Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

benitez to real madrid, i hope this aint true

• 16-03-2005 6:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

There was rumours today on some papers and websites that real madrid want benitez at the end of the season to replace their current manager as they are having a terrible season by their lofty standards.
    I for one hope this is not true as finally we have a boss that in a few years time can win us the title.Anyone else hear this rumour, maybe our friend bannor who seems to have inside knowledge when it comes to liverpool knows more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The Times
    Benítez in quandary over rumours of Real interest
    By Oliver Kay

RUMOUR and innuendo have been recurring themes at Liverpool of late, but even by the standards of a season of unrest throughout the club, yesterday was one of rare and unwelcome intrigue as the latest instalment on the future of Steven Gerrard was followed by growing speculation that Rafael Benítez, the manager, could be offered the chance to coach Real Madrid.

Uncertainty had surrounded Gerrard long before his name was dragged into the FA Premier League investigation into Ashley Cole’s “illegal” meeting with José Mourinho, the Chelsea manager, who is alleged to have claimed that the Liverpool captain will move to Stamford Bridge at the end of the season. But the threat of a raid from Madrid for Benítez has prompted even greater anxiety at Anfield before this evening ’s rearranged Barclays Premiership match at home to a resurgent Blackburn Rovers.

With Vanderlei Luxemburgo, the incumbent, in danger of becoming Real’s fifth managerial casualty in less than two years, Benítez is under serious consideration for the hottest seat in European football. Fabio Capello, the Juventus coach, is believed to be the only name ahead of him on the shortlist as Florentino Pérez, the Real president, seeks some long-overdue stability.

There is a belief in Spain that Benítez, raised in Madrid, would jump at the chance to take charge of Real and, while he has talked of the “bond” he has developed with Liverpool since his arrival from Valencia last summer, his public utterances on the subject yesterday were sufficiently vague to add to the speculation rather than dampen it. “You talk about rumours and my answer is the same: I’m thinking only about Blackburn,” Benítez said when Real’s interest was put to him. “I don’t waste my time talking about rumours.”

Under duress, Benítez offered a firmer indication of his commitment to Liverpool, but it was a little short of unequivocal. “At this moment, I say that for me it’s a challenge to do the best for my club,” he said. “I prefer to talk about these things, not rumours. I am here, I’m proud to be here and I want to be here. I have a contract, so why not?”

Benítez was also apprehensive about discussing Gerrard, whose future he has been forced to address regularly. The manager’s mood can hardly have been lifted by reports yesterday that Cole, the Arsenal defender, had told lawyers investigating his infamous rendezvous with Mourinho at the Royal Park Hotel in London that the Chelsea manager boasted of having “secured” Gerrard’s signature for next season. If those claims are true, Chelsea could face a second round of accusations of an illegal approach, but Liverpool, while committed to fighting to keep Gerrard, are unlikely to make the official complaint that the Premier League would need to broaden its investigation.

Benítez, unwilling to allow external factors to cloud his thinking, maintains that Gerrard is committed to helping Liverpool to achieve their ambitions for this season, which would be helped considerably by victory over Blackburn tonight. “Steven is our player, he has a contract with us and we don’t want to sell him,” the manager said.

Victory this evening would at least shift the focus back on to football before Sunday’s crucial Merseyside derby against Everton at Anfield, but Blackburn, unbeaten in five matches in all competitions, will hope to add to the sense of turmoil.

I also saw a story yesterday from a former Real player saying they never should have let Del Bosque go. Should be interesting - I think anyone would be mad to take up the Real job unless they were planning on shortening their career. In ten years time Real will have gone through another 5-15 managers and the job would still be there for Benitez, hopefully he sees it that way too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pah! I expect better from Oliver (not Peter) Kay. Benitez is an instand Anfield legend with a pretty much guaranteed 5 years of improving fortunes. He'd need his head checking to allow himself to become yet another casualty of the Real board...as for Gerrard *shrugs shoulders*, I care less and less.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

This rumour has been doing the rounds on nearly every Liverpool forum since Benitez appointment, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He probably has more sense than to ditch Liverpool for that circus - Luxemburgo's doing alright so far by normal standards, they were already around ten points behind Barca when he got there, which he briefly reined in to four or so, and he has had no real time to buy players or stamp his authority on the club.

As much as you can with the likes of Raul in the dressing room. Actually they should make Raul manager for prime hilarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think this version of events is more honest as it goes into what the Madrid board and manager are saying... (yes I know Perez is a tosser!).
    Despite speculation, Perez insisted: "Next year's Real Madrid will be built around Luxemburgo."

Luxemburgo added: "Sincerely, I'm not worried about whether I'll continue or not at Real Madrid next year because my thoughts are only centered on getting the team to finish as well as it should this season.

"I'm not worried at all that other names of possible substitutes have appeared. This is very common when things aren't going so well.

and
    "I've got a five-year contract and I can't see why I'm not going to honour it," Benitez added.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

It's a complete fabrication. Perez wants Luxemburgo to remain on as manager so that the next crop of upcoming Brazilian stars will be attracted to the club. His second choice for the job is Arsene Wenger.

Advertisement