Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Database Questions

Options
  • 16-03-2005 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hello people !!

I have some questions about databases that i need answers to, but i am a bit of a novice so wouldn't mind going and reading through a few websites and see if i can answer them myself first, instead of posting up every dumb question first.

I am trying to figure out subclasses, I know that if i create my main table i can have a few subclasses below that will inherit everything in the main table (sup class ??) ..... just to to learn this along with the create statements etc.

Can anyone help out ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've never heard of subclassing a db table although I could be wrong. Are you actualy working with strongly typed datasets or something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Hmmm, I think you're mixing two different things up, databases and classes (datatypes ?). What I think you're talking about in databases can be achieved by adding an extra table which has the extra fields you need plus a field to link it to the main table's primary key (unique identifier). For example if your main table is Orders your primary key may be something like OrderNumber. You could then have another table OrderDetails which has more information relating to each Order plus an OrderNumber field to relate it to the Orders table. Then each time you find an Orders record you can find the/each OrderDetails record which has an OrderNumber equal to the Orders one.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Are you looking at an object Oriented Database??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

looks like its not a relational database but an Object Oriented Database that you are talking about - thought they were still quiet theoretical?

Advertisement