Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cole tapping up incident

• 16-03-2005 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

Ashley Cole has reportedly testified that he was tricked into meeting with Jose Mourinho and Peter Kenyon in a London hotel.

The Arsenal full-back met with Premier League lawyer Nick Fitzpatrick on Monday as part of the investigation into claims that Chelsea illegally 'tapped' him up.

The Daily Mirror claims that Cole told Fitzpatrick that he and his agent Jonathan Barnett went to London's Royal Park Hotel to meet super-agent Pina Zahavi about a possible move to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Cole says that Mourinho and Kenyon then entered the room without any warning and he immediately tried to leave - fearing he had been set up.

But according to the Daily Mirror, Mourinho then said: "Hold on a minute. Stay and listen to what we have to say.

"We are looking to sign just two players this season. The first one we have secured is Steven Gerrard. The other is a left-back. You are the best left-back in the world and we want you."

Mourinho then apparently offered to double Cole's wages to £110,000 a week, at which point Cole replied: "Thanks Mr Mourinho, but no thanks. I want to go abroad. If I'm not playing for Arsenal, I don't want to play for another English club."

Cole then claims he left the room, a story which is being backed up by his agent Barnett.

Chelsea are offering a completely different version of events in which Barnett initiated the meeting, no offer was made to Cole and Kenyon then phoned the agent to say he was not interested in the England full-back.

The conflicting testimonies means that Fitcpatrick is likely to recommend a full Premier League disciplinary commission into the affair.

If it is true that COle said this, hes a bit stupid isnt he? Basically admitting that he was meeting with someone over a move to Madrid or Barca?!

How do Arsenal fans feel about this? haha i notice gerrard is on his way aswell! If this incident involved gerrard they i would want him out.

I dont want any player who isnt 100% commited to liverpool playing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

hahaha, this is getting funny.

Cole is fairly honest, and the fact that he is damaging himself by these confessions would suggest that he is telling the truth. Furthermore its very very clever by him.
    He doesn't want to go to Chelsea so two things are going to happen:
    He's going to go abroad
    He's stayign at Arsenal

I really hope what they do is not dock points, cause like thats stupid imo, but ban them from transfer for 2 periods.
    That'd be hilarious, and a fair fine.
    Chelsea might get made an example of now, get a feel for the downsides of being at the top :)
    Since Gerrard is now goign to be brought into this, that'd be so funny. Gerrard now gets investigated for tapping up :)

I wonder though, is there any precedent for this sort of situation? Like who do they believe the player or the manager?
    I'd be inclined to believe Cole, just cause Mourinho seems to have no respect for specific rules, as he openly says, and even though every other club does it, he does it openly, and I don't think the FA will like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    I really hope what they do is not dock points, cause like thats stupid imo, but ban them from transfer for 2 periods.
    That'd be hilarious, and a fair fine.
    Chelsea might get made an example of now, get a feel for the downsides of being at the top :)
    Since Gerrard is now goign to be brought into this, that'd be so funny. Gerrard now gets investigated for tapping up :).

i agree on the docking points thing. Definitly shouldnt. I dont agree on the transfer period idea. What punishment did Liverpool get? It was an out of ocurt settlement wasnt it? Same should happen with Chelsea.

The reason you dont think points should be docked is because its basically punishing them for being so far ahead, and a **** way to make the league more level yes?

Banning them for 2 transfer periods is the same thing. Its petty. They should get the same punishment as everyone else. I dont understand the big deal to be honest, everyone is tapped up.

Just because Gerrard has agreed to join doesnt mean he was tapped up. Chances are LIverpool agreed to let them talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

someones telling porkies and it is a serious matter. The fact that Chelsea have to play Arsenal in a game that could have decided where the title went makes the incident very serious . I also wonder had Gerrard his Chelsea deal when liverpool last played Chelsea in the League. Rumour has it that he had.

Considering the joke going the around that Steven Gerrard has already scored his first goal for Chelsea and his uncharacteristic lacklustre performance in that game in conjunction with the claim by cole that Murinho said Gerrard is alread signed it would make you wonder if something underhand has happened.

I think Chelsea are facing a very heavy penalty which could include points being docked if they are the ones found guilty of lying.

Tapping up players is rife in the game but what makes this case more serious is that the teams concerned are in the same league and so conflict of interests for players is an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Problem wiht this one is 2 high profile teams who at the time were playing for the title so it can be viewed as cheating or ungentlemanly conduct, would imagine it be a fine but would love if they werent allowed sign players till xmas...LOL just for the funniness :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

The Fa and Premier League is an old boy's club who are obviously a bit rattled by the money of Abramovich and the style of management of Jose, but they don't have a history of enforcing their rules, they usually turn a blind eye to this kind of behaviour which goes on everyday (although usually in a more discreet manner) and in the end it's going to come down to Cole's word versus that of Kenyon , Kenyon has more power so Chelsea will probably be let off with a slap.

Good to hear Cole won't be in blue though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'd say Coles mobile was hopping with Gerrard on the other end telling him he was a big wuss for opening his gob so easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

With Mourinho painting himself in such a bad light in the last couple of weeks, will the authorities could come down heavily on him, and indirectly the club, in an effort to make an example of him and his arrogance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'd say Coles mobile was hopping with Gerrard on the other end telling him he was a big wuss for opening his gob so easy

I was thinking that too. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Muppet wrote:
    someones telling porkies and it is a serious matter. The fact that Chelsea have to play Arsenal in a game that could have decided where the title went makes the incident very serious . I also wonder had Gerrard his Chelsea deal when liverpool last played Chelsea in the League. Rumour has it that he had.

Considering the joke going the around that Steven Gerrard has already scored his first goal for Chelsea and his uncharacteristic lacklustre performance in that game in conjunction with the claim by cole that Murinho said Gerrard is alread signed it would make you wonder if something underhand has happened.

Id like to think Gerrard is an honest player, but im not so sure. If what Cole said is true, what happens if Liverpool draw Chelseain the champions League on Friday, will he play to the full of his ability?

Personally I think players should be allowed to freely talk to whoever they see fit, better that its out in the openrather than very secretive. Technically footballers are just company employees like the rest of us. We are free to have interviews for other jobs when we like, dont see why its any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Stekelly wrote:
    Technically footballers are just company employees like the rest of us. We are free to have interviews for other jobs when we like, dont see why its any different.

Because there are rules of conduct to prevent players being influenced by other clubs during the season, which as you say could result in an opposing player not playing to the best of his ability when playing against his future employer, and with the transfer windows being the only time allowed to bring in new players there should be no reason to begin discussions now for something that can only happen after the close of the season.

Regardless of individual players' honesty, the agents are the money men and will do anything they can to ensure their own hefty fees on transfer deals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement