Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie feed?

Options
  • 19-01-2001 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

good thinkin, your own very special little portal, I like your thinkin, you're hired (just as soon as I have a job to offer)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Yeah it's dead handy, I'm only getting slashdot and slashcode at the moment but it'd be the job if I could see what's going on over here too.

Also need to figure out if I can get dilbert and userfriendly smile.gif

Actually I think that the userfriendly strips have a fairly predictable filename which would make it possible but I don't think they want that kind of thing going on so.....

Oh and I'm quite happy where I'm working now so you'd have to offer me millions and billions of moneys to get me to work for you smile.gif (unless, of course, you're based in California)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'll look into it...

DeV.

Cheers, no problem if you're not into it, it's understandable. But I'm sure a lot of people here would be willing to stick it onto their websites which might generate a bit more traffic.

I'm not looking for a full script or anything, just the file that the script read from (if such a thing exists).

BTW Dev, did you use any of the code I gave you for it? (my nick was Karla back then)
    Just wondering, not gonna sue you or anything smile.gif

Is it possible to get a feed of the latest posts on boards.ie and snarf them into a website?

If not is there any chance I could take a look at the raw text file that the newest posts section on the front page is generated from?

I'm just putting together a little perl-script for my desktop in work that get all the headlines I need from sites I visit and displays them in IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Dev, take a look at www.ubbdev.com and look at slahubb.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think we can hack together a file that lists heading, poster, time and link so that it can be read and included into a html page.

Might take a while as we are all real busy right now but the internet is about linking sh|t together so as long as they end up here... the more roads that lead here the better!

I have to admit something tho...
    Cloud is the main man behind the code (with some javascript code from Talliesin). Dan keeps the box up and Figment and Cloud did the design on ther front page, (which I think rocks).
    I just try and keep everyone happy smile.gif so I'll have to see what they say as far as the tech side goes but I've yet to see Cloud not be able to hack something together.

I'm checking out that site now.

DeV.

oh, by the way, the idea of your own page of stuff you regularly check is a good one! In fact its how Yahoo started smile.gif

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

If you can parse this file somehow you should be all set:

http://www.boards.ie/latest.txt

This is used on our main index page, and auto-generated every 10 minutes.

Regards,

John.
    --

[This message has been edited by Cloud (edited 24-01-2001).]

Ahh that's better smile.gif
    The first one would have been VERY difficult (if not impossible) to parse.
    Cheers, I'll get to work on it

It's prolly not gonna be on a live website for a while, although, I might stick it up on my own site (www.webmongers.org) sometime.
    I just use it on my desktop in work. I click the icon and it opens IE with the generated page.

Here's the code if you're interested:
    #!/usr/bin/perl 

use CGI;
    use LWP::Simple;

sub getAllHeaders
    {
       my $slashdot = "http://www.slashdot.org/ultramode.txt";
       $rc = LWP::Simple::getstore($slashdot, "slashdot.txt");

my $slashcode = "http://www.slashcode.com/ultramode.txt";
       $rc = LWP::Simple::getstore($slashcode, "slashcode.txt");

my $boards = "http://www.boards.ie/raw.txt";
       $rc = LWP::Simple::getstore($boards, "boards.txt");
    }

yarrada yarrada yarrada
    sub printBoardHeadlines
    {
       my $boards = "boards.txt";
       open (BOARDS, "<$boards") or die $!;
       @boards = <BOARDS>;
       close (BOARDS) or die $!;

print <<TABLE;
       <table border="1" width="75%" align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff"
              bordercolordark="#ffffff" bordercolorlight="#000066" cellspacing="0">
        <tr>
         <td valign="top">

<font face="verdana, tahoma, sans-serif" size="1">
          <b>Boards<P>
          <ul>
    TABLE

foreach $line (@boards)
       {
          ($forum, $url, $topic, $who, $when) = split(/\|/, $line);
          print "<li>";
          print "<a href=\"$url\">$topic</a> <i>posted by $who in $forum - $when</i>\n";
          print "</li>";
       }
          print <<TABLE;
         </ul>
         </b>
         </font>
        </td>
        </tr>
       </table>
    TABLE
    }

Dirty code but it works wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Enygma (edited 24-01-2001).]

• Advertisement

Cool. I visited webmongers a few months ago when looking for slashcode clones for www.GalwayCity.com ...

Yep the first format would have been tricky, I added the raw.txt file just for you!

All the best,

John.
    --

W00ps!

Here's the raw version as well:

http://www.boards.ie/raw.txt

forum|url|subject|username|date

Can you post the address of any pages using this facility (just for my own interest!) - thanks.

John.
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Here you go Bard

up you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Any chance of having web clipping support so I can read boards.ie on my wireless palmpilot?

(no I'm not kidding smile.gif)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually just installed DPWeb on the pilot and it would be doable to make a palm pilot version of boards.ie if you just removed all the crap from the page (icons/adverts/java menus).

Hobbes, if you like I'll put up a page on my site that outputs the 10 newest posts, then you can set your web-clipper to traverse into those links. Not as good as getting the full site but it might do for a while.

I'm using Avant Go for my web-clipping, it's pretty good too. Nice and flexible. What's DPWeb like? Never heard of it. (I'm new to Palms). Oh could you recommend any other good apps? The best one I've got so far (apart from avant go) is the start up screen that says "Don't Panic" in big friendly letters smile.gif

Back to the main topic. Another problem with getting boards.ie onto a Palm is the frames.
    As far as I can make out my little Palm doesn't like frames at all.

Maybe the raw thread files could be parsed into XML and then transformed through an XSL??

Or boards.ie could just switch from UBB to Jive (www.coolservlets.com/jive) which is much better wink.gif

Advertisement