this splurge. Anyways it will be used mainly for gaming and all the other usual stuff.

Antec Sonata Miditower, Black w/380W PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz Socket 939, 512KB cache
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Dual Pack Kit
    Abit AV8 Mainboard for S939 KT800PRO,SATA,GbLAN,ATX,Dual-CH DDR
    PowerColor Radeon X800PRO 256MB DDR3 AGP
    Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB S-ATA 16MB cache 7200RPM
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB S-ATA 8MB cache 10000RPM
    Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
    Plextor DVD recorder PX-712SA SATA black 16x(DVD±R)

Monitor
    Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 913N TCO99 Monitor, Silver, 8ms
    or
    BenQ 19" LCD FP937S+ TCO03 Monitor, Silver, 8ms

My main issue is the antec's power supply, i'm not sure if 380w will be enough. I was thinking of just getting some coolermaster case and a tagan psu seperately but this will push costs up. Also any recomendations for a monitor?

Any suggestions/input will be greatly appreciated and hopefully put my worrying mind at rest.

Cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

your proccessor alone will be drawing 90w or maybe a bit more, and those X800's tend to be power hungery beasts too. If i were you i'd be aiming at getting a QUALITY 450w unit to make sure you have enough current getting through to your bits at stable voltages. Otherwise, you can end up with lots of hard to track down errors and mysterious shutdowns. :eek:

The PSU's included with most cases are their budget model, fine for an office type pc, but not really practical if you're gonna push your rig to any extent.

*haunted by the memories of his first system build*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

why not try this when you change over into euro you might get a monitior aswell..but it will be your full 2k gone but a nice rig

http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/review_apr05_matfirebladeplus.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

your proccessor alone will be drawing 90w or maybe a bit more, and those X800's tend to be power hungery beasts too. If i were you i'd be aiming at getting a QUALITY 450w unit to make sure you have enough current getting through to your bits at stable voltages. Otherwise, you can end up with lots of hard to track down errors and mysterious shutdowns. :eek:

The PSU's included with most cases are their budget model, fine for an office type pc, but not really practical if you're gonna push your rig to any extent.

*haunted by the memories of his first system build*

Yea your making a lot of sense, better safe than sorry i suppose.
    I found THIS handy site for calculating wattage needed and it has my system at 400w so it looks like no antec sonata for me :(

What happened on your first build that was so bad???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Sonata is a great case. Sell the included psu and put that money towards a good one.
    Alot of people recomend the OCZ psu's and tagan. Look for a psu with dual 12v rail, apparentlly you need that specially if you goint to oc.
    Why not get a 3200+ and oc it to 3500 speeds? Cheaper cpu, more money for a btter psu. Also dfi make good mobo's. (not guaranteed those speeds thats all)

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I agree with jozi, the antec is one of the best cases i've had... Why don't u use the psu in it at first then if there's any problems with power just sell it n upgrade. I had a 300w Zalman psu one of my old systems running allot more than what u have there n it never gave me any trouble...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Just on the monitors lads....

Monitor
    or
    enQ 19" LCD FP937S+ TCO03 Monitor, Silver, 8ms

I'm thinking of purchasing one these shortly... i was going to go with the samsung...but the only concern i'd have...is the the fact that it doesnt have a dvi connector?

Would you lose quality by just using the vga ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

MR DAZ wrote:
    Just on the monitors lads....

Monitor
    or
    enQ 19" LCD FP937S+ TCO03 Monitor, Silver, 8ms

I'm thinking of purchasing one these shortly... i was going to go with the samsung...but the only concern i'd have...is the the fact that it doesnt have a dvi connector?

Would you lose quality by just using the vga ???

Yea this was bothering me aswell, Samsung have a great reputation but some of there more expensive monitors have response times of 30ms!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Yeh i think it would be a good idea to start off with a decent psu so you wont need to buy a better one later on, ocz or antec etc are good and there are a few other good brands.

Advertisement