Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are the best/cheapest online brokers?

Options
  • 16-03-2005 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Im setting up an online account soon but with so many brokers im not sure who to go with. I looking for the one where u can buy on the Irish stock exchange too. I would greatly appreciate some advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FreekyGeek

I have just started looking in to this online trading as well. I find www.fool.com is a great source of info, but it's American based so it mainly talks about the NY stock marked.
    For trading on the Irish market there is www.gt247.ie They deal with CFDs rather than shares, I'm not sure if there is much of a difference between them but their web site has a lot of info that I'm reading at the mo.
    I don't know of any others yet but if you find some I'd appreciate the some more info.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

check out askaboutmoney.com they have a stickie in their Savings and Investments forum about cheapest brokers on the Irish Stock exchange.

Sharewatch seem to be the cheapest however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

FreekyGeek,

There is a fool.co.uk board too which has a section for irish shares, or did last time I looked at it a year or so ago but it wasn't very active. There is good general info on their boards though and as mentioned askaboumoney.com is worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

pmk19 wrote:
    Im setting up an online account soon but with so many brokers im not sure who to go with. I looking for the one where u can buy on the Irish stock exchange too. I would greatly appreciate some advice
    Why online? Online trading in the Irish market is very expensive. You will pay very high transaction costs. If you are planning on buying/selling regularly, you are more likely to make your broker rich than make yourself rich. There are offline brokers who offer low cost trading (such as Campbell O'Connor.
    FreekyGeek wrote:
    For trading on the Irish market there is www.gt247.ie They deal with CFDs rather than shares, I'm not sure if there is much of a difference between them but their web site has a lot of info that I'm reading at the mo.
    If you don't understand exactly what CFD's are, don't touch them with a bargepole. If your share tanks, the CFD will result in greatly enlarged losses. For example, see this SBPost story about Elan CFD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm playing around with the sharewatch trading demo at the moment. They charge 30 euro per trade as a flat rate as far as I can tell. Which if you only buy and sell occasionaly is'nt the worst.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement